Soccer Prospect Discussion Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Jamal Musiala is training with the Bayern first team. He got his pro debut recently with Bayern II in the 3rd league. He scored 2 goals in his last game for them.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Since the season is over, I thought I'd give an overview of the Dortmund academy.

2000: Almost nothing left here. Raschl is part of the first team and has impressed in preseason and friendlies, but I think he may be the last field player on the depth chart under Favre. He hasn't played all season. I'm not sure he's good enough to make it at Dortmund, but it'd be nice to see him get a runout. He'll probably go out on loan somewhere next season.

2001: Unbehaun missed the first two months of the season due to injury. He's co-third keeper right now, but the other guy isn't a real prospect and is there more for training, so he's third keeper in the real pecking order. I think he's going to need to go out on loan next season. I think there's a good chance that he could come back to Dortmund in 2-3 years and get playing time because I do think he's going to be a good keeper, but he's not going to be given playing time anytime soon.

Outside chance for Pherai to get into the first team. He's supposedly going to be on the first team next season, although I've not seen an official announcement. But he'd likely have a similar spot to what Raschl had this season. I think Reyna skipping right over him into first team playing time in the second half of this season was the writing on the wall for him. Bakir isn't bad either, but he's supposedly going to be playing with the second team next season, which is indication he's not viewed as an eventual first team guy.

2002: Obviously Reyna is now playing with the first team. He plays nearly every game, but hasn't yet started. He was supposed to start a few weeks ago, but got injured in warm up. Favre is a big fan of his. I don't know if he's yet justified all the playing time and trust Favre has in him, but he also hasn't looked out of place. The biggest challenge for him will be playing time, especially if Favre isn't the coach next season. There are still a lot of options in front of him that are better than him.

Bafounta has been injured for over a year now. It's too bad because he was supposed to be very talented. I don't think anyone knows what his current game is like because he hasn't played in so long. He still has another year in the U19's to prove himself, if he can get fit. Hetemi had some early hype, but hasn't been as good as expected. I think he has a chance to get a first team contract, but doesn't look like the caliber of player that will be given anything but a training role with the team. Knauff is also pretty good, but probably not good enough either for a real role in the team.

2003: There's no one great in this age group that'll definitely be a first team player. The best is probably Lutke-Frie, who is very versatile and productive. I think he'll definitely at least get a first team contract, but he might not be good enough to get games. Semic, Gurpuz and Fink are some other talented players. None are elite guys, at this point, but we'll see where their games are at in another year.

2004: Everyone knows about Moukoko and Collins. Moukoko is probably the most hyped youth player in the world in any age group, but Collins could be better eventually. Both players are going to be given a chance to break through at some point. Moukoko might get a shot sometime next season. Collins is probably more likely to get games the season after that. Cisse, Bamba, Mrosek, Walz are some other promising names in this age group. It's too early to say whether they'll be first team players.

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Montral Impact signed 16 year Keesean Ferdinand out of their academy. Youngest player to come out of the academy and he was the first player to come through Montreal's 'Pre-Acadamy' system. He looked solid last year at the U-17 WC, hoping he can progress even further with his first pro-contract.

Reactions: Cassano

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Montral Impact signed 16 year Keesean Ferdinand out of their academy. Youngest player to come out of the academy and he was the first player to come through Montreal's 'Pre-Acadamy' system. He looked solid last year at the U-17 WC, hoping he can progress even further with his first pro-contract.

What I wonder is where all these kids are going to play for the time being.

We have the same problem as you guys. These kids already lost a few months of their season, which doesn't help. There are now rumors that the new MLS academy league and USL academy league are both going to line up with their senior league's 2021 schedule, so that leaves these kids without anywhere to play for the time being. Also, some of the MLS teams with USL clubs have said they are opting out of fielding USL teams for the rest of the season. I'm hoping there's a reversal on both of these fronts, and we see them operate in 2020. I suspect the CPL youth programs could be similarly effected, as they probably have even less money than MLS/USL clubs.

What I'd hope is that a kid like this doesn't go a full year without a structured league to play in. Maybe this guy in particular won't because he's now on a first team contract, but a player a year younger or a similarly talented kid without a first team contract would see their development suffer a lot from a year without a structured set-up.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Ferdinand you say? Interesting...

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
What I wonder is where all these kids are going to play for the time being.

We have the same problem as you guys. These kids already lost a few months of their season, which doesn't help. There are now rumors that the new MLS academy league and USL academy league are both going to line up with their senior league's 2021 schedule, so that leaves these kids without anywhere to play for the time being. Also, some of the MLS teams with USL clubs have said they are opting out of fielding USL teams for the rest of the season. I'm hoping there's a reversal on both of these fronts, and we see them operate in 2020. I suspect the CPL youth programs could be similarly effected, as they probably have even less money than MLS/USL clubs.

What I'd hope is that a kid like this doesn't go a full year without a structured league to play in. Maybe this guy in particular won't because he's now on a first team contract, but a player a year younger or a similarly talented kid without a first team contract would see their development suffer a lot from a year without a structured set-up.
It's definitely an unfortunate year for NA youth .

What sucks for Canadian Soccer is the CPL has created the first viable stepping stone for young Canadians. Between promoting players from the top Provincial leagues, open trials, and drafting out of U-Sports; there are many more ways to get a pro-contract. U-sports, OSL, and QSL have all shut down for the Fall, effectively stunting our pipeline that only just got off the ground.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Chris Richards, 2000 American born CB, debuted for Bayern today. He probably won’t be there next season. I think they’ll loan him out, but I think he’s going to be pretty good once he finds a place to play in the pro game.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I wasn’t sure that he was real.

all I found out was that he is half Ethiopian

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
How a Soccer Star Is Made

Not sure if many of you remember this article. Either way in a really neat story the 5 year old spoken of in the article as a prodigy, Delano van der Heijden, has signed his first contract with Feyenoord (not Ajax, as it turns out). He's quite talented and still playing up age groups so we'll see how far he goes but pretty cool that he's come from a 5 year old being scouted and written about to a real talent and prospect.

I also feel very old suddenly.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Sounds great to me! Would love to hear more about him.
Yeah so it turns out he was Noah’s coach while he was there. Very quick, good feet, good work ethic. Played CM at Futuro but sounds like he’s been moved to fullback in Europe. He had a trial with Arsenal a few years back also.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Man City calling up Jayden Braaf to train with their first team.
Probably their top prospect. Maybe he gets some minutes with the league settled.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Probably their top prospect. Maybe he gets some minutes with the league settled.
Yeh, top tier talent. Questionable game sense though so will be interesting to see how he adjusts to not trying to take on the other team entirely by himself. Great dribbler, fast, good finishing and when he wants to he can pass pretty well. Tunnel vision could be a problem. Still, he's very good and it'll be interesting to see if he actually gets an opportunity at City or not.

Anderlecht have said they're going to try and keep Jeremy Doku at all costs, which is too bad because I know Liverpool have tried to sign him before.

Lisandru Tramoni looks very talented out of AC Ajaccio. Haven't seen too much of him but PSG tried to sign him and other big clubs have been sniffing around.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Balogun wants to move on from Arsenal if they don't give him more opportunities in the first team. Been one of the academies more prolific players in recent times.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

I'm going to slightly disagree. Jamie Bynoe-Gittens is their best prospect. Saw him play a U17 international tournament that included Spain, England, USA and Denmark. The clear standout at the tournament, in my opinion.

He's two years younger than Braaf, so it might take a few years before he's into the first team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad