Sony PS5 2

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
596x397.3333333333333-789086803473.jpg

Because resources are finite and Id rather any development team put the time and money into better lighting, effects, polycounts of character models and environments, AI, etc, then spend the time creating 4K assets and cutting back on other areas to get those 4k assets running at 60fps.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Also, Returnal is neither 4k or RT. Complete false advertising considering they claimed it was both.

It is 1080p60fps though.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I would say graphics over framerate is a legit compromise but I will say with how good anti-aliasing is these days I definitely take 1080p60 over 4k30

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
You can not spend a dollar on Genshin Impact and it still ends up as a better game than Breath of the Wild.

Also has a plat. So now I have a reason to play it. lol

Though for some reason the PS4 version doesn't. Always weird when PS5 versions of games have separate trophy lists and you get them all as soon as you start the game. Destiny 2 did that as well... just logged in and got a platinum.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That may be the case, I'm no Breath of the Wild fan, but putting predatory design practices into a game that is perfectly good without it is even worse than putting them in a game that sucks and that nobody would play, IMO. Whether you can technically enjoy your time without it doesn't really matter when the game is designed to exploit you.

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I couldn't really get into genshin. Felt like there was no end goal. Which makes sense for a mobile game developer.

BotW is way better. The map is dark souls level quality of memorable and well made and the writing (not necessarily the story) is incredibly good. The jokes are so damn funny and smart.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I couldn't really get into genshin. Felt like there was no end goal. Which makes sense for a mobile game developer.

BotW is way better. The map is dark souls level quality of memorable and well made and the writing (not necessarily the story) is incredibly good. The jokes are so damn funny and smart.

BotW's map was great. Too bad engaging with it mechanically was one of the most disappointing things in video game history.

Genshin has the edge in everything else. It'll take years but it'll probably end up with a better world as well, considering that they're only at 2 out of at least 7 countries so far.

Its main problem is the Destiny problem; you run out of content on a patch-to-patch basis if you play it enough. Then it just turns into something you login to for 15 minutes a day.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I take Graphics over FPS all day.

I agree with you....so long as the minimum FPS is 60. :)

i.e I would rather have my (entirely hypothetical at this point) PS5 play 4K60 than 1080p120, but I would rather have 1080p60 over 4K30 if that makes sense.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Bought Returnal off Kijiji for 60 bucks (for Americans on here games are $90 brand new in Canada) and it's pretty good. Surprisingly people really hate it though there was quit a few people posting it online like days after release.

I was in a semi blackout with this game. I have to say, this has an extremely UE4 look to it. Similar vibes to Jedi Fallen order on the first stage in terms of visual style.

With that said, the gameplay is extremely solid Housemarque arcade style. I'm really enjoying it. I like that you don't have to re-fight bosses after killing them the first time. I even like the story and atmosphere.

With that said I just have not yet seen a truly next gen experience yet in terms of graphics. There actually is raytracing in this game surprisingly. When you enter the house in the trailer the mirror has raytracing and just absolutely blasts your framerate.

Edit: okay, now I more or less understand why people are ditching this game lol. There is no way to save or suspend a run. Housemarque is actually telling people to use rest mode to save their runs. There's no way to close the game without killing your sometimes hour long run. Lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: sa cyred

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Bought Returnal off Kijiji for 60 bucks (for Americans on here games are $90 brand new in Canada) and it's pretty good. Surprisingly people really hate it though there was quit a few people posting it online like days after release.

I was in a semi blackout with this game. I have to say, this has an extremely UE4 look to it. Similar vibes to Jedi Fallen order on the first stage in terms of visual style.

With that said, the gameplay is extremely solid Housemarque arcade style. I'm really enjoying it. I like that you don't have to re-fight bosses after killing them the first time. I even like the story and atmosphere.

With that said I just have not yet seen a truly next gen experience yet in terms of graphics. There actually is raytracing in this game surprisingly. When you enter the house in the trailer the mirror has raytracing and just absolutely blasts your framerate.

Edit: okay, now I more or less understand why people are ditching this game lol. There is no way to save or suspend a run. Housemarque is actually telling people to use rest mode to save their runs. There's no way to close the game without killing your sometimes hour long run. Lol.
I am on the 3rd BIOME right now... and that is literally the main issue right now. I can't play any other games at the moment with the fear that my current 3 hour run will restart. I have some solid artifacts and such too and breezed through the 2nd boss easily with my current setup so I am abit afraid honestly.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Returnal has a lot of balancing issues as well right now, specifically with the items. Too often the risk isn't nearly worth the reward of rolling the dice on corrupted items/chests. This causes a lack of variety from run to run.

Right now I'm willing to play like one run a day because the moment to moment gameplay is really, really good, but not good enough that I want to start another two hour run from scratch right after dying. It's too exhausting.

Reactions: sa cyred

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I like Returnal, but I wouldn't recommend anybody buy it at full price. There just isn't enough depth or volume of game there to warrant a full retail price.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I like Returnal, but I wouldn't recommend anybody buy it at full price. There just isn't enough depth or volume of game there to warrant a full retail price.
Agreed that I wouldn't recommend at full price at this point, it should have come out in early access. Disagree about the depth and volume part though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad