Speculation: Speculation, Rumours, and all ArmChair-GM-ing Needs v.12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Thinking more and more that we see a Giordano - Hamilton combination at the start of season next year.

I know Brodie and Gio made one of the top pairings in the league; but when you get a chance to put two number one defencemen on the same pair... it's just hard not to do.

We have a lot of defensive depth, not a lot of space for them.
Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Wideman
Russell - Engelland
Smido
Nakladal and Wotherspoon are probably NHL ready too.

I'm thinking that there will have to be a move or two before the season starts; far too many roster players, not enough room. If a guy like Poirier beats out a guy like Raymond, there's no reason to have Poirier back in the AHL just because May-Ray's got a one-way deal worth some big bucks.

Aug 21, 2014
Thinking more and more that we see a Giordano - Hamilton combination at the start of season next year.

I know Brodie and Gio made one of the top pairings in the league; but when you get a chance to put two number one defencemen on the same pair... it's just hard not to do.

We have a lot of defensive depth, not a lot of space for them.
Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Wideman
Russell - Engelland
Smido
Nakladal and Wotherspoon are probably NHL ready too.

I'm thinking that there will have to be a move or two before the season starts; far too many roster players, not enough room. If a guy like Poirier beats out a guy like Raymond, there's no reason to have Poirier back in the AHL just because May-Ray's got a one-way deal worth some big bucks.

That top 4 has the potential to score over 160 points..

May 27, 2012
Earth
Yeah, oh my god.

Giordano - 70 points
Hamilton - 55 points
Brodie - 35 points
Wideman - 60 points
Total - 220 points
That's... wow. Could realistically happen.

When was the last time a team had three 50 point d men, have two over 60 points and one over 70? (only team I can think of is Detroit, even then I don't think they were that close either.)With the Hamilton acquisition, points will go down between the players, not that it's a bad thing. it's just less time to spread around.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
When was the last time a team had three 50 point d men, have two over 60 points and one over 70? (only team I can think of is Detroit, even then I don't think they were that close either.)With the Hamilton acquisition, points will go down between the players, not that it's a bad thing. it's just less time to spread around.

But... But... Potential... :(

On an unrelated note, WE NEED TO SIGN BRAD BOYES. NOW.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I know its not everyone's favorite source but interesting none the less for a rainy Sunday.

Eklund said:
Family day today, but I was just told there are five teams with big interest in Maple Leafs forward James van Riemsdyk...and three teams are very serious. The Washington Capitals, Minnesota Wild and Calgary Flames have put together major proposals and have entered into discussions internally regarding a move

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...or-Flames--FlyersJets-Nash-and-Sharks/1/70057

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
One big positive about JVR is that he has a very cap friendly deal for his production. But he's probably costing us Poirier, Wotherspoon and a 1st. I would love him though, we would be legit contenders if we landed him.

May 27, 2012
Earth
One big positive about JVR is that he has a very cap friendly deal for his production. But he's probably costing us Poirier, Wotherspoon and a 1st. I would love him though, we would be legit contenders if we landed him.

Contenders for the upcoming season might be a stretch, but after that...I agree.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
JVR - Backlund - Frolik
Bouma - Bennett - Jones
Colborne/Shore/Raymond - Jooris/Stajan - Ferland/Bollig/Byron

Gio - Hamilton
Wideman - Russell
Brodie - Engelland

If we can get an upgrade on Engelland and move some assets for a top 6 player that would be good for us. It is becoming too crowded in the bottom 6 that we might lose players via waivers.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Yeah, as much as I love our prospects I would probably make that deal. As long as we keep one of Klimchuk or Poirier I think we will be alright. Getting a youngish top six established winger would undoubtedly make us one of the favorites in the west.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Our upgrades to our bottom pairing will come from internally. Really, our biggest question mark to me is in net. I'd really love JVR though, he totally fits our identity and he's a really good guy.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
If the Flames were to target JVR, I think Jankowski might actually be a piece Toronto would be interested in, and that the Flames might move.

Perhaps

Jankowski + Ortio + Raymond (cap dump) + ?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I wonder if the Leafs would be interested in Ortio.

Have to wonder what the package could be.

For Kessel, they got a first, an okay prospect, a lower end but NHL ready prospect and a serviceable NHLer they could probably flip down the road. They also had to retain salary for that package.

I don't think Calgary should be trading first round picks; not yet.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
If the Flames were to target JVR, I think Jankowski might actually be a piece Toronto would be interested in, and that the Flames might move.

Perhaps

Jankowski + Ortio + Raymond (cap dump) + ?

I agree, I brought this up a week or so ago a potential young top six center is exactly what they need. Also that trade would essentially not effect us at all assuming the plus is a pick.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
They would want our 1st.

I mean, there's a chance we regress, always. I don't think we will... But you never know.

Hate for that pick to be a lotto for the services of JVR; who hasn't lived up to his draft pedigree quite yet.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I mean, there's a chance we regress, always. I don't think we will... But you never know.

Hate for that pick to be a lotto for the services of JVR; who hasn't lived up to his draft pedigree quite yet.

Debatable. He has come around the last 2-3 seasons. Last season was just a disaster season for the whole team. He would probably do better on a more stable team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad