Speculation: Speculation, Rumours, and all ArmChair-GM-ing Needs v.12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
While I agree he doesn't play a power game anymore, when I watched him with Boston (haven't really seen Colorado much the past year) he was actually very active forechecking and getting toward the slot. Not a perimeter player at all like he was his last year or two in Calgary.

^^^

Iggy was such a perfect fit with Boston, I’m still mad that they managed to **** it up.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
That's a fallacy of the highest degree. Do you really think that follows logically? :huh:

I mean, it's like saying that Ray Bourque couldn't help the Bruins win in his prime, ergo there's no way he could help the Avs win.

There are plenty of data to show that Iginla and winning do not go together well. It's not just one team.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
There are plenty of data to show that Iginla and winning do not go together well. It's not just one team.

There's plenty of data to show that Iginla and winning do go together, too:

-WJC
-2 Olympic gold medals
-dragging a bad team to within a goal of winning the Cup (along with Kipper, of course)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
There's plenty of data to show that Iginla and winning do go together, too:

-WJC
-2 Olympic gold medals
-dragging a bad team to within a goal of winning the Cup (along with Kipper, of course)
Memorial Cup, World Cup too I believe. The only thing he hasn't won is a Stanley Cup.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
^^^

Iggy was such a perfect fit with Boston, I’m still mad that they managed to **** it up.

He kinda screwed it up, himself. Haha. First, by refusing to go there at the last minute and choosing Pittsburgh the year that Boston got to the finals, then by going for an expensive contract (granted, it was mostly in bonuses) rather than an actual cap-friendly one once he signed with them.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
He kinda screwed it up, himself. Haha. First, by refusing to go there at the last minute and choosing Pittsburgh the year that Boston got to the finals, then by going for an expensive contract (granted, it was mostly in bonuses) rather than an actual cap-friendly one once he signed with them.

And now he can’t even go back to Boston to chase a cup because their cap is so screwed and they have no defense.

I am so mad.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Iggy was a great player and leader, but that was in the past.

He's now an expensive complimentary player who doesn't play the 100 ft game required of Stanley Cup champions.

He's ned to play in a top 6 role to be effective, yet lacks the checking skills (or checking desire) to play against the other team's top lines. For example, match his vs. Chicago's Toews/Hossa/whomever line and he'd be held in check offensively, and be ineffective in a d-role.

Aug 3, 2010
Just thinking ahead a few years here, but how badly could an Expansion Draft hurt Calgary in terms of leaving behind unprotected players in the next 3-5 seasons?

The rules of the 2000 expansion were a choice between:

A) one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards
B) two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards.

Choice A would have the Flames be able to keep their (hopefully) young core of D and F at the expense of two of Gillies, Ortio, or McDonald

Choice B would have Gillies and McDonald but might force the Flames to leave out some forward depth (think Bouma, Backlund, Colborne, Jooris) and perhaps two of Kylington, Andersson, Morrisson, or Wotherspoon.

The toughest part is if an Expansion happens it's undoubtedly going to be right around 2020; and if everything goes right for Calgary, that would be their main Cup window from now.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Just thinking ahead a few years here, but how badly could an Expansion Draft hurt Calgary in terms of leaving behind unprotected players in the next 3-5 seasons?

The rules of the 2000 expansion were a choice between:

A) one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards
B) two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards.

Choice A would have the Flames be able to keep their (hopefully) young core of D and F at the expense of two of Gillies, Ortio, or McDonald

Choice B would have Gillies and McDonald but might force the Flames to leave out some forward depth (think Bouma, Backlund, Colborne, Jooris) and perhaps two of Kylington, Andersson, Morrisson, or Wotherspoon.

The toughest part is if an Expansion happens it's undoubtedly going to be right around 2020; and if everything goes right for Calgary, that would be their main Cup window from now.

I expect we will see an expansion draft in the summer of 2017.

By then Gillies might be eligible but even then it is unlikely and I highly doubt McDonald will be eligible to be claimed. If they it likely means their development is ahead of schedule, so I don't see how that would be a bad thing. Kylington & Andersson are unlikely to be eligible as well since they may still be in junior/Europe.

But if expansion is later it will become more difficult for sure. But a key rule in the last expansion was that an existing team could lose no more than 2 players (because there was 2 expansion teams). With 30 teams and no more than 23 players being picked per expansion team we could conceivably only lose 1 player.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Assuming expansion happens after the 2016/17 season (the Las Vegas arena will be ready for 2017) Gillies/McDonald wouldn't need to be protected as they wouldn't have enough NHL experience - unless something incredibly unexpected happens.
same with Andersson & Kylington. There is a chance even Klimchuk, Poirier and Jankowski would be ineligible to be claimed as well.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Don't be surprised to see expansion phased in over a number of years too, especially if more than one or two teams are joining.

1998 - Nashville
1999 - Atlanta
2000 - Columbus/Minnesota

Completely optimistic schedule:
2017 - Las Vegas, Kansas City (being ready with arenas)
2018 - Seattle
2019 - Toronto 2.0 (Markham)

I see QC getting a relocated team, not an expansion team.

same with Andersson & Kylington. There is a chance even Klimchuk, Poirier and Jankowski would be ineligible to be claimed as well.
Poirier should be eligible by then as he would have a couple of years and likely nearly 70 NHL games. Unless he sucks, then who cares if he's claimed.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Don't be surprised to see expansion phased in over a number of years too, especially if more than one or two teams are joining.

1998 - Nashville
1999 - Atlanta
2000 - Columbus/Minnesota

Completely optimistic schedule:
2017 - Las Vegas, Kansas City (being ready with arenas)
2018 - Seattle
2019 - Toronto 2.0 (Markham)

I see QC getting a relocated team, not an expansion team.

Poirier should be eligible by then as he would have a couple of years and likely nearly 70 NHL games. Unless he sucks, then who cares if he's claimed.
The only reason Atlanta & Nashville were staggered was because of arena delays. Also sounds like no Seattle bid will come as bids close Monday and they have no plans for an arena. I think we see 2 expansion teams. Las Vegas & Quebec City with someone (Florida or Carolina) moving to KC or Houston.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
:popcorn:

Would love to see this so called data. Please provide it as I am pretty sure false claims are frowned upon.

I am sorry, Iggy was a playoff dynamo in his 17 year career with the Flames. :sarcasm:

and the Pens are thrilled with his playoff contribution as well

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Who honestly cares what Pens fans say? He was one of their most consistent player during that run. Cool to see you can't support your argument, though.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I am sorry, Iggy was a playoff dynamo in his 17 year career with the Flames. :sarcasm:

and the Pens are thrilled with his playoff contribution as well

Iginla had 48 points in 53 playoff games in his 17 year career with the Flames. He absolutely was a playoff performer. :huh:

And it's been well-documented how poorly he was utilized in Pittsburgh by Bylsma, and despite that he still produced in the playoffs. Then he was a driving force on Boston the following year while playing through a high-ankle sprain.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Iggy was essentially a PPG player in his time as a Pen, playing mostly on the 3rd line which is impressive. Bylsma is also idiot, defending lineup decisions he made, will not hold much weight in my books.

Pens and Bruins fans seemed to think they were getting prime Iggy, when he was actually brought in to be a complementary piece in both instances. If any of those fan bases want to point the finger, they should point it at their core.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Iginla had 48 points in 53 playoff games in his 17 year career with the Flames. He absolutely was a playoff performer. :huh:

And it's been well-documented how poorly he was utilized in Pittsburgh by Bylsma, and despite that he still produced in the playoffs. Then he was a driving force on Boston the following year while playing through a high-ankle sprain.

Iggy was essentially a PPG player in his time as a Pen, playing mostly on the 3rd line which is impressive. Bylsma is also idiot, defending lineup decisions he made, will not hold much weight in my books.

Pens and Bruins fans seemed to think they were getting prime Iggy, when he was actually brought in to be a complementary piece in both instances. If any of those fan bases want to point the finger, they should point it at their core.

C'mon guys, let's not facts distract us from the fact that Iginla is a poor playoff performer, poor leader and all around terrible human being.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
C'mon guys, let's not facts distract us from the fact that Iginla is a poor playoff performer, poor leader and all around terrible human being.

Let's not forget 87.656589999 % of his goals were empty netterz!!!!!!! C'mon like totes overrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad