Speculation: Source of the "divide" in the room

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
I would add that everyone must be held accountable equally (you probably meant that anyway). If Maurice's idea of accountability for Wheeler is a quiet word when they're alone and his idea of accountability for a young guy is benching or fourth line, accountability isn't going to do any good.

Kind of related: Wheeler's snippiness to reporters is an indication of a shortage of patience. I don't think that's a shortage a captain should have. Same thing for self-control (which is also manifest in his brainless penalties).
Would you have rather seen Wheeler smiling and answering everything calmly ? Just wondering? I didn’t mind the irritation from him, as thier season literally ended 10min prior. You may say snippy, I may have seen passion

Reactions: kanadalainen

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
He blended all of the other lines all year. I can’t think of any other logical reason.
Like I started off , we are trying to complete a puzzle without all the pieces. You will never know the answer to that. It could be your right or it could be a grey reason you haven’t thought of and will never be privy too

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Exactly my point, as team leaders for whatever reason they didn't adhere to it. That has a trickle down effect on the rest of the team. If the team leaders aren't doing what they are supposed to while still getting all the ice time then I am not surprised to see other players follow the lead and not adhere to the system.

Exactly-you nailed it here

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Would you have rather seen Wheeler smiling and answering everything calmly ? Just wondering? I didn’t mind the irritation from him, as thier season literally ended 10min prior. You may say snippy, I may have seen passion

Too bad he doesn't use some of that passion on defense and getting the hell off the ice at the end of a regularly sized shift and controlling his stick.

I don't care if he smiles, but don't be swearing at people who are just doing their jobs because you think you're above criticism. The reporter should have told him to go **** himself, but the reporter had patience and self-control. Check some of the other losing-team interviews. Not an asshat among them.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Like I started off , we are trying to complete a puzzle without all the pieces. You will never know the answer to that. It could be your right or it could be a grey reason you haven’t thought of and will never be privy too

Doesn't change the fact that he had LONG stretches of poor play from the top line and many games that we were losing in where he tried a revolving door of lines. Why not throw out Ehlers and Laine with Scheif for 3 or 4 shifts in a 3rd period where the team is essentially out of the game.

I think I saw one legitimate shift mid-seasonish where Wheeler played with Little and Scheif flipped to the other wingers. Moving Ehlers, Connor and Laine sparked them at different times of the year. No reason not to try to spark S & W in a lost cause game. They can always go back the next game.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Elite in big games? What have you been watching lately? Did you see him 3rd period game 5 and all of game 6? He was running around like a 5 year old chasing the puck.

Where did I say elite in big games? I said elite on PP still. And that his effort is through the roof in big games. The guy cares. Never said he was the smartest player. But when people question his effort and leadership thats pretty far off IMO. If anything he sometimes goes too hard and as you said runs around. He was the least of our problems. There is about 1/2 a team that has more blame in that series. The stretch run of the season, ok I can get mad at him about that. But aside from game 6 where everyone was bad, he did all you could hope from him. Anything beyond that is on the coach in terms of his usage, minutes, role, etc.

rndmHockey

Apr 15, 2018
Useless gossip. No divide. Just a (young) team with high and easy expectations for the season after having good success on previous season. That also leading to difficulty keeping their game at required level through out the season. Can and will happen to any team, just look at situation now after 1st round is almost completed.

I hope everyone in the team learned a lot from this season. Previous season means nothing in the next one. Your regular season might not mean at all in the playoffs. However, how your team enters the playoffs means a lot.

Reactions: RabidOne

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Lots of critique of Scheifele and Wheeler here, and as team leaders they deserve some scrutiny. But if we are looking for culprits based on underlying metrics let's not forget Little, Connor and Laine. They all had very poor metrics this season.

Reactions: Jets 31

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
It’s on the coach to let crap like this develop into a problem in the locker room. The stench won’t leave the room before Maurice does, and a new coach with authority cleans up his mess.
Guys like that don’t last long anymore.
There is a reason guys like Mike Keenan and Randy’s Carlyle dont get jobs or don’t keep them very long anymore.
It’s a different generation of player now.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Guys like that don’t last long anymore.
There is a reason guys like Mike Keenan and Randy’s Carlyle dont get jobs or don’t keep them very long anymore.
It’s a different generation of player now.
I guess it depends on how a coach exerts it. I see a lack of authority as a bigger problem from a team success point of view.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This. A lot of wild speculation going on with tiny bits of partial information as the building blocks and cemented together with cherry picked stats. People seem to need to point fingers and put together some grand conspiracy theory of what went wrong.

When it comes down to it we were a good but not great team that lost in the 1st round in a coin flip series to a team we ended up tied with in points. Did we underachieve, yes but not to some egregious amount. Not nearly to the extent as some others most notably TB. This version of the Jets is about a 1st or 2nd round exit level team with a glaring inability to hold onto 3rd period leads. Next year's team will look a lot different and hopefully comes together to be greater than the sum of its parts. And no not everyone will be besties and yes there will be some internal conflict along the way as there is on any team.

Reactions: Jets 31

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
The reporter should have told him to go **** himself, but the reporter had patience and self-control. Check some of the other losing-team interviews. Not an asshat among them.

Not accurate. Have a gander at Jonathon Marchessault. King of the 'hats.

After last night's loss to SJ, he actually said this:

"They called five minutes for that? Why don't you have hockey replay or something? It changed the whole outcome of the game," forward Jonathan Marchessault said. "Seriously. What is that? It's so disappointing. . The game is not even close, it's 3-0. Call the two, OK, but a five? With something you don't even see? You just called the outcome. It's a joke, that's what it is. It's embarrassing."

++++++++

On so many levels, these comments are asinine. This is a treatise, a poster child of all things brainless and brutal. What's really revealing and embarrassing is Marchessault's indignance. Fact - Pavelski's head is badly damaged. After the brutal crosscheck by Eakin, wherein he hit the ice off-balance, he was knocked out cold, blood all over the ice. Not pretty. And the coach, players and fans of the VGK complain about the call. And oh hey, how about this: try to defend and not get scored on 4 times in five minutes? Absolutely self-servicing tripe dished up by this player/genius.

Try this thought experiment: Insert Wheeler for Marchesssault and have him say the same things. Context is important, but in general, hockey players are not sought out for their overarching wisdom, sagicity and solemnity in the face of a bad loss. :laugh:

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2006
There was speculation on TSN1290 this morning that Wheeler is the problem.
TSN had an article the other day quoting Wheeler that basically he’d go through a wall for Maurice and that Maurice was beyond reproach. That bugged me, because your captain is basically telling your GM, players, fans, and media that Maurice shouldn’t be touched. Maybe other players don’t feel the same way?

It was a little much for me, and if there are players who don’t dig Maurice, they will feel like Wheeler doesn’t have THEIR backs.

Last edited:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
TSN had an article the other day quoting Wheeler that basically he’d go through a wall for Maurice and that he was beyond reproach. That bugged me, because your captain is basically telling your GM, players, fans, and media that Maurice shouldn’t be touched. Maybe other players don’t feel the same way?

It was a little much for me, and if there are players who don’t dig Maurice, they will feel like Wheeler doesn’t have THEIR backs.

I agree, this was a bit too much.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
TSN had an article the other day quoting Wheeler that basically he’d go through a wall for Maurice and that he was beyond reproach. That bugged me, because your captain is basically telling your GM, players, fans, and media that Maurice shouldn’t be touched. Maybe other players don’t feel the same way?

Yep

Leaders dont do that.

He is the captain.
He is suppose to be the bridge for the players and coaches, even management.

It doesnt work well. That locker room culture must really have some issues that needs addressing.
The make up of the team is mostly young guys also. Young guys who believe they are at that point that they need to be the lead wolves.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Wheeler doesn't seem to understand what it takes to be a captain. I think he should go back to being an assistant captain and give the C to Josh Morrissey. I'm really concerned with the damage Wheeler is doing to the locker room, that mostly consists of younger guys. He either needs to be stripped of his captaincy or traded.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I know nothing about those claimed locker room issues, but I do know potential sources for such issues:

Totally unfair disciplining / punishment culture, stupid and unfair TOI and role/opportunity distribution.

Certain veterans seems to be simply untouchable by Maurice regardless how stupid penalties they take or how lazy they defend. Younger guys get punished harsly occasionally in comparison. That's unfairness that doesn't only affect those that got mistreated, but also those who were benefactors.

Certain line combinations are not touched even if they don't work at all for an extended period, like CSW was for 10+ games in the early season for example. Only thing Maurice did change was that he increased their TOI even more, which was absurd.

It would also help if Maurice takes some responsibility and doesn't just throw others under the bus. Also PoMo, do not promise increased TOI/role, if you end up with decreasing TOI/role. That doesn't exactly build trust.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

If other players don't feel that way, what is a leader supposed to do? Let it fester? Allow it and knowingly let different beliefs work against each other?

Just because Wheeler comes out publicly in support of the coach doesn't mean he isn't trying to be a unifying force in the room with players who have issues.

Again, people hearing sound bites and extrapolating things as if they know everything that goes on.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Not accurate. Have a gander at Jonathon Marchessault. King of the 'hats.

After last night's loss to SJ, he actually said this:

"They called five minutes for that? Why don't you have hockey replay or something? It changed the whole outcome of the game," forward Jonathan Marchessault said. "Seriously. What is that? It's so disappointing. . The game is not even close, it's 3-0. Call the two, OK, but a five? With something you don't even see? You just called the outcome. It's a joke, that's what it is. It's embarrassing."

I posted my thought before Marchessault went nuts. Anyway, March attacked the league, a corporation that can use some criticism for its inconsistent and sometimes bizarre reffing. Wheeler attacked a schlub just doing his job. I see a difference.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Just learned on another forum that Lowry hates Laine because he is lazy and that Laine dines alone at McD's when the rest do team meals!
Laine does not do the dishes. That's being lazy. Also he is saving money for retirement by using McD's 2 for 1 coupons. He's not paid enough.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

Precisely. Wheeler is campaigning for Maurice to keep his job because he knows he risks losing his exalted status and permanent place beside Scheifele if another coach comes in.

Nov 24, 2006
If other players don't feel that way, what is a leader supposed to do? Let it fester? Allow it and knowingly let different beliefs work against each other?

Just because Wheeler comes out publicly in support of the coach doesn't mean he isn't trying to be a unifying force in the room with players who have issues.

Again, people hearing sound bites and extrapolating things as if they know everything that goes on.
This is a thread on a hockey forum speculating about a divide in the Jets locker room. I chimed in with a potential source of conflict.

Should I speculate about everyone's favourite cheese instead?

Reactions: hn777
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad