Soccer Prospect Discussion Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Next big thing to come out of the MLS: Brian Reynolds. He’s a RB currently in the FC Dallas system but is being monitored by tons of teams. He’s tall (6’ 3”), fast as hell, strong, and athletic. The best part about him though is he’s smart. He doesn’t rely on his physical attributes to be good. He’s also a great dribbler and a crosser.

https://youtu.be/jHTG2YYzV84

O
bviously highlights don’t tell the whole story but here’s a good highlight video from this year (kind of long at 4 minutes). What’s so impressive to me is he didn’t even come into the year as a starter. Dallas still had Reggie Cannon who was one of the best RBs in the league before being sold into Boavista (Lille system) and is now being monitored by Benfica. Cannon was sold in early September. In those 4ish months, Reynolds has established himself in this league and was able to do what he did in that video. Guy is going to be the next Davies and have a similar impact in a few years or at least has the potential to. The biggest team I’ve seen him linked to is Juve but I imagine he goes to Germany.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
At that size better off being a CB.
Problem is that neutralizes his offensive skills. Yeah he’s good on the ball and would be able to carry it forward but watching him reminds me of watching Davies in the MLS. Yes Davies was younger in the MLS (Davies is currently 20. I think he was 15-18 in the MLS) so I don’t see him reaching Davies arguable best in the world at his position but I mean it’s not like RB is a deep position either so it’s possible.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Problem is that neutralizes his offensive skills. Yeah he’s good on the ball and would be able to carry it forward but watching him reminds me of watching Davies in the MLS. Yes Davies was younger in the MLS (Davies is currently 20. I think he was 15-18 in the MLS) so I don’t see him reaching Davies arguable best in the world at his position but I mean it’s not like RB is a deep position either so it’s possible.
Im just thinking it of how a coach would see it. His size the probably want him in the box. Rightly or wrongly.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Missed Ronaldo in his prime so, cant really comment on his ceiling however, yeah, I dont think anyone beats Lio in his dribbling. That goal against Getafe is just impossible save for him and Maradona.

The other thing Messi doesn't get nearly enough credit is his mentality and soccer IQ.

I barely remember Ronaldo's absolute peak, as it was only after his comeback when I start to remember live matches well.

But I'll never forget this one goal that Ronaldo scored for Real after he had already gotten fat. The way he was able to receive a cross into the box with one side of his foot, wrap his foot around the ball while it was still a few feet up in the air, and riffle the volley into the back of the net with the other side of his foot, all in one motion; melted my little kid brain & I spent hours with my buddy trying to figure out the physics of what we had just seen. Couldn't tell you whom it was against or even what season it was from, but I can still vividly picture that fat bastard poking his leg up to freeze that ball in the air :laugh:

Messi having that technical brilliance that fat Ronaldo had in his toolkit was why I was always so uninterested in the Messi-CR7 "debates" we were forced to have. Leo had that magic that kids will be shown by their football-mad uncles for generations. CR7 was a physical freak who used his tools very intelligently & tried so f***in hard...but he just didn't have that transcendental genius that most attracts me to this sport like Leo did.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
At that size better off being a CB.

No, he can’t defend. He’s a former attacker moved to wingback. Using him as a fullback is also a stretch, which is why he fits well with these Italian teams that use three at the back. Those in the know have been saying that’s where he’ll transfer to. First it was Juventus, and now it seems like other teams (Milan) might’ve started a bidding war. We’ll see where he goes. Supposedly Juventus was a near certainty to sign him and now it’s not so clear what team.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I went back to watch the Leverkusen game and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better 17 year old in the world than Wirtz. That kid is just so dynamic, scored a beauty of a goal and has impressed me every time I've seen him play. I had followed him a bit before his breakout and was impressed that he adjusted so quickly. There've been a lot of comparisons to Havertz because of his age of breakout and the team he's on but I think that all the other differences aside one big difference that I think will allow him to excel at the highest level is that he's a livewire; he works hard on the pitch. Havertz has never been a high effort player and we're seeing that now in England (not that he can't adjust for that), but Wirtz doesn't have that problem. Anyway, it's always nice to see a young wondertalent excelling (hope Liverpool is keeping tabs, I think he'd fit in great there).

Crazy to think that he's doing this as a key piece for the top team (currently) in the BuLi and he won't even turn 18 until May.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
No, he can’t defend. He’s a former attacker moved to wingback. Using him as a fullback is also a stretch, which is why he fits well with these Italian teams that use three at the back. Those in the know have been saying that’s where he’ll transfer to. First it was Juventus, and now it seems like other teams (Milan) might’ve started a bidding war. We’ll see where he goes. Supposedly Juventus was a near certainty to sign him and now it’s not so clear what team.
I’ve only see Juve. It’s funny though because the same things were said about Davies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’ve only see Juve. It’s funny though because the same things were said about Davies.

Tom Bogert tweeted about Milan a few days ago. An Italian journalist tweeted last week that a lot of Italian teams were involved, but it wasn't going to be Juventus.

I think Davies comes with a more solid foundation for success. He was really good his last season in MLS as a winger. He was bought based on his success playing as a winger. Reynolds is a former striker/winger that was converted to fullback/wingback. He had a trial at Bayern Munich a year or two ago based on FC Dallas' affiliation with Bayern Munich, and it apparently didn't go very well. He struggled initially with the position. Now he's thrust into a starting role because Cannon left. I get what people are saying when they try to compare him to Davies, and why big European teams are interested in a 6'3 fullback/wingback that can fly and has attacker skills, but Reynolds is raw potential. Davies was a proven commodity (for an 18 year old).

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Tom Bogert tweeted about Milan a few days ago. An Italian journalist tweeted last week that a lot of Italian teams were involved, but it wasn't going to be Juventus.

I think Davies comes with a more solid foundation for success. He was really good his last season in MLS as a winger. He was bought based on his success playing as a winger. Reynolds is a former striker/winger that was converted to fullback/wingback. He had a trial at Bayern Munich a year or two ago based on FC Dallas' affiliation with Bayern Munich, and it apparently didn't go very well. He struggled initially with the position. Now he's thrust into a starting role because Cannon left. I get what people are saying when they try to compare him to Davies, and why big European teams are interested in a 6'3 fullback/wingback that can fly and has attacker skills, but Reynolds is raw potential. Davies was a proven commodity (for an 18 year old).
Don’t get me wrong I don’t think Reynolds will be as good as Davies but I could easily see him turning into a Kyle Walker type RB. Obviously not perfect defensively but fast as hell and offers a lot going forward

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I went back to watch the Leverkusen game and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better 17 year old in the world than Wirtz. That kid is just so dynamic, scored a beauty of a goal and has impressed me every time I've seen him play. I had followed him a bit before his breakout and was impressed that he adjusted so quickly. There've been a lot of comparisons to Havertz because of his age of breakout and the team he's on but I think that all the other differences aside one big difference that I think will allow him to excel at the highest level is that he's a livewire; he works hard on the pitch. Havertz has never been a high effort player and we're seeing that now in England (not that he can't adjust for that), but Wirtz doesn't have that problem. Anyway, it's always nice to see a young wondertalent excelling (hope Liverpool is keeping tabs, I think he'd fit in great there).

Crazy to think that he's doing this as a key piece for the top team (currently) in the BuLi and he won't even turn 18 until May.

He's a lot of fun...I do still worry he'll peak as more of an "unreal at taking advantage of the slightest errors/openings that are presented to him" type creator, rather than a "going to make my own openings & capitalize on them" type; as he reminds me more of a young Özil than the more dynamic threats that Havertz & Hazard were at similar stages...but he's an incredible talent for his age & a pleasure to watch pull the strings for Bosz's boys, either way.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Bellingham may be better, but I'm not sure there's any other great candidate. Musiala might be another candidate. Thats probably it.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Bellingham may be better, but I'm not sure there's any other great candidate. Musiala might be another candidate. Thats probably it.
Harvey Elliott has impressed me more than Bellingham or Musiala, but I still think Wirtz is easily ahead of those three.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Harvey Elliott has impressed me more than Bellingham or Musiala, but I still think Wirtz is easily ahead of those three.

Watch more of Bellingham then. He's brilliant. Already Dortmund's best midfielder. Better than players such as Witsel, Can, Delaney, Dahoud already.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Watch more of Bellingham then. He's brilliant. Already Dortmund's best midfielder. Better than players such as Witsel, Can, Delaney, Dahoud already.
Yeah I've seen him a few times and while he certainly looks like he's got talent I don't think he's as consistently good as Wirtz and Elliott. He had a couple stinkers (not that that's a terrible thing at his age, or unexpected). If we're talking pure talent as well for 03s obviously Cherki has to be considered despite not lighting the world on fire just yet.

Though I've wanted to watch more of Dortmund as well so I'll try and catch those games more consistently with a bit more free time now.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Witsel is your best midfielder even if he was an older-buy.

That said Bellingham has been great for his age...not as great as Wirtz (despite my questions about his ceiling)...but still very impressive.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Witsel is your best midfielder even if he was an older-buy.

That said Bellingham has been great for his age...not as great as Wirtz (despite my questions about his ceiling)...but still very impressive.

Witsel has been bad for nearly a full calendar year now. He’s too engrained to Favre football. Plays too slow and doesn’t play forward often enough. I think he’ll be one of the big losers under Terzic that is going to emphasize a quicker tempo. He’s been a good purchase, but he may be near his end at the club.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know Cherki's hyped at that level, but he has to deliver at some point to warrant consideration at the very top. Cherki doesn't have a goal or assist all season. Wirtz has 5G+5A. Cherki is probably somewhere in the next tier after the top tier. I think the top tier is reserved for the players who are making a big impact right now like Wirtz and Bellingham. Musiala would be the one exception, as he's not playing a huge role, but it's not exactly easy to break into that starting lineup. When he's played, I've been very impressed. I've only briefly seen Elliott play, but it looks like he's having a pretty good season, albeit at a lower level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad