Sony PS5 2

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
To continue what everyone was talking about with Bethesda, I think its still quite doable with PS5 and then using a PC for Elder Scrolls etc. Now if you have a crappy PC, can always use something like Geforce Now, Amazon Luna, or XCloud .

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
To continue what everyone was talking about with Bethesda, I think its still quite doable with PS5 and then using a PC for Elder Scrolls etc. Now if you have a crappy PC, can always use something like Geforce Now, Amazon Luna, or XCloud .

Speaking in mostly ignorance of the cloud streaming services, how would modding work with them?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Speaking in mostly ignorance of the cloud streaming services, how would modding work with them?
For streaming? Probably no mods unless it's built into the game like minecraft, bethesda did have it for a bit, some user created mod library, but there was some controversy and they discontinued it.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
For streaming? Probably no mods unless it's built into the game like minecraft, bethesda did have it for a bit, some user created mod library, but there was some controversy and they discontinued it.

Ah yes, the infamous paid mods scandal.

If true, I would think the lack of mods invalidates most of the PC version advantage for Bethesda games from the cloud services.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I would expect other games to follow suit when it comes to resolution and frame rate options. Making me reconsider on just keeping my 1080p monitor.
qmx33zcx7hu51.jpg

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I expect more options with RT on/off, as it can be quite the resource hog.

I'm happy if they give people the option. Some people might prefer RT even with 4K/30, although I'm not one of them.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Ah yes, the infamous paid mods scandal.

If true, I would think the lack of mods invalidates most of the PC version advantage for Bethesda games from the cloud services.
You know, I've seen a lot of talk that stadia, amazon, Microsoft, etc don't actually care about cloud gaming or making cloud gaming a thing. It's just that they're spending billions and billions building Cloud servers all over the world that aren't going to be used anytime soon, and basically look t cloud streaming as a way to subsidize that in some ways, and hey gamers are known for blowing tons of money on online services so why not.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I would expect other games to follow suit when it comes to resolution and frame rate options. Making me reconsider on just keeping my 1080p monitor.
qmx33zcx7hu51.jpg
Having this many different graphics options is a great step forward for console gaming. I don't understand why Ubisoft is forcing 4k/30/RT for Watch Dogs Legion.

Reactions: Beau Knows

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Having this many different graphics options is a great step forward for console gaming. I don't understand why Ubisoft is forcing 4k/30/RT for Watch Dogs Legion.

While I'm somebody that loves as many options as possible in my games (not just graphics either, I loved all the sliders you could adjust in Last of Us 2 to make the game play differently to your taste), I know A LOT of people that just prefer to turn on the game and go. They don't want the responsibility of tuning the game properly, they don't want the FOMO of maybe not having it tuned ideally, they don't want tons of options, they want to know they're getting the exact experience the developer intended, and the exact same experience as everybody else.

Reactions: aleshemsky83

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
While I'm somebody that loves as many options as possible in my games (not just graphics either, I loved all the sliders you could adjust in Last of Us 2 to make the game play differently to your taste), I know A LOT of people that just prefer to turn on the game and go. They don't want the responsibility of tuning the game properly, they don't want the FOMO of maybe not having it tuned ideally, they don't want tons of options, they want to know they're getting the exact experience the developer intended, and the exact same experience as everybody else.
That just seems kind of silly to me tbh. We are talking about one choice they make when booting the game for the first time. Do these people also hate difficulty settings or when the game asks them to set the brightness or contrast? They should be less worried about having the exact same experience as everyone else and more focused on having the best possible experience for themselves.

These sound like the same people who say PC gaming is too complicated when literally 99% of the time you just install the game and click play.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That just seems kind of silly to me tbh. We are talking about one choice they make when booting the game for the first time. Do these people also hate difficulty settings or when the game asks them to set the brightness or contrast? They should be less worried about having the exact same experience as everyone else and more focused on having the best possible experience for themselves.

These sound like the same people who say PC gaming is too complicated when literally 99% of the time you just install the game and click play.

Doesn’t even have to be that. Just have a default then have options in the settings. I think last of us did it this way. Best of both.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
For some reason I cant find the actual original gameplay trailer but this looks pretty good ,though this franchise is getting formulaic with those quicktime cutscenes, can't give it too much crap since this is essentially a standalone expansion. Still looks outstanding.

Reactions: Bijelo

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

I have no opinion or interest in the Watch Dogs Legion thing, nor is it a hill that I would die on, but I personally am one of those people who would prefer that the creator have an uncompromising creative vision of how they want the game to be ideally played, and not give players the option to fine-tune their experience to whatever they want. If it were possible for the game to auto-adjust to a designed brightness based on your device and force you to play it on the difficulty that it was designed for (the way From Software does it), I would absolutely prefer that. Although it's obviously impractical and would never happen, because games want to make money and reach a large audience.

I don't have a huge problem when options are given, but I do appreciate games more when each configuration is a deliberate creative decision to be appreciated rather than this "cater to the viewer" thing, and that does play into how pure and perfect an experience can be for me, at least marginally. It has nothing to do with wanting the same experience as everyone else. That same mentality is why I prefer focused and meticulously directed somewhat-linear games over do-whatever-you-want, sand-box-y open-world games, which I usually despise.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather they provide those options than get it wrong or make bad decisions with those choices, in my eyes, but if they completely nail it and don't give you those options, my appreciation for it is at its highest. I feel the same way about the idea of modding. If you can fix a bad game with modding, great. If a game is already a masterpiece out of the box, the ability to mod it cheapens it, IMO.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I have a whole bunch of questions regarding a PS5 vs PS4 compatibility. I don't know if people here will be able to answer, but would love any feedback.

I currently have a PS4. As you can imagine - I have bought a ton of games off PSStore digitally that are therefore loaded on my profile. If I buy a PS5:

1. Do I keep all those PS4 games I bought on my profile on the PS Store, straight onto PS5? Or do I have to somehow "rebuy" them, or pay some transfer fee to go to PS5? (I know there might be a few exceptions on some PS4 games being compatible with PS5 - but I think most will be, so looking more for a "most" answer)

2. Assuming I keep the games - do we know if saved games will transfer over too, or do I start the games from scratch?

3. Assuming yes to the above - can I give my PS4 away to a friend, and if so, could he keep my profile too stored with all the games I bough on PS Store? ie - I'd have a PS5 with my profile loaded with ps4 games i own digitally, and he'd have a PS4 with same profile/games owned digitally - would that work, or can only 1 be logged on at same time? Can two people be logged in to same profile at same time (a bit like Netflix)?

4. Can games be played at the same time if answer to the above is yes? ex: I have a car racing game on PS4 - I play it on my ps5 profile, and my friend plays it on his ps4 on the same profile - and we possibly play co-op mode online together. Possible?

I've never bought a new console at launch before - but very seriously considering doing it for the first time ever. Would like to understand some of the above a bit better though, since I own a lot of games on PS4 already, many of which I enjoy re-playing.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
1. Yes, all your PS4 games will be available to redownload on PS5. With only a few exceptions of games not available to download any longer (like the PT demo). There are also a few PS4 games that arent backwards combability (Sony finally details PS5 backward compatibility). Note: if you dont want to redownload you can also backup your PS4 games to an external hard drive and then restore the games on the PS5.

2. If you are playing the PS4 version of the game on PS5 then save data will transfer (not sure the process: if its auto or you need to download the cloud save). The save transfer that may not work is if you own a PS4 version of the game that is upgraded to PS5 (which a lot are doing for free), save compatibility is up to the manufacturer. For example if you have FIFA 21, some of the saves wont transfer. I think FUT does but offline mode stuff doesnt.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Destruction all stars is delayed to February, and will be free for ps plus users for the first two months. Weird announcement, essentially going f2p without saying it outright

It kind of surprising because the other exclusive, Demons Souls has had the discs printed since early September according to Lance MacDonald, and Miles Morales looked all but finished as well for some time.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Well I just got an email from GameStop regarding my 'Advanced Bundle' pre-order saying that the release date has been delayed by the manufacturer. This bundle included Destruction All Stars so it will be interesting to see how this is handled, I assume that's what the email is referencing and not the system itself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad