Sony PS5 2

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Finally got it, after queueing for 9 months :D It is huge, but not as huge as I envisioned it. But FAAAR uglier than i was anticipating from the photos. Hopefully I will get a bigger tv bench so I can hide this monster child of mine!

Got no games yet and my bff cancelled his pre-order. So I am not even sure why I need it.

It is very silent though. Until you play a game off a disc, then it almost sounds like the PS4.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
For those interested, if you dont have a PS5, you can claim the free PS5 PS+ game through the browser or app. Oddworld is a brand new game thats gonna be on PS+ at release.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Another day, another issue with the PS5. This shit is getting ridiculous. I know the hardware (and thus, software) came in hot to meet the holiday launch window, but this is feeling more and more like a beta test than a console launch.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Another day, another issue with the PS5. This shit is getting ridiculous. I know the hardware (and thus, software) came in hot to meet the holiday launch window, but this is feeling more and more like a beta test than a console launch.

I'm pretty sure this is only an issue if you turn off HDR on an HDR tv. So it shouldn't be a problem if you're using HDR on an HDR tv or SDR on an SDR tv.

These guys in the tweets (Tim Rogers, Alex Battaglia, and Jon Linneman) are YouTubers who need to switch HDR off at times for it to work with their capture equipment. It's most likely a fluke problem very few people will see.

I played Demon's Souls on both an HDR tv and a SDR tv and never saw this (though I could just be blind and didn't notice it)

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I'm pretty sure this is only an issue if you turn off HDR on an HDR tv. So it shouldn't be a problem if you're using HDR on an HDR tv or SDR on an SDR tv.

These guys in the tweets (Tim Rogers, Alex Battaglia, and Jon Linneman) are YouTubers who need to switch HDR off at times for it to work with their capture equipment. It's most likely a fluke problem very few people will see.

I played Demon's Souls on both an HDR tv and a SDR tv and never saw this (though I could just be blind and didn't notice it)

No it effects anybody using an SDR TV. Its baked into how the PS5 handles HDR. The console basically defaults to HDR, and if the TV in question doesn't have HDR, it uses a lossy conversion method to output SDR.

Im still playing on a non-hdr plasma (VT50). I played Destiny 2 on both platforms and Control UE on both platforms and the difference in dark areas is pronounced.

Im updating to an OLED soon enough, so it wont affect me forever. My biggest peeve is that games that looked fine on my TV on PS4, like Ghost of Tsushima, have noticeably crushed blacks on PS5. So they literally took a step back kn this regard from one generation to the next.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
So basically Sony took a look at how Microsoft is handling their back catalogue of games and decided 'what if we did, like, the complete opposite of that?'

unknown.png

Time to start downloading some classics.

*cracks knuckles*

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Yeah weirdly Sony up until now was insanely progressive with this. You could still buy and download your PSP games through a browser. They literally killed all their online services pre-PS4.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Yeah weirdly Sony up until now was insanely progressive with this. You could still buy and download your PSP games through a browser. They literally killed all their online services pre-PS4.

Except their streaming service or games they remastered for PS4 (which is a lot of them).

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I got my PS5 a few weeks back and am running into a storage issue already. I am hoping to get an external drive, till the firmware starts supporting the internal NVME expansion, so that I can move the PS4 games on it. For now though, I was potentially looking at the P50 2 TB as an option (or similar drive). The main thing keeping me from getting it is that it only works from the front USB-C and not the back USB-A (based on my readings). Is the lack of storage expansion using the USB-A ports something by design? Another firmware fix?

How have you folks deal with that?

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
I don't understand storage issues. I have a 1TB drive in my PS4 and it has rarely, if ever, been more than half used up. Do people just not delete games they are done with?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don't understand storage issues. I have a 1TB drive in my PS4 and it has rarely, if ever, been more than half used up. Do people just not delete games they are done with?
Its more than that.

- Some people have slower internet speeds and prefer to not download games again.
- If families (or multiple members in household) play on the same system, there is a good chance that there are more than just a couple of games.

I only have about 5-6 games on my PS5 and its already running low on space. I would rather not just start deleting games.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Well there's your answer. You have a 1 TB hard drive. The PS5 is a 825 GB drive with only about 600 GB available for use because of overprovisioning+OS. SSDs need about 10% of their capacity empty to preserve their lifespan.

When you account for the space you need for updates, there's only enough room for about 3 Warzones.

Last edited:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I got my PS5 a few weeks back and am running into a storage issue already. I am hoping to get an external drive, till the firmware starts supporting the internal NVME expansion, so that I can move the PS4 games on it. For now though, I was potentially looking at the P50 2 TB as an option (or similar drive). The main thing keeping me from getting it is that it only works from the front USB-C and not the back USB-A (based on my readings). Is the lack of storage expansion using the USB-A ports something by design? Another firmware fix?

How have you folks deal with that?

I think that's what I have (well, the 1TB version) and I also think I've got it plugged in the back. You sure it's USB-C only?

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think that's what I have (well, the 1TB version) and I also think I've got it plugged in the back. You sure it's USB-C only?
Well .. I read multiple reviews talking about issues with using the back USB-A port for storage. I went ahead and ordered the 2 TB version so when I receive it I will confirm here how it works.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Really enjoying TemTem. I like being able to play it on the big screen or switching to my ipad and using a controller. I find the side quests, and the overall difficulty being higher as a nice change of pace.

I do find that the connection is quicker to my ipad with my ps5 compared to ps4. I know it's mostly network speed but I can easily tell the difference as someone who remote played alot.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
No it effects anybody using an SDR TV. Its baked into how the PS5 handles HDR. The console basically defaults to HDR, and if the TV in question doesn't have HDR, it uses a lossy conversion method to output SDR.

Im still playing on a non-hdr plasma (VT50). I played Destiny 2 on both platforms and Control UE on both platforms and the difference in dark areas is pronounced.

Im updating to an OLED soon enough, so it wont affect me forever. My biggest peeve is that games that looked fine on my TV on PS4, like Ghost of Tsushima, have noticeably crushed blacks on PS5. So they literally took a step back kn this regard from one generation to the next.

That's a fairly old display for Sony to account for with this console. I'm curious if it's bad on any non-HDR display, that could be more of an issue as many 4k displays did not have HDR a few years ago.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
That's a fairly old display for Sony to account for with this console. I'm curious if it's bad on any non-HDR display, that could be more of an issue as many 4k displays did not have HDR a few years ago.
It should really work with all tvs whether they account for it or not.

With that said I have a 1080p non-HDR Samsung and it doesn't have this issue. At least not that I notice. If it does adjusting the brightness/black level should fix it.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Days Gone on PS+ this month.

I know it reviewed "average", any updates as to how it plays in 2021? Im looking for a new open world game to play

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Days Gone on PS+ this month.

I know it reviewed "average", any updates as to how it plays in 2021? Im looking for a new open world game to play

It plays and looks fine. It always has. The issue is that the game just isn't that interesting. The most enjoyment I got out of it was just riding the motorcycle through the country-side. Then zombie shit would happen and I'd be like 'ugh...fine, let's get through this so I can get back to riding'. Technically it's always been competent.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

The age of the display shouldn't matter. It's purely a matter of 'does this display have HDR or not?'. A TV without HDR made last week and a TV made without HDR 10 years ago should register the same. If it has HDR, use it, if not, use SDR. But the PS5 method is inaccurate.

How bad it looks may depend on your display. The better/more accurate your black levels, the more obvious the problem will be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad