Soccer Prospect Discussion Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
@cgf, what do you think of Malick Sanogo? I read he's started training with the first team, and may be close to a debut.

I would've thought he'd play for Ivory Coast because thats who his father played for, but it looks right now like its either Germany or USA. He's been invited and accepted an invitation to a cancelled U-17 camp for both countries so far, so he seems unsure yet who he'll play for.

No clue. Haven't watched our u17s this season or last and he hasn't featured for any of the youth NTs I have seen.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So Jojo's 5th goal (+2 assists) in 6 matches for LASK has helped them into 1st place ahead of RB Salzburg...

*sigh* if only he hadn't missed basically 3 years of development right as he outgrew youth football. Still one of the most elegant strikers I've ever seen play youth football.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Batista called up his u20 team, Some notable omissions but still a good squad. This is for the SA championship to qualify for the World Cup. Early next year

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Batista called up his u20 team, Some notable omissions but still a good squad. This is for the SA championship to qualify for the World Cup. Early next year

How close was Matko Miljevic to making this team?

He might've declined anyway. Seems like he hasn't made his mind up between USA and Argentina. Croatia also has tried to contact him to play for them.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
How close was Matko Miljevic to making this team?

He might've declined anyway. Seems like he hasn't made his mind up between USA and Argentina. Croatia also has tried to contact him to play for them.
Not sure tbh this isnt the final team. As many players are still playing with their club team in the various copas going on in SA. They should have a very good team in the Spring/Summer.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Very disappointing game from Velasco. Pedro on the other hand has played good. Lands have 3/4 bright young players on the cusp of breaking out.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Some of Geiger's strong scenes from the gent match; including his gorgeous assist on Skov's goal that made it 2-0 & his goal-saving tackle while racing back to help against the counter at 3-0.

Plus Beier's first european goals at 0:55 & 4:30 (assist at 6:33)...the 1st was flukey but the 2nd's a beaut...in the process making him Hoffenheim's 2nd youngest goal scorer; ~a month older than Süle was but ~5 months younger than Alaba was. Hopefully this gives Beier the confidence to take over a regular role alongside Kramaric & some of the Croatian club legend's crafty magic rubs off on young Maxi.

Last edited:

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Nice goal by Gustavo Maia for Brazil u20 vs Bolivia. Barcelona's got a good one here

then a nice little skill move (don't know how it's called in English)

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Highly touted Mohamed Simakan (Strasbourg), who's a defenseman, is playing right now as I speak and so far he's almost scored a goal, obtained 2 penalties (both were missed by the shooter) and just scored the tying goal in 66 minutes.

Reactions: Gecklund

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Highly touted Mohamed Simakan (Strasbourg), who's a defenseman, is playing right now as I speak and so far he's almost scored a goal, obtained 2 penalties (both were missed by the shooter) and just scored the tying goal in 66 minutes.
But does he defend?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I miss the great Ronaldo. At his peak he was the most entertaining player of my lifetime. Too bad for his injuries and... lifestyle.

I have not seen a player like him since. Mbappe is the closest to him with his speed and ability with the ball but even him is nothing compared to the footwork of El Fenomeno.

Is there any upcoming young phenomenon that could rival the dribbling master in the future?

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Have to say I really like how well some of Spurs youth players have developed as of late.

Oliver Skipp (20 y/o, central midfielder) is a nailed on starter for Norwich, the leaders of the Championship. Should be involved with Spurs squad next season if you ask me.

Harvey White (19 y/o, central midfielder) is one of the absolute best midfielders in the U23 league, and should also start getting more involved with the first team within a year or two. Got a few minutes in the Europa League against Ludogorets.

As for Troy Parrott (18 y/o, striker) his Millwall career started rough with him getting injured, but he's been getting quite a bit of minutes as of late. Production is lacking so far though.

However, this might be premature, but the two largest talents seem to be Dane Scarlett (16 y/o, striker) and Alfie Devine (16 y/o, central midfielder). Both of them have already proven themselves far above the level of the U18's and started featuring for the U23's. Scarlett even got a few minutes for the first team against Ludogorets and looked incredibly good.

Beyond these players they have some pretty hyped up fullbacks in their academy system in Dermi Lusala (17 y/o, right back) and Dennis Cirkin (18 y/o, left back).

Edit: Found a relevant clip from today's match against Chelsea's u23's.

Scarlett scoring with White assisting (Cech in goal!):

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
From my very limited viewings and understanding, defending is his strength. I thought he was really good defensively but needed to work on his passing.
Yeah, he's above all a very good defensive player. Can play RB, CB and DM.
Cool. Yeah my alarm bells go off when people qualify how good a defensive player is based on what he does on offense. Carry on.

Reactions: bluesfan94

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
One to watch from the Brighton system in Jensen Weir. Scored his fifth goal from midfield today in PL-2. Has some all-round qualities to his game as well/ At 18, hopefully we see him progress to the Senior squad in the not too distant future.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I miss the great Ronaldo. At his peak he was the most entertaining player of my lifetime. Too bad for his injuries and... lifestyle.

I have not seen a player like him since. Mbappe is the closest to him with his speed and ability with the ball but even him is nothing compared to the footwork of El Fenomeno.

Is there any upcoming young phenomenon that could rival the dribbling master in the future?
You mean Messi?

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You mean Messi?

Right? I'm still in the camp that thinks that Ronaldo-classic's combination of skill & physical tools was the greatest I've seen in my life time and that he had an even higher ceiling to his talent than Leo did...even if he didn't get as close to his ceiling as Messi did his & his peak wasn't anywhere near as long...but it's those physical advantages that he held over Leo that make me say those things, not his dribbling & ball control.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Right? I'm still in the camp that thinks that Ronaldo-classic's combination of skill & physical tools was the greatest I've seen in my life time and that he had an even higher ceiling to his talent than Leo did...even if he didn't get as close to his ceiling as Messi did his & his peak wasn't anywhere near as long...but it's those physical advantages that he held over Leo that make me say those things, not his dribbling & ball control.
Missed Ronaldo in his prime so, cant really comment on his ceiling however, yeah, I dont think anyone beats Lio in his dribbling. That goal against Getafe is just impossible save for him and Maradona.

The other thing Messi doesn't get nearly enough credit is his mentality and soccer IQ.

Reactions: cgf and Vasilevskiy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad