Speculation: Speculation, Rumours, and all ArmChair-GM-ing Needs v.12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You're absolutely right. One is a top 10 scorer in the league and one is a solid top six winger. So why should JVR get a bigger deal? Even with a sweet heart contract?

The premium piece is the first. If Calgary has to give up two, they should hang up the phone.

TO is all about analytics and skill now, moving away from bigger players that are average at hockey. Granlund was a 2nd round pick, hes shown that he has top 6 skill and that he can play in the NHL. I actually think we may regret trading him, but I really don't see a place for him regardless. I think a 1st, a player like Granlund, and a guy like Ortio or Wotherspoon who is also a former 2nd and should be a steady dman for a long time is good value for the Leafs.

Honestly we found this out, when you rebuild you almost need to bottom out. They got Marner, now go get Mathews next year, that's how they are going to get their elite pieces. They won't get it from dealing JVR. But if you can get pieces that will help you turn the corner quicker and fit the direction you are going, while shedding cap, that's a win.

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
I am not sure what TO would actually be looking for other than young pieces but I would hope something like the following is what Clagary is offering for JVR

Raymond
Granlund
Jooris
2nd

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I am not sure what TO would actually be looking for other than young pieces but I would hope something like the following is what Clagary is offering for JVR

Raymond
Granlund
Jooris
2nd

If we got that TO fans might actually riot on the streets; there's no 'A' piece in that deal. I'd be happy but I think there has to be a bit more meat.

I think our first has to be involved, that being said, it's scary to not select in the first round two years in a row. The last thing we want to do is not replenish to cupboard every draft; but Calgary has been doing a great job in later rounds, European imports and with college kids.

1st Rounder
Granlund
Wotherspoon
Raymond

JVR
2nd/3rd Rounder

That would get me thinking big time. At this past draft, we saw how important those 2nd and 3rd round picks were.

Aug 21, 2014

Raymond
Granlund
Jooris
2nd

That 2nd would probably have to be a 1st. But other than that, it looks good. :nod:
TOR get's a familiar face, young NHL'er and a top 6 forward prospect, plus the previously mentioned 1st.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
That 2nd would probably have to be a 1st. But other than that, it looks good. :nod:
TOR get's a familiar face, young NHL'er and a top 6 forward prospect, plus the previously mentioned 1st.

If Raymond, Granlund, Jooris, and a 1st is all it would cost to get JVR, then you have to pull the trigger if you're Treliving.

Unfortunately, I still think the Leafs would want more in return (and could probably get it elsewhere).

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
@Volica, this past draft I really feel like we had 2 x 1st round picks. I agree, I think it's dumb to trade your 1st, 2 years in a row, but I feel like we are covered by this years draft by getting Andersson and Kylington. If you give up your 1st, you do not give up that 2nd though. Hopefully we could also acquire another 2nd leading up to the draft.

Aug 21, 2014
If Raymond, Granlund, Jooris, and a 1st is all it would cost to get JVR, then you have to pull the trigger if you're Treliving.

Unfortunately, I still think the Leafs would want more in return (and could probably get it elsewhere).

I think you're selling Granlund short but whatever. :laugh: Toronto has a thing for small skilled players ATM.

Other than JVR, I'd really like Komarov from the Leafs...

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I think you're selling Granlund short but whatever. :laugh: Toronto has a thing for small skilled players ATM.

Other than JVR, I'd really like Komarov from the Leafs...

Fair enough. I like Granlund but I guess I'm still hoping for more when it comes to him. I think he has the tools to become a top 6 forward but as of right now, he's a tweener.

I also don't see much of a need for Komarov on this team.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I was thinking last night, what about if we used Russell and got Gardiner out of the deal as well (que the Gardiner sucks posts). Gardiner is still young and could really rebound well in our system and with our coaches.

Russell
Granlund
Ortio
1st

for

JVR
Gardiner

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I was thinking last night, what about if we used Russell and got Gardiner out of the deal as well (que the Gardiner sucks posts). Gardiner is still young and could really rebound well in our system and with our coaches.

Russell
Granlund
Ortio
1st

for

JVR
Gardiner

I'd do it if it included Raymond or Engelland, and Bollig.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Russell
Granlund
Ortio
1st

for

JVR
Gardiner

Not a fan myself.

Zero desire to move Russell. Especially to downgrade to Gardiner.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

Russell
Granlund
Ortio
1st

for

JVR
Gardiner

Way too much to give up. Russell is better than Gardiner (not saying Gardiner sucks, but Russell is far more reliable). I'm also not crazy about giving up Ortio just yet.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
@Volica, this past draft I really feel like we had 2 x 1st round picks. I agree, I think it's dumb to trade your 1st, 2 years in a row, but I feel like we are covered by this years draft by getting Andersson and Kylington. If you give up your 1st, you do not give up that 2nd though. Hopefully we could also acquire another 2nd leading up to the draft.

Calgary did INSANELY well in the second round this past season. You got two kids who had first round upside late in the second round because of some very minor flaws (conditioning and attitude). Mind you, I don't know if I want to be playing this game two years running.

I'd also hate for us to pick up JVR, destroy our chemistry (especially considering we already have two new faces who will be playing major roles) and that 1st rounder ends up being a top 10 pick. I mean, I don't really see if happening that way, but there is that chance that everything goes incredibly wrong.

If Toronto threw in their second, that trade would be a no brainer, especially since their second will be in the very low 30's.

1st, Granlund, Wotherspoon, Raymond for JVR, 2nd round pick or 3rd round pick.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Calgary did INSANELY well in the second round this past season. You got two kids who had first round upside late in the second round because of some very minor flaws (conditioning and attitude). Mind you, I don't know if I want to be playing this game two years running.

I'd also hate for us to pick up JVR, destroy our chemistry (especially considering we already have two new faces who will be playing major roles) and that 1st rounder ends up being a top 10 pick. I mean, I don't really see if happening that way, but there is that chance that everything goes incredibly wrong.

If Toronto threw in their second, that trade would be a no brainer, especially since their second will be in the very low 30's.

1st, Granlund, Wotherspoon, Raymond for JVR, 2nd round pick or 3rd round pick.

I think people take this too seriously. Before the season starts it shouldn't be a problem. In the middle of the season, sure it could "could" be a problem. We don't know what happens in the room so we can't judge the chemistry. We can only tell what we see on the ice, and that's the tip of the iceberg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad