Sony PS5 2

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
If you’re in Canada trying to get a console, phone your local EB Games. They’re doing a wait list system. My friend called the day before the PS5 launch and picked one up last Saturday.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Oh man the remote play app is so, so good. Got the PS4 and PS5 on opposite complete opposite ends of the house as far apart as they can be and theres still almost no latency even with the PS4s crappy wifi card (though the PS5 is plugged in). At 1080p its nearly perfect except for an occasional stutter every few minutes, but at 720p its completely hiccup free. This is using the Ps4s DS4 controller playing games like Furi, Ratchet and Clank, and Sekiro, pretty decent paced action games and completely playable.

Now theres obviously gonna be limited uses, since I'm playing ps4 games over streaming which makes them look softer than just playing it on PS4, and playing PS5 games with the DS5 controller might add latency being far away from the console, I'd have to do more testing. But from what I've seen Im super impressed with the latency.

For those interested in trying this with slow internet, keep in mind your ISP speeds dont matter when both devices are on the same network, so your eperience should be fine as long as the signal is strong.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I can't figure out why I can't get 4k. My setup is as follows...

I have my PS5 (with provided hdmi 2.1 cable) plugged into a 4k hdmi switch. I then have a hdmi 2.1 cable from the switch to my monitor. ( my monitor is 1080p 144hz). That's fine and works great. I then have another hdmi 2.1 cable going from the switch to my tv (4k). I've tried using different hdmi cables and different hdmi slots to no avail. I also tried turning off hdcp. I haven't tried plugging my Ps5 directly into my tv though as I'm not interested in that. I should try that next. That will tell me if its my switch or not. Anyone else a similar problem?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

I have my PS5 (with provided hdmi 2.1 cable) plugged into a 4k hdmi switch. I then have a hdmi 2.1 cable from the switch to my monitor. ( my monitor is 1080p 144hz). That's fine and works great. I then have another hdmi 2.1 cable going from the switch to my tv (4k). I've tried using different hdmi cables and different hdmi slots to no avail. I also tried turning off hdcp. I haven't tried plugging my Ps5 directly into my tv though as I'm not interested in that. I should try that next. That will tell me if its my switch or not. Anyone else a similar problem?

Try unplugging the HDMI cable from the monitor and just using the TV-->HDMI switch-->PS5.

HDMI cables take information from the TV back to the device (receiver, console, etc). It could be that the monitor is telling the PS5 that it's a 1080p device (I know it's 1440, but PS5 doesn't support that) and it's defaulting to that.

The other option is to go into your PS5 settings, and manually set your display settings instead of letting the PS5 do it. Force 4k and see what happens. It may start working on the TV, but potentially cause problems on the monitor.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Try unplugging the HDMI cable from the monitor and just using the TV-->HDMI switch-->PS5.

HDMI cables take information from the TV back to the device (receiver, console, etc). It could be that the monitor is telling the PS5 that it's a 1080p device (I know it's 1440, but PS5 doesn't support that) and it's defaulting to that.

The other option is to go into your PS5 settings, and manually set your display settings instead of letting the PS5 do it. Force 4k and see what happens. It may start working on the TV, but potentially cause problems on the monitor.
Its only a 1080p monitor but I will definitely give that a try. As far as manually setting it to 4k, the PS5 says its not supported. It's blacked out.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
PS5 stock shortages in the UK continue as scalpers grab thousands of consoles - VG247

notsurprisedkirk.jpg

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Btw, for those playing demons souls. Always put down a summon sign in tower of latria. I don't want to spoil it but it's an important part of the stage mechanics.

I kind of wish this game was on PS4 tbh, there can't be more than a 100k player base yet there's like 15 different servers for the game.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Demon Souls remake is fantastic. Really enjoying the playthrough. That being said, you can see the ways in which the formula was improved for the later Souls games. This one is a lot more linear and narrow. One of the things that was so magical about Dark Souls 1 was how the game opened up and then would circle back to places you had been. Yes you can tackle the worlds in whichever order you'd like in Demon Souls. But there is nothing connecting any of them.

But yah... it is fantastic. And it controls great and looks great.

Reactions: HaNotsri

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Demon Souls remake is fantastic. Really enjoying the playthrough. That being said, you can see the ways in which the formula was improved for the later Souls games. This one is a lot more linear and narrow. One of the things that was so magical about Dark Souls 1 was how the game opened up and then would circle back to places you had been. Yes you can tackle the worlds in whichever order you'd like in Demon Souls. But there is nothing connecting any of them.

But yah... it is fantastic. And it controls great and looks great.
Yeah its almost a completely different style of game. It feels more like a megaman formula then dark souls. One level has healing items, one level has magic items, one level has upgrade materials, etc etc.

I tend to like it because magic and miracles are actual useful in this game, whereas in dark souls they hit like wet paper or are just so costly to make useful unless you sequence break for endgame stuff.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah its almost a completely different style of game. It feels more like a megaman formula then dark souls. One level has healing items, one level has magic items, one level has upgrade materials, etc etc.

I tend to like it because magic and miracles are actual useful in this game, whereas in dark souls they hit like wet paper or are just so costly to make useful unless you sequence break for endgame stuff.

It also feels like the easiest of them all. But that could just be after hundreds of hours of Dark Souls 1+2+3 and Bloodborne any new Souls game I play will feel like the easiest. Although I've heard that NG+ in Demon's Souls is a much bigger difficulty leap than in the other ones. Looking forward to it once I get through the last part of my first playthrough.

I haven't touched magic or miracles though. I almost always do a pure melee playthrough first in any of these games.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
It also feels like the easiest of them all. But that could just be after hundreds of hours of Dark Souls 1+2+3 and Bloodborne any new Souls game I play will feel like the easiest. Although I've heard that NG+ in Demon's Souls is a much bigger difficulty leap than in the other ones. Looking forward to it once I get through the last part of my first playthrough.

I haven't touched magic or miracles though. I almost always do a pure melee playthrough first in any of these games.
It's definitely the easiest if you have alot of grass, but yeah miracles and magic are extremely powerful. In other souls games, there really is no point because a pure melee build is best, Demon Souls actually makes use of them though. For example I started out as a Temple Knight, which gives nearly the best armor in the game as a start along with some miracles. Combined with the regeneration miracle and healing items, I have so much HP regeneration that I still gain health even in the poison swamp.

And magic is even more powerful.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Man the ps5 store is terrible right now, theres no way to sort out Microtransactions and premium currency from actual games

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Man the ps5 store is terrible right now, theres no way to sort out Microtransactions and premium currency from actual games

The lack of a smart delivery equivalent is perplexing. Just trying to download the right version of a cross-gen game is annoying.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

If your cables are of decent quality, they should be fine regardless. It's most likely the switch.

It's probably the splitter, plug it into the tv. Even HDMI 1.4 supports 4k60.

I believe that is incorrect. I think HDMI 1.4 tops out at 4K30.

HDMI 2.0 should be able to hit 4K60 though.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

This was a criticism I had of the PS4 store interface, mixing in currency and the like while searching for games by default. It got worse? :(

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Suspending games is worse than PS4. I don’t know if it’s the games that require it or what. But with ps4, entering rest mode was pretty much like hitting pause. Now it seems like every time I do that, I end up back at the main menu when I restart, occasionally losing progress. Part of that probably has to do with games wanting to be connected to the Internet at all times, even when playing locally which is so stupid.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Suspending games is worse than PS4. I don’t know if it’s the games that require it or what. But with ps4, entering rest mode was pretty much like hitting pause. Now it seems like every time I do that, I end up back at the main menu when I restart, occasionally losing progress. Part of that probably has to do with games wanting to be connected to the Internet at all times, even when playing locally which is so stupid.
Honestly I'm so paranoid about bricking the console that I close every game and do a hard shutdown everytime Im done with the console or switch to a steaming app (just closing the game in that case).

I haven't run into any issues but by all accounts this is the most buggy console OS ever.
This was a criticism I had of the PS4 store interface, mixing in currency and the like while searching for games by default. It got worse?
Way worse. You literally can't filter out microtransactions and DLC at the moment. I'm sure they'll let you eventually but that should be there at launch.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Can really recommend WRC9. Might not be the most graphically stunning but it uses the dual sense in a logical way. Steep learning curve but a great thrill!

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Honestly I'm so paranoid about bricking the console that I close every game and do a hard shutdown everytime Im done with the console or switch to a steaming app (just closing the game in that case).

I haven't run into any issues but by all accounts this is the most buggy console OS ever. Way worse. You literally can't filter out microtransactions and DLC at the moment. I'm sure they'll let you eventually but that should be there at launch.

I think it’s just the games. NBA 2k21 requires a connection. If you enter rest mode during a game, it’ll lose connection and boot you back to the start screen. Assassins creed is somewhat similar. I end up back the at the start screen pretty often. But going back to my ps4 games that I’ve downloaded, it works the same as it always did. So it just so happens I picked a couple of ps5 games that don’t like rest mode.

Ive been using it the same way I used my ps4. I kinda assume most of the issues people talk about are rare. People won’t be tweeting about how their console works fine. You’re only going to hear about those with issues. The only issue I’ve had is that the top panel will rattle when the fan gets going. Obnoxious, but fixed if you put a finger on it.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I'd have to check if the PS4 was like this but man the PS5 BluRay drive is insanely fast. It transfers roughly 1.2-1.5 GB/min which if you do the math is between 150-200 Mbps. You pretty much will never get those speeds from Sony servers even if you have Gigabit internet.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

I went through the same thing. It was my new 4K switch. And also my (old) audio receiver. Neither allowed 4K signals to pass through. I gave up and left the signal at 1080p. Not worth buying a brand new 4K-compatible audio receiver just for 4K just yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad