Sony PS5 2

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I mostly still do physical unless it's a f2p, ps plus game, or if the discount is just so ridiculous I may as well buy digital. Though generally physical is cheaper.

Also the library in my city loans games with a really good selection, so I still need physical.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Jfc, I just now discovered ps5 doesnt support dlna (yet...hopefully).

wtf Sony?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The state of play was pretty decent.

Crash Bandicoot 4: I have to be honest I hated the original trilogy remaster (never played the originals) so I really am not interested in this one

Returnal: looks really good. I thought it would be like the medium but it's more like Risk of Rain. Love super stardust.

Knockout City: looks decent.

Sifu: Lol, I was just listening to the Tim Rogers Insert Credit podcast recently and he predicted somebody would eventually make "The Oldboy hallway scene videogame", I doubt he could have guessed it was already being made.

Solar Ash: This is basically 3D hyper light drifter. It looks really good. Love the artstyle and the gameplay looks solid.

A big budget Five nights at freddy: didn't expect that one.

Oddworld Soulstorm: wow, It's free if you have ps plus at launch. I've never played oddworld but it looked good.

Leena bridge of spirits: this looks really good but it was just a short teaser

Deathloop: looks alright

FF7 Remake Part 2 at 60 fps: coming in October. Damn did not expect this one. It really does confirm the end of the first game. Spoilers, this series is not a remake. It's a sequel. Apparently they also fixed the textures and pre-rendered backgrounds in the original game. Hopefully they fixed that door.

I really liked it. Some people were expecting Elden Ring, which really set themselves up for disappointment considering I'm pretty sure Fromsoft has an exclusive marketing deal with Microsoft for the game.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
FF7 Remake Part 2 at 60 fps: coming in October. Damn did not expect this one. It really does confirm the end of the first game. Spoilers, this series is not a remake. It's a sequel. Apparently they also fixed the textures and pre-rendered backgrounds in the original game. Hopefully they fixed that door.

Huh? Nowhere did they say Part 2 was coming in October or that they are making it a sequel, not sure where you heard that.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Still waiting on my console. Ordered on 2020-06-12. I might get it before the summer... Should have countered and pre-ordered from several sources...

Webhallen seems to have been the worst in sweden and their customer service is almost purposely confusing us customers with weird messages or just leaving us out in the cold. Last time I use them for pre-ordering.

Is the console really, really big and ugly? I love the specs but the look.... Well isn't all that sharp. Weird that it ships which such a small HDD too.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
If you get FF7 Remake from PS Plus next month, you can't use that copy to upgrade to the PS5 version.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Well it makes no difference to me since I own the physical version, and own Remnant from the ashes, and am not interested in PSVR. Maquette looks alright though. Always wanted to play superluminal this looks similar.

Huh? Nowhere did they say Part 2 was coming in October or that they are making it a sequel, not sure where you heard that.
So the ending of part 1 if you recall is completely different from the original. It's essentially a fourth wall break letting the player know that the events of the original game aren't set in stone and that this world is different from the original.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Well it makes no difference to me since I own the physical version, and own Remnant from the ashes, and am not interested in PSVR. Maquette looks alright though. Always wanted to play superluminal this looks similar.

So the ending of part 1 if you recall is completely different from the original. It's essentially a fourth wall break letting the player know that the events of the original game aren't set in stone and that this world is different from the original.
It's definitely a bit different as they are making some changes, but it's still not a sequel. There is so much more of the original story left.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
It's definitely a bit different as they are making some changes, but it's still not a sequel. There is so much more of the original story left.
I mean, you literally fight the physical manifestation of your destiny at the end, I don't know how much more blatant it can get. Several characters who are dead in the original aren't in this one. I think probably well see all the same areas in this series but the story will be remixed liberally.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Man it's been like 5 months and it's still not possible to sort actual games from virtual currency on the PS5 store.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Interesting to see the hard shift Sony has taken away from Japan and towards the West recently.

I guess they figure since console sales have been steadily falling in Japan since the PS2, they figure that market isn't worth the investment beyond making deals with Japan-based devs to get content that Westerners like.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Interesting to see the hard shift Sony has taken away from Japan and towards the West recently.

I guess they figure since console sales have been steadily falling in Japan since the PS2, they figure that market isn't worth the investment beyond making deals with Japan-based devs to get content that Westerners like.

They lost that market once Andrew House left. His successors have been focused on turning the PlayStation into an Xbox. It's boring, but generic AAA Dad Games for the lowest common denominator are where the money is so that's what they're going to focus on, it looks like.

I've heard Japanese devs complaining that they have to submit things to Sony in English for approval even if their game is only coming out in Japan these days.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
A friend who bought the PS5 at launch with me is experiencing joystick drift on his controller.

Mine hasn't been hit yet, but IMO this is pretty much inexcusable. The controller is barely 5 months old and it's not like he's a professional streamer. He plays a few hours of NHL a week and Astrobot with his kid.

I checked it out and it seems Sony is pretty helpful as far as replacing bad controllers, but he's still out a controller when he mails the thing in. I asked if he got warranty/protection when he bought the console, but no such luck. He didn't think he'd need it (womp womp).

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Extended warrantys are usually a scam. The manufacturer warranty would cover it if corporations weren't crooks (in fact I'm pretty sure Sony will warranty stick drift, though don't quote me)

With that said, if you're in dire need of a cheap controller amazon is selling refurbished Dualsense controllers in their warehouse deals section for $40 or so

Reactions: mattihp and 93LEAFS

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
A friend who bought the PS5 at launch with me is experiencing joystick drift on his controller.

Mine hasn't been hit yet, but IMO this is pretty much inexcusable. The controller is barely 5 months old and it's not like he's a professional streamer. He plays a few hours of NHL a week and Astrobot with his kid.

I checked it out and it seems Sony is pretty helpful as far as replacing bad controllers, but he's still out a controller when he mails the thing in. I asked if he got warranty/protection when he bought the console, but no such luck. He didn't think he'd need it (womp womp).
That's quick. I've heard that the piece of technology that responds to the joystick command is supposed to last 400 hours of usage. Obviously, some will dramatically underperform that number and others will overperform that. Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo all use the same manufacture for it.

As annoying as buying a 2nd controller while waiting for the first one to be returned/replace is, at least that is one piece of PS5 hardware that is incredibly easy to replace. Secondly, considering how few PS5 titles there are out right now, if he's using the DuelSense to play PS4 games upscaled (I'm currently doing that with Ghost of Tsushima), you can use a DualShock 4 (if he played PS4/kept his controller) on PS4 titles. Since you specifically mentioned NHL which isn't a PS5 title, I hope he knew of that tempory fix before he bought a 2nd controller.

Extended warrantys are usually a scam. The manufacturer warranty would cover it if corporations weren't crooks (in fact I'm pretty sure Sony will warranty stick drift, though don't quote me)

With that said, if you're in dire need of a cheap controller amazon is selling refurbished Dualsense controllers in their warehouse deals section for $40 or so
Agreed. If higher-end electronics fail, it will usually happen within the first year. There is a reason companies selling hardware aggressively sell these insurance plans because they are highly profitable. For some, I guess the piece of mind is worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->