Speculation: Source of the "divide" in the room

Status
Not open for further replies.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
I think what I posted to one other thread needs to be posted here also.

”Maurice is way too ”nice” and scared of his star/veteran players. The way he handles them almost shows that he looks at WPG roster on paper, sees an overly stacked team and now he has no balls to say anything to the star players because he wants to be there so badly.

He is afraid he gets ”eicheled”.

The coach always has to come first. And be the highest in the hierarchy. That’s how it is in Toronto for example, because Babcock was brought there on a huge contract before these star players - they better listen to him.

Unfortunately, many times coaches switch places and the teams stay the same. I don’t think anything is going to change in Buffalo or Edmonton either because those couple star players own the locker room and basically run the team. It’s a real common issue in the NHL - thankfully not as bad as in the NBA.”

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Would you have rather seen Wheeler smiling and answering everything calmly ? Just wondering? I didn’t mind the irritation from him, as thier season literally ended 10min prior. You may say snippy, I may have seen passion

Call me old-fashioned but I think some kinds of passion are best left behind closed doors. :nod:

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
NHL press is generally the worse of all the major NA sports. Honestly could be mostly replaced by a bunch of Q cards.
Well, I'll agree only as far as the between period interviews. Total waste of 90 seconds, each and every time.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Too bad he doesn't use some of that passion on defense and getting the hell off the ice at the end of a regularly sized shift and controlling his stick.

I don't care if he smiles, but don't be swearing at people who are just doing their jobs because you think you're above criticism. The reporter should have told him to go **** himself, but the reporter had patience and self-control. Check some of the other losing-team interviews. Not an asshat among them.

Well, maybe Marchessault. :laugh:

Reactions: slurpee addict

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I used to think that this "divide" thing was all conspiracy theory nonsense. But then I remembered that they brought back Matt Hendricks, and that ain't for his on-ice contribution. Makes you think...
Nothing to think about. Maurice said Hendricks was brought back because the youngsters were complaining about ice time and Scheifele and Wheeler didn't have the time to deal with it. Wheeler even requested that Hendricks be brought back.

Reactions: Nyx

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Nothing to think about. Maurice said Hendricks was brought back because the youngsters were complaining about ice time and Scheifele and Wheeler didn't have the time to deal with it. Wheeler even requested that Hendricks be brought back.

What does that even mean? No time? Did they have second jobs? Were they painting the arena? Didn't have the ability to deal with it maybe. Or maybe respect. But guess what, Hendricks didn't deal with either, and neither did Maurice.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
My suspicion is all the locker room garbage is centered around Laine, he thinks he is entitled to something he hasn’t earned.

If it is, new kids that don't fit the culture (if you call what we have a culture) often end up out the door. No matter how high they were picked or their talent level. Look what happened with Seguin.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I don't know about the veteran preferential treatment , Connor isn't exactly a veteran and he got lots of ice time . Maurice's biggest fail was never breaking up Schief and Wheeler and i have no answer to the reason why , i'd like to know but i don't think we will ever really know why Maurice does this . I do hope next season he has Wheeler on a second line with Little or maybe even Hayes if we sign him .

I don’t think Hayes is a possibility based on his usage.
I’d be shocked actually

Reactions: DannyGallivan

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don’t think Hayes is a possibility based on his usage.
I’d be shocked actually

Yeah especially considering Hayes will likely garner a lot on the open market. It's not worth keeping him. We absolutely need a 2C though. It's the biggest hole in our lineup.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Agreed Wheeler has to come up with a short list for Cheveldayoff :sarcasm:

haha I don't think even Wheeler knows who is available. It's a pretty short list. Might be able to pry someone out of a basement team cbut there aren't much left and you'd likely have to give up a a lot. If we look towards guys that are expired next summer on teams on he downswing we have...

Mikko Koivu - 36 years old next year, but a perennial Selke kind of guy, coming off a major injury though.
JG Pageau - 26 years old, stuck on a bad team. UFA soon, has shown some flashes but can he be good enough to be our 2C? Doesn't seem like it.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Agreed Wheeler has to come up with a short list for Cheveldayoff :sarcasm:

:laugh:

giphy.gif

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Take away his PlayStation and hire Gary Roberts to train him for the entire off season. If he actually does have a bad back, it is not only imperative but mandatory that he does all he can to strengthen it.

Video games are for nine-to-fivers and ham-and-eggers... you wanna be a multi-millionairre living the NHL lifestyle, put away childish things and dedicate yourself to your sport for at least 11 months out of the year.

Better not be any hockey players who watch movies or read books either!

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
What does that even mean? No time? Did they have second jobs? Were they painting the arena? Didn't have the ability to deal with it maybe. Or maybe respect. But guess what, Hendricks didn't deal with either, and neither did Maurice.
Maurice's quote was that "there's only so much of Mark and Blake to go around". Take that as you may...

Reactions: Mbraunm

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg

Definitive source, please? I don't believe that was ever said.

I'll ask a third time. Which youngsters? Tanev, Copp, Lowry are all the same age or older than Scheifele. The other ones getting bottom-six minutes are Perreault and Little. Who are 31. Who in this story are the complaining young guys?

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Definitive source, please? I don't believe that was ever said.
Watch the fricking presser after we traded for Hendricks. Some of you guys call yourselves Jets fans then miss out of some of this basic information that really should be common knowledge.

iannn

Jan 7, 2010
I think what I posted to one other thread needs to be posted here also.

”Maurice is way too ”nice” and scared of his star/veteran players. The way he handles them almost shows that he looks at WPG roster on paper, sees an overly stacked team and now he has no balls to say anything to the star players because he wants to be there so badly.

He is afraid he gets ”eicheled”.

The coach always has to come first. And be the highest in the hierarchy. That’s how it is in Toronto for example, because Babcock was brought there on a huge contract before these star players - they better listen to him.

Unfortunately, many times coaches switch places and the teams stay the same. I don’t think anything is going to change in Buffalo or Edmonton either because those couple star players own the locker room and basically run the team. It’s a real common issue in the NHL - thankfully not as bad as in the NBA.”

I don't know that using Toronto as an example strengthens your argument. Go ask any leafs fan how they feel about Babs :laugh:

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Oh my god you almost dropped an F-bomb on me. A respecting fan.
Well you call me out suggesting I'm lying, when you haven't even done your research, after coming across as a know it all, what do you expect???

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Well you call me out suggesting I'm lying, when you haven't even done your research, after coming across as a know it all, what do you expect???

Hey, I'm just asking for sources because yeah...people lie or infer things from sound bites all the time. People are scripting an HBO drama out of single quotes here. "not enough Mark and Blake to go around" = Blake is the GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad