Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
You are obsessed with this guy at the moment lol

tumblr_no16smd7y31qftb6ko1_1280.jpg

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I'm keeping an eye on Mohamed Amine El Amoura, 20 years old, forward playing for the current Algerian League leaders, Entente de Setif
Can ,winger, AM, create shots out of nowhere and make plays for his teammates

Fantastic talent, Belmadi called him during the previous international break but didn't play him, as even though those were friendly matches, the coach keeps the FIFA rankings in mind for the upcoming AFCON and WC group seedings if we qualify to said tournaments; Belmadi felt he wasn't ready yet to contribute, right now he needs players he can conot on right away
But he is playing with the NT youth team so that's ok

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This is an interesting signing for the CPL. The first instance of Atelti Ottawa using their link to Madrid for a loan signing. Should be good for league exposure;

Atlético Ottawa loans winger Rafael Núñez from Atlético Madrid for 2021 season

Hey, that's my hometown team.

Rafael Nunez said:
“I have never been to Canada, so I am excited to come to the capital and meet the fans. As a young player I am looking forward to getting some professional experience in Canada’s top league,” said Atlético Ottawa midfielder Rafael Núñez. “I can’t wait to play in front of the fans at TD Place.”

giphy.gif

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Since our defense has been such a topic of conversation at the Euros, I figured I'd talk about our biggest "hoffnungsträger" in defense. For this, I'm focusing on kids who haven't yet established themselves at the senior level, so I won't be discussing Uduokhai, Schlotterbeck, or Torunarigha...though his injuries have prevented him from fully establishing himself at the senior level.

And the best place to start is with the literally biggest of the lot; Armel Bella Kotchap ('01). The Paris-born Bella Kotchap has been starting for Bochum...44 BuLi2 matches under his belt already & he won't turn 20 until december...and was crucial to their securing 1st division football for next season. The absolutely massive kid has excellent mobility / quickness to go with his power / balance / length. Capable of making some truly great tackles / interceptions and a force in the air, the kid has also shown he can deliver some really high caliber passes...both long aerial balls and ones sprayed out to the wings along the pitch. This coming season will be a major test for the young Bella Kotchap, but if he passes it well, he should be poised for a big move next summer.

The next kid I wanna talk about is Bright Arrey-Mbi ('03). Like Musiala, Bayern snagged him from Chelsea's academy & he has played for an English youth NT before...8 matches with their u15s before switching to our u16s. Unlike the others I am discussing Arrey-Mbi has almost no senior team experience. With his only PT for Bayern's 1st team coming in the CL against Atletico Madrid; when Arrey-Mbi started at LWB in their group-stage 1-1 draw...other than that & 1 match with the u19s, his season was spent entirely with Bayern II in the 3rd division where he was an important starter. Not as big or powerful as Kotchap, Arrey-Mbi is quicker and seems to have genuinely special instincts/understanding of the game. He's probably my favorite to become our next Hummels.

Marton Dardai ('02) is probably the biggest name of the lot. Famous father, been on the scene for a long time, plays at a high visibility club, and has started breaking in at the senior level; with ~15 matches for Hertha to finish out the season. Dardai has sufficient size (1.88m) and good defensive instincts...but I wonder if he'll get pushed further forward at the senior level to make use of his skill on the ball. We'll see if he has the class of a Kimmich or Kroos if he does end up at the 6, but he's impressed me on the ball; both in those deeper areas as well as pushing forward. If he does stick in defense, those ball skills could be fantastic as LCB in a back 3.

The last teenager I wanted to bring up was Malick Thiaw ('01). The young Schalke defender is eligible for Finland and I'm not sure if he's more Kehrer or Klostermann, but he's another very interesting teen. Excellent mobility and some impressively timed challenges in the box for Schalke's senior team, have put him clearly in the picture for the NT if he continues developing well...getting a nomination to the u21 team despite the s***show around him. Schalke was such a mess that it's hard to assess his game, especially in build-up play, but he has certainly showed the flashes of an interesting defender.

Honorable mention: Lars Mai ('00), no longer a teenager Mai has become a regular starter in the 2nd division for Darmstadt and is one of the most elegant german defenders I have seen at the youth level. Not sure what the future holds for him, but his ability to read the game at a high level despite his age keeps me intrigued to watch him develop further.

Other interesting kids include: Antonis Aidonis ('01), Arbnor Aliu ('03) & maybe Frederik Jäkel ('01)...though personally, I haven't been too impressed with Jäkel whenever I've seen him play for our youth NTs :-/

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Brobbey or @YNWA14 both seem accurate.

I've seen only a handful of games for Brobbey. He was great every time. Who knows if he continues to progress though.
If he does, he should be able to earn PT for Leipzig pretty quickly. We still have to see how much Marsch will play Forsberg, Olmo & Szoboszlai as false-nines, but Hwang is expected to be sold & who knows what happens with Sorloth.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t know where he fits in, but I have high hopes for Nnamdi Collins. He’s being talked up the most after the end of last season into the summer of the players who has the best chance to play significant preseason minutes and then stick with the first team for next season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don’t know where he fits in, but I have high hopes for Nnamdi Collins. He’s being talked up the most after the end of last season into the summer of the players who has the best chance to play significant preseason minutes and then stick with the first team for next season.
That would be cool. He hasn't played for the U17s yet because of the pandemic, so I haven't seen any of him to add anything, but it never hurts to have more young talents doing well at our biggest problem spot.

Let's just hope these kids develop better than Süle, Tah & Torunarigha have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
With the terrible performance of the front two for the Netherlands - do we have anything coming up in the pipeline to rectify this? Or is everything at mid field and the back line?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
With the terrible performance of the front two for the Netherlands - do we have anything coming up in the pipeline to rectify this? Or is everything at mid field and the back line?
I'm no expert on dutch youth so I'll just @ some of our dutch fans for you...but unless your young forward talents have stagnated over the past year or two, yes you do.

Brobbey & Malen are the two names I'm remembering, but hopefully you can get more thorough answers from: @Ajacied @YNWA14

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm no expert on dutch youth so I'll just @ some of our dutch fans for you...but unless your young forward talents have stagnated over the past year or two, yes you do.

Brobbey & Malen are the two names I'm remembering, but hopefully you can get more thorough answers from: @Ajacied @YNWA14

Thanks.. Malen was in the line-up and unfortunately had one of the worst plays on a 1v1 with the goal keeper i've seen at a critical moment. Hoping for more quality than that.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Wasn't Stengs supposed to be elite or getting there...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Thanks.. Malen was in the line-up and unfortunately had one of the worst plays on a 1v1 with the goal keeper i've seen at a critical moment. Hoping for more quality than that.
Yeah, Malen's finishing in the final third at this level isn't as impressive as it was at youth levels. But he wouldn't be the only striker with some ugly misses in his early-20s who went on to be excellent.

Brobbey seems more clinical, but again...I'm just going off of what I remember from recent U19 & U21 euros, our dutch posters should have a lot more for you.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I think it's a bit early to write off Malen all things considered. He's done well at club for two seasons now. People make too much of the NT performances relative to those at club level. Hence some of the crazy post NT tournament signings over the years.

Reactions: YNWA14 and cgf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad