Sony PS5 2

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Crypto is looking to turn its beady eyes towards hard drives as well so look out for the upcoming SSD shortage that also probably won't help PS5 production.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
So apparently Returnal doesn't actually use raytracing and the "4k mode" is really 1080p. This is the top of the line next gen console. I got to have my 4k60fps raytracing. I got to have it. I just went through the nightmare of playing Jedi Fallen Order at 720p on the Series S, next gen has gotta step up I need my 4k.

Last edited:

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Huh? You can definitely still sell it for a profit after opening the box.
Yes but I'd most likely be either not making as much as I would've or be spending way too much time trying to find a buyer like I did when I sold my used 3080. At this point I'm just going to keep it because I need a console to play the next NHL game anyway.

As for your post about 4k 60 FPS with ray tracing, yeah its just not feasible on console until maybe the mid gen refresh. Even a cross gen title like RE Village which uses ray tracing in a very subtle form still does not maintain a locked 60 fps and is not 4k. The only way you're playing with that fidelity right now is on PC.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Yes but I'd most likely be either not making as much as I would've or be spending way too much time trying to find a buyer like I did when I sold my used 3080. At this point I'm just going to keep it because I need a console to play the next NHL game anyway.

As for your post about 4k 60 FPS with ray tracing, yeah its just not feasible on console until maybe the mid gen refresh. Even a cross gen title like RE Village which uses ray tracing in a very subtle form still does not maintain a locked 60 fps and is not 4k. The only way you're playing with that fidelity right now is on PC.
I really doubt opening the box reduces the price or makes it more difficult to sell, especially if you still have the box.

As for 4k60 with rtx. 1080p with no ray-tracing and false advertising saying there is raytracing. Bogus maaaan. I need my next gen.

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
Should the PS5 to be easier to acquire this Summer? Around July-Sep or Oct? I think it should as I think a lot of people have given up until it’s like in store shelves or something. And the Holiday buzz won’t have happened yet.

Follow @mattswider on twitter and turn notifications on. He posts whenever stores like Target, Best Buy and Sony Direct have restocks. It took me a month or so, had a few close calls, but eventually got one.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Follow @mattswider on twitter and turn notifications on. He posts whenever stores like Target, Best Buy and Sony Direct have restocks. It took me a month or so, had a few close calls, but eventually got one.

Yeah I was going to do that once I have the money put together. Hopefully persistence will pay off.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I really doubt opening the box reduces the price or makes it more difficult to sell, especially if you still have the box.

As for 4k60 with rtx. 1080p with no ray-tracing and false advertising saying there is raytracing. Bogus maaaan. I need my next gen.

There's of course more value in not opening the box. If you're going to spend $750 on a PS5 would you rather have it be a never-opened box or a previously-opened box? Unopened he could have gotten probably an extra $200-300

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
There's of course more value in not opening the box. If you're going to spend $750 on a PS5 would you rather have it be a never-opened box or a previously-opened box? Unopened he could have gotten probably an extra $200-300
Of course you would rather, the question is can you get one. People are already only making $2-300 profit, you really believe opening the box removes all value?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Personally, I do not understand this obsession with 4k 60fps raytracing. It seems to have so little relevance to how good a game actually is, or even how aesthetically pleasing it is, necessarily. The only reason I'm interested in this console is because future good games will stop being released on previous ones.

Reactions: Jovavic

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Of course you would rather, the question is can you get one. People are already only making $2-300 profit, you really believe opening the box removes all value?

Not all value. But significant value for sure. If you can afford a $650 console and absolutely NEED a new console right now... what’s a few hundred more to guarantee its new?

Reactions: robertmac43

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Personally, I do not understand this obsession with 4k 60fps raytracing. The only reason I'm interested in this console is because future good games will stop being released on previous ones. It seems to have so little relevance to how good a game actually is.

Im crossing threads here but I posted in the Xbox thread that the graphics weren’t even that crazy noticeable to me. The games looked great and my buddy went all out on an 85” tv to properly enjoy the “Power of the Xbox”.

Maybe I’m just misremembering the leaps in graphics from the original Xbox to the 360 and the 360 to the X1. Or maybe I’m just being an internet-douche with nitpicky expectations...but what I’ve seen hasn’t screamed NEXT GEN to me

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Not all value. But significant value for sure. If you can afford a $650 console and absolutely NEED a new console right now... what’s a few hundred more to guarantee its new?
Well that's a different conversation, is it $300 or is it $20? Regardless the listing prices arent any different on Kijiji or Facebook marketplace. I don't see any evidence that they lose value opening the box.

I think you're giving people way too much credit. They don't need, and they can't necessarily always even afford it. They just want it and don't want to wait, and if the only one they can find is opened they'll buy it.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Im crossing threads here but I posted in the Xbox thread that the graphics weren’t even that crazy noticeable to me. The games looked great and my buddy went all out on an 85” tv to properly enjoy the “Power of the Xbox”.

Maybe I’m just misremembering the leaps in graphics from the original Xbox to the 360 and the 360 to the X1. Or maybe I’m just being an internet-douche with nitpicky expectations...but what I’ve seen hasn’t screamed NEXT GEN to me
I doubt it. I think it's been widely acknowledged that it isn't as big of a leap as previous generations. To me it feels more like nitpicking to treat a game not being 4k 60fps raytracing as even remotely a big loss.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I doubt it. I think it's been widely acknowledged that it isn't as big of a leap as previous generations. To me it feels more like nitpicking to treat a game not being 4k 60fps raytracing as even remotely a big loss.
The thing is Returnal was actually advertised as a 4k 60fps raytracing game. It turns out it's "1080p in a 1440p buffer upscaled to 4k with checkerboarding" whatever the hell that even means.

They advertised the raytraced lighting, it turns out it just uses the RT cores to increase the framerate when rendering the lighting basically, all the rendering is the same.

Now I can already read your mind, what does that have to do with the quality or look of the game. Well 1080p is much blurrier than even 1440p and ray traced lighting is definitely going to improve the look of the game, does it affect gameplay no but I got to have my 4k raytracing.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The thing is Returnal was actually advertised as a 4k 60fps raytracing game. It turns out it's "1080p in a 1440p buffer upscaled to 4k with checkerboarding" whatever the hell that even means.

They advertised the raytraced lighting, it turns out it just uses the RT cores to increase the framerate when rendering the lighting basically, all the rendering is the same.

Now I can already read your mind, what does that have to do with the quality or look of the game. Well 1080p is much blurrier than even 1440p and ray traced lighting is definitely going to improve the look of the game, does it affect gameplay no but I got to have my 4k raytracing.
I just don't agree with or relate to this mindset, personally, but obviously to each their own and everything. It's all so marginal and surface-level to me and that type of improvement isn't something that I place much value on.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Well that's a different conversation, is it $300 or is it $20? Regardless the listing prices arent any different on Kijiji or Facebook marketplace. I don't see any evidence that they lose value opening the box.

I think you're giving people way too much credit. They don't need, and they can't necessarily always even afford it. They just want it and don't want to wait, and if the only one they can find is opened they'll buy it.

Maybe. I'm just going off of what i saw and heard was happening on Stock X. Very well could be wrong. But in general it's safe to say that consumer items have more value if they are new/unopened than if they aren't. Like you said though, consumers are extra itchy for these next-gen consoles so maybe they don't care either way.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

Agreed. Personally have always cared more about the quality of games than the hardware specs. So to see the lack of a leap forward between these console generations makes me care about it even less. I've only seen xbox though, have you PS5 owners been blown away? I hope so!

This is understandable. False advertisement isn't a nitpick, it's a cheap way to make your product look better than it is.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I just don't agree with or relate to this mindset, personally, but obviously to each their own and everything. It's all so marginal and surface-level to me and that type of improvement isn't something that I place much value on.
I definitely think RT is significantly better in most cases especially in realistic AAA setting. Heres an example of the difference

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
From a tech side visuals are definitely hitting severe diminishing returns, but ray tracing is still pretty cool. Like, figuring out mirrors or water surfaces in video games is pretty much the final frontier for any of that to me. Need horror games that can play with light and reflections believably.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
I read rumor that PS5 will get re-design, but I didn't understand if it's going to be diffirence in hardware or not ?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I've always been of the mind that I'd rather have 1080p/60fps with RT than 4K/60fps without it, or 4k/30fps with RT.

I think the bump in image quality that HDR combined with RT provides is more impressive to me than the jump from 1080p to 4K is.

But maybe I'm just getting old.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I've always been of the mind that I'd rather have 1080p/60fps with RT than 4K/60fps without it, or 4k/30fps with RT.

I think the bump in image quality that HDR combined with RT provides is more impressive to me than the jump from 1080p to 4K is.

But maybe I'm just getting old.

596x397.3333333333333-789086803473.jpg

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I actually turn off HDR these days on my tv it darkens the image way too much and turning up the gamma washes it out, just defeats the purpose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->