Sony PS5 2

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
My PS5 completely shut off three times yesterday, all during Zombies matches. Hopefully that’s a problem with Cold War and not the PS5, but the entire system shut off, not just the game. It’s really annoying.

Yup. It's Cold War. Avoid that game like the plague if you can. It's not your PS5 but I have read of people who's console's bricked because of it. So yeah, avoid.

It's very possible the coil while a lot of people may be hearing is a loose sticker.

I don't recommend doing this repair though, just horrible qc by Sony. I may actually have this problem too. It makes the noise on startup when the fans spin.

That could be one reason but the other is that Sony has 3 different type of fans being used in the PS5's. Now this isn't uncommon especially with them having to push out so many consoles at a time. Companies use different manufacturers. My point is each fan is slightly different and some are louder than others. It's basically a lottery so you have to cross your fingers you get one of the quiet fans. Of course if it's stupidly loud then it could be something like a sticker causing it.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Yup. It's Cold War. Avoid that game like the plague if you can. It's not your PS5 but I have read of people who's console's bricked because of it. So yeah, avoid.
It actually may be the PS5. A sudden shutdown with no error warning may indicate an overheat caused shutdown. My advice is to not put it in an enclosed space, or if you are open the cupboard door when using the console.
That could be one reason but the other is that Sony has 3 different type of fans being used in the PS5's. Now this isn't uncommon especially with them having to push out so many consoles at a time. Companies use different manufacturers. My point is each fan is slightly different and some are louder than others. It's basically a lottery so you have to cross your fingers you get one of the quiet fans. Of course if it's stupidly loud then it could be something like a sticker causing it.
The thing is its not just regular fan noise for a lot of people its a whine or rattle.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
It actually may be the PS5. A sudden shutdown with no error warning may indicate an overheat caused shutdown. My advice is to not put it in an enclosed space, or if you are open the cupboard door when using the console.

The thing is its not just regular fan noise for a lot of people its a whine or rattle.

Negative. There is an error message in place when it overheats but you are correct in that putting it in an enclosed space is not a good idea. But it overheating without an error can happen. Nothing is perfect. Cold war is indeed causing crashing and console shut downs for many on both sides (PS5 and Xbox). It is recommended not to play it right now until it's patched. Both sides have been really good about replacements so far from what I'm reading.

Yes. What you are referring to is called coil whine. It is harmless and your console is fine. But it can be annoying especially if it's loud. That's why I brought up the 3 different manufactured fans. It has been tested with all 3 and all 3 were different levels of noise. So right now you have to hope you get one with the best type of fan in it. lol

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Negative. There is an error message in place when it overheats but you are correct in that putting it in an enclosed space is not a good idea. But it overheating without an error can happen. Nothing is perfect. Cold war is indeed causing crashing and console shut downs for many on both sides (PS5 and Xbox). It is recommended not to play it right now until it's patched. Both sides have been really good about replacements so far from what I'm reading.

Yes. What you are referring to is called coil whine. It is harmless and your console is fine. But it can be annoying especially if it's loud. That's why I brought up the 3 different manufactured fans. It has been tested with all 3 and all 3 were different levels of noise. So right now you have to hope you get one with the best type of fan in it. lol
Yeah thats why I suspect a lot of peoples crashes could be overheating, a lot of people storing their consoles in enclosed spaces. But looking it up maybe thats not the case.

Lol, and yes the "coil while" in my previous comment was intended to say "coil whine"

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Only noise I've heard mine make is when my disc drive periodically spins up for no apparent reason. I mean, I have a disc in it I guess, but it'll spin up like once an hour even if I'm not playing that game.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Only noise I've heard mine make is when my disc drive periodically spins up for no apparent reason. I mean, I have a disc in it I guess, but it'll spin up like once an hour even if I'm not playing that game.
Yeah this happens to me too, pretty annoying.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016

Cold War was causing problems with consoles at launch..not so sure it still is. My roommate’s Series X was shutting down a lot during it and it’s stopped.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
These issues really indicate to me that the hardware hasn't yet caught up in terms of cooling for consoles on newer graphics.

I don't plan to buy one this year and hope they work out the kinks in future models but still scares me.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
These issues really indicate to me that the hardware hasn't yet caught up in terms of cooling for consoles on newer graphics.

I don't plan to buy one this year and hope they work out the kinks in future models but still scares me.
I always wait 6 months to a year before upgrading consoles. Let's them fix the kinks in the hardware, sometimes they even improve the hardware significantly (see PS4 vs PS4 Pro).

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I always wait 6 months to a year before upgrading consoles. Let's them fix the kinks in the hardware, sometimes they even improve the hardware significantly (see PS4 vs PS4 Pro).

I don't see a pro edition or even a slim coming out within 6ish months.

But I do hope we get at least a slim in 2022. I really don't wanna buy the massive version, it'd hard to fit on the desk and I'd probably have to take off my existing console to fit it in on a shelf which I don't want to do.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
There was 3 years, almost to the day, between the PS4 release and the PS4 Pro. You think they will have some magically upgraded version of the PS5 in 6 months?

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
I have a base ps4....never had any issues with it. It doesnt even make any noise. Beauty of a console.

Reactions: robertmac43

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I have a base ps4....never had any issues with it. It doesnt even make any noise. Beauty of a console.
Yeah I feel like a dick anytime I say my PS4 doesn't make any noise but it's true. It makes the infamous "jet engine noise" if I shove it in the cupboard but just leaving it on the tv stand it's silent.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Ive been insanely lucky with launch consoles. Ive bought a Playstation, N64, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PS4, XBONE, Switch at launch. Every single one has lasted the entire generation without issue.

No wonky disk drives, no RRODs, no analog drift, bad HDMI ports, nada.

My PS5 and Series X are both working great. Hopefully my luck continues.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I said this in the other thread but man I can't believe how playable streaming is now. I'm playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 over streaming (wired connection) and the input lag is completely playable.

There's a slight low bitrate blur and blockiness to it but the connection is hickup free. I'd never play a modern game over streaming but for 720p and below games why not?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Ive been insanely lucky with launch consoles. Ive bought a Playstation, N64, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PS4, XBONE, Switch at launch. Every single one has lasted the entire generation without issue.

An Xbox 360 that stood the test of time is truly impressive.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

The 360 not having any issues is definitely the big surprise in your list. I’m not far off. My only failure was my 360 had the “no disk” error after about 18 months, but Microsoft refused to fix those, despite being fairly common. You could take it apart and clean up the disc drive motor to fix it, but it was so cheap to buy the base 360 at the time, and then swap the hard drive over, so I ended up just selling it for $50 to a friend. And that next 360 is still working 12 years later. Otherwise, I’ve had no issues whatsoever with my NES, N64, PS2 (fat and slim), PS3 (60gb and slim), PS4, XBOne, and now PS5. I’d include my Wii U and Switch in that list, but they’ve probably got less than 10 hours on them combined (I really need to stop buying Nintendo consoles).

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
My second fat PS3 died after about two and a half years. The slim one I got in 2011 still works now, but sometimes you need to press the power button quite hard to turn it on. The PS4 Pro I got three years ago still works fine.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I sold my 360 to a cousin a few years ago and afaik it still works. That said I barely ever used the thing while I had it, but it was still an early model.

Only issue I've had was the laser on my fat PS2 went and did the whole DRE thing, but by that point slims were like $100. Also I probably have an Xbox that's leaking in a basement somewhere, now that I think about it.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
My launch PS4 bricked maybe three years in. My new slim PS4 has been great other than an issue with the CD drive which I was able to partially solve (I still have to use the controller to eject discs).

Reactions: tacogeoff

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The amount of PS5 reaction videos (both receiving them for Xmas, or being pranked into thinking they got one for Xmas) are crazy. Everybody from kids to grown men and women flipping their lids.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The amount of PS5 reaction videos (both receiving them for Xmas, or being pranked into thinking they got one for Xmas) are crazy. Everybody from kids to grown men and women flipping their lids.
And here I am using my PS5 to stream Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2.

I have to say I'm kind of borderline ashamed of how sold I am on streaming now. Its really good for playing older PS3 games, so long as youre plugged into the router, the input lag is completely bareable.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Anyone know when there may be a PS5 restock?!? Been searching around for leads but have not found anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad