HF Habs: So who would you like Habs to draft @ 15?

So which would you draft at 15?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Hopefully, we can come to a close, which I expect it to be of agreeing to disagree, I guess I will give you my brief answers/precisions to make sure understand each other point of view well before coming to a close.

1) Still, I meant the gap won't ever be that large.
2) I don't doubt that he shoots from all angles, but not to the point of frequency of a 300 shots NHL player factoring the number of opportunities he will have; to shoot 300 times would mean to shoot as often as Gallagher, and he isn't that type of player, he waits more often for the right opportunities. Nor does he have that bomb to play like a Seguin or Ovechkin either.

I think Kaliyev blast is on another dimension that's why they don't compare that well and I don't see any restricting factor preventing that slapper going in on an NHL PP a few years from now. Obviously, Kaliyev has his own downsides, like I indeed do not doubt that Caufield is vastly less of floater than Kaliyev.

No doubt Caufield is good at presenting himself as a shooting option, that being said, it is still relevant to point how abnormally easy it was to obtain good shooting opportunities playing along Hughes and that USDP squad. The NHL distinguishes himself especially from junior leagues in how tight defensive coverage are, how many good shooting chances will he get per game at the NHL level? This will lead to how many goals?

I feel like saying that everything needs to be elite for a 5'7 player is just charging a prospect for the same things multiple times. IMO, one gets to ding a prospect for being 5'7 once.

Not elite in everything but I believe it is the cruel way you need to look at it in order project correctly. If he was a speedster or a very good playmaker, it would make a big difference in how he projects, being a diminutive sniper makes him too one-dimensional (adding to the fact that his shot power isn't something special in NHL terms).

Yeah, Debrincat succeeded, we know the success stories. How does he compare at the same age than guys like Shinkaruk, Petan, and Bracco? Bracco, maybe Petan, might pan out to something but we aren't talking of top10 talent here. How much better is he than a player like Taylor Cammarata with 93 USHL points DY or Tyler Kelleher who lead the USDP17/18 in points? Yeah, Caufield is likely better but by how much? Someone could have argued that for Cammarata you could discount 50% of what he does in the USHL in terms of NHL projection and still succeed in the NHL, it is simply so much harder for 5'7 players game to translate from junior to the NHL. With everything I mentioned, there is no indication he is some surefire thing, that you could overlook his size deficit since his skills are so out of the ordinary that it makes him worthy to be a top10 talent.

How much do you think he scores on an average OHL first line? I am very intrigued by that.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Hopefully, we can come to a close, which I expect it to be of agreeing to disagree, I guess I will give you my brief answers/precisions to make sure understand each other point of view well before coming to a close.

Yeah, I think we'll just have to place our bets and we'll see, which is fine.

No doubt Caufield is good at presenting himself as a shooting option, that being said, it is still relevant to point how abnormally easy it was to obtain good shooting opportunities playing along Hughes and that USDP squad. The NHL distinguishes himself especially from junior leagues in how tight defensive coverage are, how many good shooting chances will he get per game at the NHL level? This will lead to how many goals?

It's just too bad that we don't get to see him at the NCAA level before the draft. I feel like that would answer a lot of questions about him, and not necessarily in the affirmative. I think we'll know pretty quickly what the situation really is.

Not elite in everything but I believe it is the cruel way you need to look at it in order project correctly. If he was a speedster or a very good playmaker, it would make a big difference in how he projects, being a diminutive sniper makes him too one-dimensional (adding to the fact that his shot power isn't something special in NHL terms).

Yeah, Debrincat succeeded, we know the success stories. How does he compare at the same age than guys like Shinkaruk, Petan, and Bracco? Bracco, maybe Petan, might pan out to something but we aren't talking of top10 talent here. How much better is he than a player like Taylor Cammarata with 93 USHL points DY or Tyler Kelleher who lead the USDP17/18 in points? Yeah, Caufield is likely better but by how much? Someone could have argued that for Cammarata you could discount 50% of what he does in the USHL in terms of NHL projection and still succeed in the NHL, it is simply so much harder for 5'7 players game to translate from junior to the NHL. With everything I mentioned, there is no indication he is some surefire thing, that you could overlook his size deficit since his skills are so out of the ordinary that it makes him worthy to be a top10 talent.

How much do you think he scores on an average OHL first line? I am very intrigued by that.

I think he cracks 50 on a decent OHL team.

I view his size as a ''constraint.'' As in, I don't believe his chances of making the NHL would be any better if he were, say, 5'9. I look at it as ''can he do what he does at the NHL level.'' And I think that he probably can. Do you think he can't? This is a different question than having doubts about his ability to do so, which are reasonable.

I actually have much less concerns about his play translating than I do about Kaliyev's for this reason. Kaliyev needs to learn to play a different game of hockey or he just won't get minutes. Caufield needs to get a little bit faster, and stronger. He has no real flaws to his game, beyond the fact that he's tiny. He makes plays pretty well, well enough to keep the play alive, and occasionally to find an unmarked man, he skates well enough to be first to pucks, to beat dmen to dangerous areas, he can stick handle in a phone booth, and of course, he has his finishing ability to earn himself a pay cheque. Far from some jabroni riding Hughes' coat tails, tapping the puck into 40 yawning cages per year, I see a gifted goal scoring savant who can put the puck home in a variety of ways. A predator lurking in the weeds, who you'd have to take an interference penalty to reliably stop.

Reactions: ProspectsFanatic

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
If your opinion isn't done yet, watch the Q Finals and you'll see what Raphael Lavoie is all about. Would be neat to see him in the Mem Cup as well.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
What makes me a believer in Caufield is the quickness of his release, his ability to recognize soft spots in defensive coverage, his ability to seemingly always be in the right place at the right time (which suggests a very high hockey IQ), the versatility of his shot (can release it quickly and with power from almost any position, from between his feet to at near full extension), and the accuracy of his shot which allows him to get it where he wants it from nearly any angle.

Think about what a huge advantage that is, imagine someone threading the puck across to him on the powerplay. He can be virtually anywhere on his off wing, and as long as the puck is within a pretty generous range, you've likely got, at the very least, a quick shot on net.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
If your opinion isn't done yet, watch the Q Finals and you'll see what Raphael Lavoie is all about. Would be neat to see him in the Mem Cup as well.

We will. Halifax is host. I'll have a close eye on him.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I'm sticking with my first choice (15th overall) with Broberg. As I feel he brings elements in his game that our team really needs. A few of you have made some incredibly strong arguments for players like Caufield, Newhook, Heinola etc... No matter what direction the team goes in. I think we'll end up with a solid player in the 15th spot.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
unfortunately, I don't think he's a fit under Julien who's more of a "play the 'right' way or don't play" kind of coach.

That's not really true
Drouin doesn't play the 'right' way and he still was the 3rd most used forward this year (behind Danault and Domi), and he was the 2nd most used forward last year (behind Pacioretty).

His ice time dropped near the end of the season because he wasn't contributing offensively anymore.

And besides, Kaliyev is likely 2-3 years away from playing in the nhl. Julien's contract will be over by then, and our new coach might be Bouchard or Ducharme. So we shouldn't draft a player based on our current coach's taste.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad