Speculation: Speculation, Rumours, and all ArmChair-GM-ing Needs v.12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
But... But... Potential... :(

On an unrelated note, WE NEED TO SIGN BRAD BOYES. NOW.

This is actually a good suggestion if we didn't have so many NHL players for next season. Adding another RHS RW (Jones is the other) would give us options on the wing.

He would be a very friendly contract. 2yrs @ 2.5 million. (1.25AVV)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No to moving Janko or Klimchuk. Janko looks like at worst he will be a big defensive centre that can win draws (the Leafs also have that in Gauthier) and Klimchuk plays such a good all around game that he will be able to play with anyone on any line in our lineup. Not keen on moving Poirier either, but I'd move him before Janko or Klimmer.

What about capitalizing on a couple prospects whose value is higher than ever?

to CGY:
- James Van Reimsdyk
- Matt Frattin (contract dump)

to TML:
- Joni Ortio
- Micheal Ferland
- David Jones (quality cap dump)
- Protected First in '16

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
No to moving Janko or Klimchuk. Janko looks like at worst he will be a big defensive centre that can win draws (the Leafs also have that in Gauthier) and Klimchuk plays such a good all around game that he will be able to play with anyone on any line in our lineup. Not keen on moving Poirier either, but I'd move him before Janko or Klimmer.

What about capitalizing on a couple prospects whose value is higher than ever?

to CGY:
- James Van Reimsdyk
- Matt Frattin (contract dump)

to TML:
- Joni Ortio
- Micheal Ferland
- David Jones (quality cap dump)
- Protected First in '16

I'd rather send Granlund over Ferland, he probably holds more value and fits the Leafs needs anyways.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Not interested in giving what it would likely take to get Van Riemsdyk. Giving up a first plus other stuff for a winger at this stage of the rebuild would be a mistake; it's the least important position and should be addressed last. Nor can I see management putting all their eggs in the Gillies basket; goaltending can be unpredictable and closing windows, again at this stage, would be shortsighted.

So unless Treliving can put his wizard hat on again and get the Leafs to take a package involving chiefly Granlund/Shore/2nd/Agostino as the main pieces, I'm entirely content to wait for Poirier/Klimchuk/Smith/Ferland/Carroll/Shore/Agostino, etc., to develop.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Not interested in giving what it would likely take to get Van Riemsdyk. Giving up a first plus other stuff for a winger at this stage of the rebuild would be a mistake; it's the least important position and should be addressed last. Nor can I see management putting all their eggs in the Gillies basket; goaltending can be unpredictable and closing windows, again at this stage, would be shortsighted.

So unless Treliving can put his wizard hat on again and get the Leafs to take a package involving chiefly Granlund/Shore/2nd/Agostino as the main pieces, I'm entirely content to wait for Poirier/Klimchuk/Smith/Ferland/Carroll/Shore/Agostino, etc., to develop.

56878373.jpg

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Debatable. He has come around the last 2-3 seasons. Last season was just a disaster season for the whole team. He would probably do better on a more stable team.

Well, he's the second overall and had six NHL seasons under his belt. Only once cracking the 60 point plateau. It's not really debatable that at this time he's living up to his draft position.

At this stage we cannot be trading based on where he was selected 8 years ago. And I don't think we are in the position to be trading that first away yet. Unless they want to protect it?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

It appears you forgot McDonald exists? Trading Ortio is not "putting all the eggs in the Gillies basket"

Also Carroll in the group of prospects you list? Want to name Riley Bruce too? :laugh:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Thing is, there's a handful of guys we can't keep anyways. Trading a 1st hurts, but we just got Hamilton and Frolik, if you add JVR on that list and to our roster, well I think we are a top 5 team in the West. Ortio may end up being good, but we could just as easily use Ramo for the next couple of years. If you can flip some fringe assets for a legit piece like JVR, I'm all for it.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
This is surprisingly accurate.
It appears you forgot McDonald exists? Trading Ortio is not "putting all the eggs in the Gillies basket"
Didn't forget; McDonald doesn't change anything given how far away he is from even being in the discussion of potential starters.
Also Carroll in the group of prospects you list? Want to name Riley Bruce too? :laugh:
Caroll has bottom six potential and given his size/weight, he'd mitigate the need to overpay for a bigger top six option. Bruce is also a defensemen; Harrison would have made more sense as a example.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Thing is, there's a handful of guys we can't keep anyways. Trading a 1st hurts, but we just got Hamilton and Frolik, if you add JVR on that list and to our roster, well I think we are a top 5 team in the West. Ortio may end up being good, but we could just as easily use Ramo for the next couple of years. If you can flip some fringe assets for a legit piece like JVR, I'm all for it.
Not just top 5 in the west, I'd say in the league. With Hamilton & Frolik in the fold, adding JVR who is a borderline first liner (who has a big body and can play RW) could be incredible for our future.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Van Reimsdyk
Klimchuk - Bennett - Poirier
________ - Jankowski - Colborne (can you imagine this line with another 6'3+ player on it? :laugh:)
Bouma - Arnold - Shore/Jooris

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This is surprisingly accurate.

Didn't forget; McDonald doesn't change anything given how far away he is from even being in the discussion of potential starters.

Caroll has bottom six potential and given his size/weight, he'd mitigate the need to overpay for a bigger top six option. Bruce is also a defensemen; Harrison would have made more sense as a example.
You think way too highly of Ortio and seemingly fail to realize how often goaltenders change hands and McDonald is only 2 years behind Gillies.

My point was Carroll was a 7th rounder, quite frankly the fact you put any stock in a 7th round overage pick if laughable. He only looked good last year because he was 2-4 years older than 3/4 of the league. Carroll is unlikely to be more than an AHL regular, just like Bruce is.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I guess his arms would get pretty sore after hoisting the cup 3 or 4 times.

It's true. Many suspect that Kane's broken clavicle has a lot to do with straining those shoulders so much lifting the Cup. This last Cup might have been one too many. Next year will tell us much about the risks involved.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Eh, one doesn't have to be high on a player to think they're not expendable.
Bottom line IMO is Ortio would be easily replaced, thus in the right deal he is expendable. For a potential 1st line winger, he is definitely expendable.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah, when I proposed something about Ortio and JVR, I wasn't trying to suggest that Ortio is expendable. No more than our first round pick was viewed as expendable when we got Hamilton. In a deal for a great young player, you're going to have to give up some assets of quality. And of the quality assets we have available, I feel like Ortio makes a great deal of sense for both sides. For the Flames, it clears up that 3-goalie situation without risking waivers. For the Leafs, Ortio is right in the age range that they should be looking at.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
AS,
I think Ortio could be part of a deal, and I think he fits what the leafs are trying to do. That being said, goalies are such a cheap commodity in the league that I don't think he'd be a centre piece for it. If we k ew Calvary was picking 20th this season, I'd have no problem moving our first for JVR. The likelihood of getting a 50-60 point player are pretty small at that point. Plus there's more upside there in JVR possibly. However, I think it's fair to say we had a great season and some other teams really had some dud years... There's always a chance we regress this next season. I'd hate to move a top pick next year for JVR.

TO and Calgary seem like good partners; but I don't what could be the parts of the deal that go back and doesn't gut the flames.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
I also actually really like the idea of signing Christian Ehrhoff to a deal - anyone else agree?

I mean, damn:

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Wideman
Russell - Ehrhoff

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
You think way too highly of Ortio and seemingly fail to realize how often goaltenders change hands and McDonald is only 2 years behind Gillies.

My point was Carroll was a 7th rounder, quite frankly the fact you put any stock in a 7th round overage pick if laughable. He only looked good last year because he was 2-4 years older than 3/4 of the league. Carroll is unlikely to be more than an AHL regular, just like Bruce is.

Also, don’t offend my boy Austin.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Ortio can't be both easily replaceable but also a key piece in a trade for someone like Van Riemsdyk. The reality is, the Leafs would want names like Poirier, Klimchuk and maybe Andersson. The prospects that coincidentally, just happen to be the ones that some aren't that high on isn't going to get it done. If Dubas is intrigued by Jankowski, then maybe there's something that could be done. With Monahan, Bennett and Backlund on the team and Arnold looking promising, Jankowski's actually expendable.

Can't really see the Flames giving up two firsts in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille