Soccer Prospect Discussion Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
The Netherlands exports more talent than all of those countries.
The Netherlands has a pool 4 times bigger than the country that just finished 2nd in the WC and came in 3rd in 98. That country also produced a Ballon d'Or winner which is something the Netherlands hasn't been able to do in 28 years since van Basten did it. And where exactly do you get those figures, plus what constitutes talent? Every two-bit footballer that leaves Netherlands? I'd take a Modric over anything Netherlands produced recently. Same with KdB or Hazard. Or Suarez. Not to mention the likes of Ronaldo and the host of guys behind him for Portugal. Quality over pure quantity, and it's not like the quantity is lacking either. I mean who's the best player Netherlands produced in the last 15 years? van Dijk? Sneijder and his one amazing year? Robben?

PS

Croatia World's Biggest Exporter of Footballers Per Capita | Croatia Week

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The Netherlands has a pool 4 times bigger than the country that just finished 2nd in the WC and came in 3rd in 98. That country also produced a Ballon d'Or winner which is something the Netherlands hasn't been able to do in 28 years since van Basten did it. And where exactly do you get those figures, plus what constitutes talent? Every two-bit footballer that leaves Netherlands? I'd take a Modric over anything Netherlands produced recently. Same with KdB or Hazard. Or Suarez. Not to mention the likes of Ronaldo and the host of guys behind him for Portugal. Quality over pure quantity, and it's not like the quantity is lacking either. I mean who's the best player Netherlands produced in the last 15 years? van Dijk? Sneijder and his one amazing year? Robben?
I don't understand what you're getting at listing legitimate World Class players as though that's some strike against the Netherlands? I mean, a lot of people think that van Dijk was deserving of the Ballon d'Or last season and more deserving than Modric was of his for example. Robben was among the best players in the world when healthy. Why would we only consider the very best players ever produced for the country anyway? Even if that were the only consideration the Netherlands have a long history of producing world class talent (you mentioned only a few of course). Are you really trying to argue that the Netherlands does not produce quality footballers but then go on to list van Dijk (with a big question mark) and Robben?

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I don't understand what you're getting at listing legitimate World Class players as though that's some strike against the Netherlands? I mean, a lot of people think that van Dijk was deserving of the Ballon d'Or last season and more deserving than Modric was of his for example. Robben was among the best players in the world when healthy. Why would we only consider the very best players ever produced for the country anyway? Even if that were the only consideration the Netherlands have a long history of producing world class talent (you mentioned only a few of course). Are you really trying to argue that the Netherlands does not produce quality footballers but then go on to list van Dijk (with a big question mark) and Robben?

Bolded is hilarious. And check the link, Croatia produces more internationals in raw numbers - size of pool notwithstanding - than the Netherlands which has a pool roughly 4 times bigger than Croatia. And no, the point obviously wasn't that the Netherlands doesn't produce world class footballers, they obviously do, the point was that you made up something out of thin air and decided that the Netherlands is the biggest producer of talented - whatever the hell that means - footballers per capita based on what exactly? Pure conjecture that has no basis in reality.

PS

And I don't think Croatia is the biggest producer of talented footballers. France is, as it took the mantle form Spain. Historically speaking the only nations that have a claim at this title - as irrelevant as it is - are Brazil and Germany. Argentina while being blessed with the GOAT and Maradona didn't produce elite players at the rate these two did, while France got in on the act when Platini hit the stage. Italy might be a dark-horse, but I just don't rate them all that high outside of keepers and the back-line.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Bolded is hilarious. And check the link, Croatia produces more internationals in raw numbers - size of pool notwithstanding - than the Netherlands which has a pool roughly 4 times bigger than Croatia. And no, the point obviously wasn't that the Netherlands doesn't produce world class footballers, they obviously do, the point was that you made up something out of thin air and decided that the Netherlands is the biggest producer of talented - whatever the hell that means - footballers per capita based on what exactly? Pure conjecture that has no basis in reality.
My information was based on exports to the top 10 leagues in Europe (can't find the link at the moment) which I think is probably a little less arbitrary than any footballer that leaves the country to any league in Europe/the World. I'm not sure what bringing up van Dijk, Sneijder and Robben (especially with the seeming insinuation that they aren't that impressive then listing someone like Modric comparatively, heh) had to do with your point exactly which is why I questioned it (along with the commentary about the Ballon d'Or); it still doesn't make sense, and your evaluation of those players seems interesting at best. I do think that those numbers are impressive though, and I didn't know they had more players overall being exported across Europe (though I imagine this has more to do with the Netherlands having a relatively competitive league in good standing in Europe than not having the same raw number of players capable of playing across Europe). A 'two bit' Netherlands footballer is more likely to stay in the Eredivisie than a player of similar quality playing in the Croatian or Uruguayan league for example. France, Spain and Brazil are certainly the top nations for exporting of talent overall though.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Van Dijk should have won the ballon d’Or and I’m not a fan of any of his teams. Robben was absolutely world class and on the level of Hazard/KdB. Van Persie was fantastic and right there with Suarez (Suarez was a half step ahead).

using the results of a single elimination tournament is silly.

Reactions: YNWA14

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Van Dijk should have won the ballon d’Or and I’m not a fan of any of his teams. Robben was absolutely world class and on the level of Hazard/KdB. Van Persie was fantastic and right there with Suarez (Suarez was a half step ahead).

Nope

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Varane should have won it more than Modric.

Anyway, Robben was not in KDB/Hazard class sorry.
Van Persie was also never in Suarez territory.

Holland has made some of the best footballers of all time, but since Van Basten not one that could claim to be the best at his position. VVD could claim that.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
They aren't as impressive as a guy who's been a top 3 midfielder in the world over the last 10 years or so.

Also, a quick count of Croatian and Dutch players in the Serie A, Premier league, League 1 and la Liga shows 36 for Croatia, 70 for Netherlands. Not even 2:1 ration.

And even discounting Croatia what makes the Netherlands a more prolific talent producer than Portugal?

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020

:laugh:

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Well I can’t argue with this.

Like literally. It’s so devoid of substance and intelligent thought it’s impossible to argue with.
What is there to say to a hot take like that? Taking the guy with the highest number of errors that led directly to goals against that had two great seasons over a top 3 midfielder of his generation? Putting van Persie in the same tier with Suarez? It's absurd and there isn't a footballer I ever hated as much as I hate Suarez.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

I agree with most of this; I think Robben's peak he was actually better than Hazard/KdB but unfortunately injuries absolutely derailed him. Probably a top 3 player in the world when he really peaked. Easy to forget too that he was the best player for the Netherlands over a span that saw them come within 2 misses of a WC, got 3rd in the next WC (in this one he pretty much put the whole team on his back) and he was the best player for an historic treble winning Bayern, etc. I hate that he just couldn't stay healthy. :(

I don't think that RVP was up there with Suarez. Great player for sure, but Suarez was a different class. I see Suarez more comparable to Robben/de Bruyne.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Would you have him as a top 3 MF in his generation?? I can think of a couple MF's that played from your club that I would take over Modric in a heart beat and that is just the tip of the iceberg...
And those guys are only ones that can be argued as better. Who else has the resume Modric has?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Would you have him as a top 3 MF in his generation?? I can think of a couple MF's that played from your club that I would take over Modric in a heart beat and that is just the tip of the iceberg...
I wouldnt say top 3 but he has had a better career than both VVD/Robben. The latter for sure considering his injuries.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
What is there to say to a hot take like that? Taking the guy with the highest number of errors that led directly to goals against that had two great seasons over a top 3 midfielder of his generation? Putting van Persie in the same tier with Suarez? It's absurd and there isn't a footballer I ever hated as much as I hate Suarez.
I never said that VvD had a better career than Modric. And all that stat does is show the silliness of some stats.

I'm an Arsenal fan and I don't like Liverpool, so that might be coloring my RvP take. But in Suarez's best EPL season, he had 31 goals in the EPL, 0 in the Cups, and didn't play in Europe. In RvP's best EPL season, he had 30 goals in the EPL, 2 in the FA Cup and 5 in Champions League.

Anyway, I think if you combine Portugal, Croatia, Uruguay, and Belgium over the last, say, 20 years and compare to the Netherlands, they have a better XI, but it's decently close.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I never said that VvD had a better career than Modric. And all that stat does is show the silliness of some stats.

I'm an Arsenal fan and I don't like Liverpool, so that might be coloring my RvP take. But in Suarez's best EPL season, he had 31 goals in the EPL, 0 in the Cups, and didn't play in Europe. In RvP's best EPL season, he had 30 goals in the EPL, 2 in the FA Cup and 5 in Champions League.

Anyway, I think if you combine Portugal, Croatia, Uruguay, and Belgium over the last, say, 20 years and compare to the Netherlands, they have a better XI, but it's decently close.
I'd take Portugal over Netherlands alone, with Figo and Cristiano alone enough to do so.

And the point was per capita internationals. Which I think I proved was a hot take with no basis in reality.

I was a dumb dumb for just laughing your post off though.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I'd take Portugal over Netherlands alone, with Figo and Cristiano alone enough to do so.

And the point was per capita internationals. Which I think I proved was a hot take with no basis in reality.

I was a dumb dumb for just laughing your post off though.
It's all good, we've all been a dumb dumb here.

And yeah, I'm not talking simply internationals, I'm talking about a best starting XI. Portugal has two studs (one near GOAT), and a few other solid players (Pepe, for example). But I think the Dutch have a better all around line up. And now I'm actually going to spend time doing this because I don't want to be doing work

Reactions: YNWA14
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad