Speculation: Source of the "divide" in the room

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
What is it guys? I definitely think there is a divide in the room. If I had to guess its centered around Maurice's special treatment of all vets, but particularly his C & A's. Young guys can't do anything wrong, vets can't be benched even if they took 5 bad penalties in a row. His misuse of players in general has got to rub players wrong. Thoughts

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
What is it guys? I definitely think there is a divide in the room. If I had to guess its centered around Maurice's special treatment of all vets, but particularly his C & A's. Young guys can't do anything wrong, vets can't be benched even if they took 5 bad penalties in a row. His misuse of players in general has got to rub players wrong. Thoughts

All of the above!

Reactions: Robinson2187

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
They get paid millions of dollars , U.S dollars , to play a game . Too frigging bad if they don't like how their coach treats certain players , i wouldn't favor anyone if i was a coach but this can't be completely new to them . When i played it seemed like the best players got favored only because the coach played them more , but that was because they were our best players .

Reactions: tacogeoff

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
All I know is, Jets Nation and all of its citizens will obsess over this until next season. Perhaps rightfully so. We've seen this team play way below their potential this season - the last season where they could financially afford to keep all of their pieces. Now, changes need to be made just to keep this team in the playoff race, never mind in the Cup Contender list. Gotta fix the divide, if there is one.

Reactions: Robinson2187

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
This is the source of the divide. Get rid of it and problem solved.

CFD-21429-fea-1_s7

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think it all comes down to the younger guys wanting a bigger or perhaps the biggest chunk of the pie and the vets unwilling to give it to them. We saw how upset Buff was when Trouba was on the #1PP unit. Shortly after Buff is right back up there. I agree with that decision but if the young guys on this team feel they aren't getting what they feel they deserve and the vets don't think they deserve less ice time. There will be a divide.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
You have 20 year olds trying to play with 30 year olds being coached by a 50 year old.. you are going to have conflict of some sort and I'm sure every room has an issue.

It's the entitlement generation trying to fit in in a team sport and it's rubbing the veteran players the wrong way... JMO. ;)

I look towards Laine's comments about wanting nothing to do with hockey for a while... is it because he lost in the playoffs or is it because he's finding out being a pro player in the NHL is hard work and things are being demanded of you by your coaches and teammates that you just aren't used to doing?

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
I look towards Laine's comments about wanting nothing to do with hockey for a while... is it because he lost in the playoffs or is it because he's finding out being a pro player in the NHL is hard work and things are being demanded of you by your coaches and teammates that you just aren't used to doing?

Maybe the dude just had a long, injury filled season and wants to relax?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You have 20 year olds trying to play with 30 year olds being coached by a 50 year old.. you are going to have conflict of some sort and I'm sure every room has an issue.

It's the entitlement generation trying to fit in in a team sport and it's rubbing the veteran players the wrong way... JMO. ;)

It's becoming a young man's league. I think veterans all over the place are trying to hold on as long as they can. Seems now more than ever young guys are taking big pieces of ice time.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
They get paid millions of dollars , U.S dollars , to play a game . Too frigging bad if they don't like how their coach treats certain players , i wouldn't favor anyone if i was a coach but this can't be completely new to them . When i played it seemed like the best players got favored only because the coach played them more , but that was because they were our best players .

Making millions doesn't mean you somehow lose human emotions. The idea that just because you make a lot of money you don't have the right to be annoyed and angry is pretty ludacris imo.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think it all comes down to the younger guys wanting a bigger or perhaps the biggest chunk of the pie and the vets unwilling to give it to them. We saw how upset Buff was when Trouba was on the #1PP unit. Shortly after Buff is right back up there. I agree with that decision but if the young guys on this team feel they aren't getting what they feel they deserve and the vets don't think they deserve less ice time. There will be a divide.
But that should be an issue on every team and if it is tats news to me.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
I hate the Wheeler hate. I love the guy. Ya his age is getting up there and we wanted to keep him while the window is open, not as much for how long and expensive his contract is. He is still elite on PP, but really now should be more of a 2nd line winger 5v5. Would balance our lines more then running ELL. Even if he is in the coaches ears, that is when a coach has to be a hard ass and say sorry to 55/26, it is best for the team and as leaders you will leave it at that. Ya he makes some bad plays from time to time, and i got on his case a bit during regular season as well as 55 about back checking, shift length, worrying more about empty net goals then defending..... but the guy cares more then any other player. His intensity is through the roof in big games. He is still our best choice for captain... he is old school, and very intense and professional and passionate. This could rub young guys the wrong way for sure. But they are paid millions to perform, to win. I don't care if a young guy is not having fun because of Wheeler or does not like his leadership style. I think the bigger issue is on our coach, our young players and the other leaders like Scheifele.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think Maurice, Wheeler, Scheifele could have easily avoided much of this doubt and speculation simply by playing apart for a couple games.

That is definitely where a good chunk of anger may come from. I think the two of them are dictating that decision and given they spend pretty much the entire off season together with Oates and then play the entire season together. I think they are telling Mo that they don't want to be split up. We did it their way for a season. Now time to do it a new way.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Leadership styles work differently on different people though. The tough, intense leader isn't going to be for everyone. Some people work better in an atmosphere that they enjoy and work harder for people that they get along with.

Observation from the playoffs, Laine comes out at the beginning of the game and sits at the end of the bench and Buff comes out of the tunnel and punches him hard in the arm almost knocking him over. They both smile and it's like it's game on, then Laine has the best game in a Jets uniform.

Wheeler used to be more smiles and camaraderie last year from what I see as a fan. This year he was mostly scowls and more introverted. Way less fun for sure.

Not saying in any way that this is an issue with the Jets, just observations from the little I see as a fan.

BTW, I don't think Wheeler is elite on the PP anymore. He was when we first started this setup, but he has no answer for it now that people know to block the Laine lane and pressure Wheeler.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I 100% believe that this is Wheeler's show and that Maurice will not go against him.

This can not happen and Maurice not even attempting to split up Wheeler and Scheifele is an absolute joke.

It's a fine line as a coach. Go against the leaders and lose the veteran side of the room. Go against the young guys and lose them. There is no way to win in that situation.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I 100% believe that this is Wheeler's show and that Maurice will not go against him.

This can not happen and Maurice not even attempting to split up Wheeler and Scheifele is an absolute joke.
Maybe Wheeler needs to be traded. if he is sabotaging the team and some of the core wants out because of him, then that needs to be seriously considered. Seems Wheeler's ego is out of control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad