Speculation: Source of the "divide" in the room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I know nothing about those claimed locker room issues, but I do know potential sources for such issues:

Totally unfair disciplining / punishment culture, stupid and unfair TOI and role/opportunity distribution.

Certain veterans seems to be simply untouchable by Maurice regardless how stupid penalties they take or how lazy they defend. Younger guys get punished harsly occasionally in comparison. That's unfairness that doesn't only affect those that got mistreated, but also those who were benefactors.

Certain line combinations are not touched even if they don't work at all for an extended period, like CSW was for 10+ games in the early season for example. Only thing Maurice did change was that he increased their TOI even more, which was absurd.

It would also help if Maurice takes some responsibility and doesn't just throw others under the bus. Also PoMo, do not promise increased TOI/role, if you end up with decreasing TOI/role. That doesn't exactly build trust.

From my recollection, Ehlers was the best fit on the first line but he never got back there regardless of his effort and results.

Laine was promised big minutes before this season started and it never materialized. He even started the season really good, but you can tell he was dejected that no matter what he did, we wasn't going to be rewarded.

Those are just the two examples that come to mind. They aren't completely about individual players either, it's about what is best for the team, and human nature.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
It's becoming a young man's league. I think veterans all over the place are trying to hold on as long as they can. Seems now more than ever young guys are taking big pieces of ice time.
I don’t think this is really the truth. In fact if you look at the playoffs so far, the young guys haven’t been really doing that great. It has been mostly the veterans that have been carrying their teams.

Yeah, youngsters were probably dominating a bit more than before during the regular season, but when the playoffs started, that changed pretty much. Regular season games mean really jackcrap compared to the playoffs games. Just do that well that you get into the playoffs and you are fine. But you need to be able to be successful in the playoffs to be a really good player. Great regular season guys that are playoffs chokers are pretenders, and unfortunately most of the young players have been like that in the NHL lately.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I posted my thought before Marchessault went nuts. Anyway, March attacked the league, a corporation that can use some criticism for its inconsistent and sometimes bizarre reffing. Wheeler attacked a schlub just doing his job. I see a difference.
Did you catch Gallant's press conference after the game? Didn't seem to be all that warm and fuzzy with the "schlubs" in the press.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I know nothing about those claimed locker room issues, but I do know potential sources for such issues:

Totally unfair disciplining / punishment culture, stupid and unfair TOI and role/opportunity distribution.

Certain veterans seems to be simply untouchable by Maurice regardless how stupid penalties they take or how lazy they defend. Younger guys get punished harsly occasionally in comparison. That's unfairness that doesn't only affect those that got mistreated, but also those who were benefactors.

Certain line combinations are not touched even if they don't work at all for an extended period, like CSW was for 10+ games in the early season for example. Only thing Maurice did change was that he increased their TOI even more, which was absurd.

It would also help if Maurice takes some responsibility and doesn't just throw others under the bus. Also PoMo, do not promise increased TOI/role, if you end up with decreasing TOI/role. That doesn't exactly build trust.
I don't know about the veteran preferential treatment , Connor isn't exactly a veteran and he got lots of ice time . Maurice's biggest fail was never breaking up Schief and Wheeler and i have no answer to the reason why , i'd like to know but i don't think we will ever really know why Maurice does this . I do hope next season he has Wheeler on a second line with Little or maybe even Hayes if we sign him .

Reactions: Ippenator

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
This is a thread on a hockey forum speculating about a divide in the Jets locker room. I chimed in with a potential source of conflict.

Should I speculate about everyone's favourite cheese instead?
Would likely be more accurate.

Yes, you chimed in speculating on a potential source of conflict. I chimed in speculating you really don't know what's going on. What's the issue? This whole thread is a group of people who have no idea what they're talking about :nod:.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I don't know about the veteran preferential treatment , Connor isn't exactly a veteran and he got lots of ice time . Maurice's biggest fail was never breaking up Schief and Wheeler and i have no answer to the reason why , i'd like to know but i don't think we will ever really know why Maurice does this . I do hope next season he has Wheeler on a second line with Little or maybe even Hayes if we sign him .

I think that's what perturbs most of us here. There are legitimate options that could have made the team as a whole, better. They tried a lot of things, but never involving potentially the most obvious.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I posted my thought before Marchessault went nuts. Anyway, March attacked the league, a corporation that can use some criticism for its inconsistent and sometimes bizarre reffing. Wheeler attacked a schlub just doing his job. I see a difference.

Fair enough, you may be right, and the NHL is not perfect, but I will throw this out there again. My point in using Marchessault is because he is yet another example is that on any given day a brainless quote will be dished up, especially in the heat of the moment. I suspect that while Marchy will make himself feel better on short notice, Eakin won't be able to sleep well for a month.

Ergo:

1. This is not the first time that a hockey player or coach will bark at media, and it won't be the last. I'm not defending its wisdom, but rather am trying to point out why these "warrior types" say what they do. (Tortorella has made a career of it).
2. The media itself is not lily white or somehow above criticism. In many hockey towns they heavily influence matters. Many players loath their local media and for rather logical reasons.
3. I think its illuminating to recognize the similarity in the underlying stimulus for the way these guys respond to media questions.

Cheers

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don’t think this is really the truth. In fact if you look at the playoffs so far, the young guys haven’t been really doing that great. It has been mostly the veterans that have been carrying their teams.

Yeah, youngsters were probably dominating a bit more than before during the regular season, but when the playoffs started, that changed pretty much. Regular season games mean really jackcrap compared to the playoffs games. Just do that well that you get into the playoffs and you are fine. But you need to be able to be successful in the playoffs to be a really good player. Great regular season guys that are playoffs chokers are pretenders, and unfortunately most of the young players have been like that in the NHL lately.

That is typically where the tide turns. Having good young guys are what gets you into the playoffs but having strong and capable vets is what gets you deep in the playoffs. The game completely changes in the playoffs and the vets are just more used to it.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
There are other ways to disrespect the "schlubs" than dropping an F bomb.
The "schlubs" represent the fans. They don't deserve an f-bomb for calling out the captain/team when it's deserved. It's arrogant... "why should I have to put up with this mere 60 thousand a year reporter. Doesn't he know I could buy his house, his parents house and steal his wife all in five minutes?"

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Again, who are the 'young guys' who are disgruntled and feel they are being mistreated? Connor, Laine, and Ehlers? All three of these guys rotate through the top six with some regularity. It's certainly not going to be Connor. Ehlers certainly sounds like a team player.

Tanev, Copp, and Lowry? These guys are 26-27 (old as, or older than Scheifele) and are on the checking line and seem to be ok with their role. Perreault and Little? 31 year-old veterans who never touch the top line anymore. Hayes? Too new.

Since we've already devoted this much time to crafting an overview for this HBO drama, let's go ahead and determine on what side of the 'divide' the cast members stand on. Who is on House Schwheeler and who is on House Madyounguy?

Reactions: Huffer

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
My suspicion is all the locker room garbage is centered around Laine, he thinks he is entitled to something he hasn’t earned.
Take away his PlayStation and hire Gary Roberts to train him for the entire off season. If he actually does have a bad back, it is not only imperative but mandatory that he does all he can to strengthen it.

Video games are for nine-to-fivers and ham-and-eggers... you wanna be a multi-millionairre living the NHL lifestyle, put away childish things and dedicate yourself to your sport for at least 11 months out of the year.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
What is it guys? I definitely think there is a divide in the room. If I had to guess its centered around Maurice's special treatment of all vets, but particularly his C & A's. Young guys can't do anything wrong, vets can't be benched even if they took 5 bad penalties in a row. His misuse of players in general has got to rub players wrong. Thoughts
I used to think that this "divide" thing was all conspiracy theory nonsense. But then I remembered that they brought back Matt Hendricks, and that ain't for his on-ice contribution. Makes you think...

folix

Jul 24, 2011
You have to look at the context in how he said it. He never said "Paul you can F off" it was more a response to the question he asked and part of the answer then it was a direct attack at the reporter.

And im sorry, if you have ever played any sports at a high level and just lost that huge game that ended your season and some clown who knows nothing about the sport asks his brutal rhetorical question that everyone already knows the answer too.

If he went to Wheeler and asked a game or series question, like what changed in the last two mins scheme wise that allowed to you guys to come back to within one goal? Instead we get the typical "are you disappointed with the result" bullshit question.

NHL press is generally the worse of all the major NA sports. Honestly could be mostly replaced by a bunch of Q cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad