HF Habs: So who would you like Habs to draft @ 15?

So which would you draft at 15?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Say Montreal manages to land another top 10 pick and is able to draft say....Boldy.

Would you then be comfortable with the Habs drafting one of Broberg, Heinola, Soderstrom, or Harvey at 15?

Depends who’s available. All things being equal, go with a forward with too end skill unless something silly drops down to you and you have to take them. Like with the isles last year. Unless that happens, go offensive skill. We desperately need that in the organization and don’t have nearly enough top end forward prospects. We’re pretty good on d and 2 second round picks can add even more to that D depth.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
1- Well, that is a good sign, I can't argue against that. As I said, I am playing devil advocate, I'll still have him in the first round. I know they play against some first division NCAA teams, but I also know that for the most part, they played against lower division NCAA teams, USHL teams, and national teams which are below the talent level of that team.

2- I can't deny that he was very dominant this season but for the comparison with Matthews, I believe it is self-explanatory by looking at the assists total, also playing with Hughes most of the season still surpass the support Matthews had, even if those linemates were very good for Matthews, Hughes was on another level, Hughes/Matthews seems like a more fitting comparison than Caufield/Matthews, also it isn't unusual that smaller players struggle further as they are moving to higher levels of competition. Fair point, but yeah, I don't believe it challenges too much what been previously mentioned for me, I can see how it can be valid in supplementing a positively angled train of thoughts though. Like I said, agree to disagree.

Another discussion we can have is about their shots. We agree that Caufield doesn't have ''the best release since Matthews'' which has sometimes been said of him. I would like his shot to be more powerful, but being so little and having such a little stick is not going to provide that for him. He's at a disadvantage to Kaliyev in this regard because Kaliyev can just lean into a 110 stick that's 6 inches longer and produce way harder shot.

However, I would like to challenge you on this point as well, to see your response mostly. I think it's not particularly relevant for the way that Caufield scores goals. Caufield's scoring is based on 3 things: frequency, accuracy, and quickness. He shoots an insane amount. He rarely misses the net. And he gets his shot off very quickly. His shot doesn't need to be heavy because 1.) goalies can't stop all of 'em, 2.) they have to, because he's not missing the net, even from a weird angle and 3.) they probably won't be perfectly on their angle when the shot comes.

Caufield's success, IMO, hinges on him being able to put around 300 pucks on net per year, not on how heavy his shot is.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
How many times have tou watched him?

Comparing him to Grigorenko :laugh:

A few times.... isn't worth the risk.
Remember.... many on this board were
pushing for Habs to take Grigorenko as our 3rd overall pick the year he was drafted.

Reactions: cphabs

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
I found him invisible to at the U-18...

Dorothy....does not translate well to the NHL brand of hockey.... not fast enough
or tough of enough to go to the dirty areas and come up with the puck.
Jameson Rees is a better pick....more certain of his upside....though, I would
prefer either Newhook or Caufield.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
I totally agree with Vachon... Dorothy
was pretty invisible at the U18 and Heinola performed way under expectation.... average speed and indecisive....way better choices at 15 than those two.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Back up my claim....go watch video footage of Broberg.....look how he plays both ends of the ice....he has speed, size, he fills our need for another great puck moving defenseman....
Btw....he was just named the best defenceman at the U18 tournament.
Your Heinola looked slow and indecisive....and Dorothy looked good
but not amazing like you claim him to be.... luckily you have no control of the Habs!!!

It’s not @Mrb1p that said that ..

Reactions: atrud66

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
Let some other teams take the major risk in picking Dorothy or Heinola.
So let me get this straight.

Dorofeyev who had an amazing season and did not play at the u18 = unimpressive
Heinola who had a fantastic season and a sub-par u18 = disappointing
Rees who had a solid season in a junior league but a strong u18 = very good pick

You either have not watched the euro players outside of the u18 enough or just put way too much stock in short tournaments.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
So let me get this straight.

Dorofeyev who had an amazing season and did not play at the u18 = unimpressive
Heinola who had a fantastic season and a sub-par u18 = disappointing
Rees who had a solid season in a junior league but a strong u18 = very good pick

You either have not watched the euro players outside of the u18 enough or just put way too much stock in short tournaments.

I guess we will see in a few years which of these players prove us right
or wrong...

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
I guess we will see in a few years which of these players prove us right
or wrong...
None of us are scouts but I'd like to hear what you're basing your opinions off of.

In what way is Dorofeyev like Grigorenko?

I agree that Rees has very translatable skills but how is his upside that high?

Did you watch Heinola other than the u18? You wouldn't be questioning his decision making.

Reactions: Vachon23

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
None of us are scouts but I'd like to hear what you're basing your opinions off of.

In what way is Dorofeyev like Grigorenko?

I agree that Rees has very translatable skills but how is his upside that high?

Did you watch Heinola other than the u18? You wouldn't be questioning his decision making.

As stated earlier....at the U18, Heinola showed average speed....and at times showed slow reaction times.
If he plays with men back in Finland,
he should have been more dynamic in this tournament.... Broberg showed
what he was capable of.... fast puck moving defenseman who is strong in his own zone.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
As stated earlier....at the U18, Heinola showed average speed....and at times showed slow reaction times.
If he plays with men back in Finland,
he should have been more dynamic in this tournament.... Broberg showed
what he was capable of.... fast puck moving defenseman who is strong in his own zone.
Broberg is not a puck moving defenseman. He his a big defenseman who plays a very north/south game. End to end rushes work on smaller, young players. That won't work in the NHL when he can't bulldoze through players.

Heinola played as the #1 D on a very poor Finland team this year. His IQ is his best attribute. Bad tournaments happen. Ty Smith got criticized for it last year. He followed it up with an amazing season in the WHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad