Sony PS5 2

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Everybody with a PSN+ account should download VF5 Ultimate.

It's an update of VF5: Showdown, which is a god-tier fighting game, probably the best 3D fighter ever made.

This version runs on the newest Yakuza engine and looks great. I don't love all the artistic decisions they made in updating the fighters' faces (Akira isn't what I imagined he would look like, though he does look more distinctly Asian, which makes sense... always weird when Japanese characters like Akira and Ryu look like white dudes), but it's gorgeous overall.

Net code isn't great at the moment, but Sega says their working on it. Honestly, it's free, so even if you're not super into fighting games, it's great to have an elite one lying around for when friends come over.
It's also on PS Now if you have it (nobody other than me does, lol)

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Hard to justify playing a fighting game without rollback netcode in 2021, honestly. Especially with Strive out in a week.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Got a PS5 this week and I'm enjoying it. Cold War looks improved over the PS4 version and the 120hz is nice. Even WZ looks sharper and the FPS nice and evened out. It's just plain easier to see now.

Man is the thing HUGE! :laugh:

How did you get one?!! It’s been so frustrating here in Canada to get one.

Last edited:

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
How did you get one?!! It’s been so frustrating here in Canada to get one.

I honestly got lucky and it only took three days of trying.

Followed a couple Twitter pages that send out PS5 stock alerts. I could have gotten one on day one from Costco but didn't want the bundle. Struck out on Amazon day two (had in cart, couldn't check out), got one from Walmart day three.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I honestly got lucky and it only took three days of trying.

Followed a couple Twitter pages that send out PS5 stock alerts. I could have gotten one on day one from Costco but didn't want the bundle. Struck out on Amazon day two (had in cart, couldn't check out), got one from Walmart day three.

what’s the Twitter account?

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Reactions: Smelling Salt

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Hard to justify playing a fighting game without rollback netcode in 2021, honestly. Especially with Strive out in a week.

That's fair.

I'm lucky in that I not only have a group of friends who like playing games locally, but also live in Vancouver, which isn't too far from Japan in internet terms. I get online at the right time, I have great pings with ton of Virtua Fighter players.

I'm not huge into Guilty Gear. I think the last one I really dove into was XX Accent Core Plus. I think I just prefer my fighters a bit more.... restrained. The over the top craziness of say, Ultimate MVC3.... it didn't grab me. I think MVC2 was my limit as far as screen filling chaos.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
That's fair.

I'm lucky in that I not only have a group of friends who like playing games locally, but also live in Vancouver, which isn't too far from Japan in internet terms. I get online at the right time, I have great pings with ton of Virtua Fighter players.

I'm not huge into Guilty Gear. I think the last one I really dove into was XX Accent Core Plus. I think I just prefer my fighters a bit more.... restrained. The over the top craziness of say, Ultimate MVC3.... it didn't grab me. I think MVC2 was my limit as far as screen filling chaos.

Strive is basically Street Fighter with an air dash, as far as I can tell after a couple betas. Personally just want rollback in Granblue.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That's fair.

Absolutely. I hate the default of what Fighting Games have turned into. If absolutely everything turns into an extended air juggle combo, it just feels stupid. Street Fighter is one of the few franchises that still feels fairly grounded and mechanically tasteful in a way that's still satisfying to me (even though V is very compromised).

I also find the overall look of Arc System Works games to be overrated. It's impressive that they're taking steps forward with the innovative technology, but I rarely actually love the end result. It still broadly looks bad in the way that 3D in Animes tend to-- that Dragonball game in particular.

Hopefully they do eventually get there, though, because at least they're trying to get somewhere interesting.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I know it got pushed back to 2022 (early 2022??) But I hope we get to see a little more of Hogwarts Legacy at E3 next weekend. I'm pretty hyped for it currently.

Edit: shit, now that I think, Sony won't be there, and I don't remember if it was a Sony exclusive or not.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
For those with any interest in PS Now, you can get it for 1 yr $60 on the PS store or $50 on CDKeys.

I know I'll sound like a peasant but if you have a strong internet connection on your PS5 I really recommend it for the streaming, the streaming features have been a gamechanger for me to be able to play huge file size games I wouldn't normally want installed all the time or old PS3/PS2 games.

And as a bonus, the streaming save file and the local save file are cross compatible so you can stream a game while it's downloading then play the game locally once it's downloaded. It's been a gamechanger for me.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
For those with any interest in PS Now, you can get it for 1 yr $60 on the PS store or $50 on CDKeys.

I know I'll sound like a peasant but if you have a strong internet connection on your PS5 I really recommend it for the streaming, the streaming features have been a gamechanger for me to be able to play huge file size games I wouldn't normally want installed all the time or old PS3/PS2 games.

And as a bonus, the streaming save file and the local save file are cross compatible so you can stream a game while it's downloading then play the game locally once it's downloaded. It's been a gamechanger for me.

I already signed up for it, mostly for old JRPGs and fighting games that I never got around to playing.

I only playing the fighting games locally with friends, particularly the PS3 ones that can't be downloaded locally, and it works smoothly.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Can't wait. This is the 'launch window' (LOLZ) PS5 game I bought the PS5 at launch for.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Launch window is generally considered within the first calendar year right?

I mean, it's so intentionally vague as to have no meaning.

But *old-man voice* back in the day, like PSX and PS2 generations, if you heard a game was aiming for launch window, it meant within the first 3-4 months.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It's getting better. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is cross play and Destiny 2 will introduce console only cross play in a few months.

I mean to the level that they're charging devs money for crossplay and asking where's the money is it for them. Borderlands 3 does not have it for those reasons. YongYea's made a couple of videos on it:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Yongyea is terrible and stretches out like one line of information into 15 minute videos, but it is true that the Apple V Epic lawsuit revealed that Sony does charge money to devs for "lost revenue" to allow crossplay, and it is also true that that is incredibly stupid and scummy.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
EB Games finally had one for me off the wait list, so I'm officially a real boy now :laugh:

I've never played a Spratchet and Clunk game. How excited should I be for this?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
https://twitter.com/Lbabinz

I turned on alerts. Keep in mind he tweets about alot of video game stuff so you'll get a bunch of alerts but it's worth it if you want a PS5 (or Xbox). You'll see a few different PS5-specific stock alert twitter accounts you can follow too but I think they just piggyback off that account.

He also has a https://www.reddit.com/r/VideoGameDealsCanada/hot where the stock alerts get posted.
Yeah, this worked for me. Lucked out on a midnight Wal-mart drop in late January.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad