Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Lol this thread was so ****ing stupid.

db2fb7f14ad9fa73a7cf3b41ae8dd89d.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't worry about TK's scoring, he's streaky like most scorers.
What I like this year is his complete game, including getting stronger and being able to hold his own (though at times I doubt his sanity).

He was playing better than last year even when the goals weren't going in, which is the key to greatness, don't focus on points, focus on doing everything right and playing every shift like it's your last one. You can't control the points (there's a luck factor, sometimes you hit a hot goalie, sometimes the puck bounces on you), you can control how you play the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: wasup

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
One of the happiest days of my 38-year Flyer fandom was when they made the trade to draft Konecny. If only Hextall could be limited to drafts.

As some may recall, I was an all-out Barzal fiend that draft, but I also asked at the time why Konecny wasn’t in the conversation at 7 overall. That’s how much I liked Konecny.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I'm sticking with this one.
I think he can be as good as Marchand, but I'm not sure if he'll ever be a 80+ points player.
Couturier is great, but he's no Bergeron. And Marchand wouldn't be the same player without Bergeron.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think he can be as good as Marchand, but I'm not sure if he'll ever be a 80+ points player.
Couturier is great, but he's no Bergeron. And Marchand wouldn't be the same player without Bergeron.

Coots was better than Bergeron last season, but this season, Bergeron is back on top for sure.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
What I like this year is his complete game, including getting stronger and being able to hold his own (though at times I doubt his sanity).

He was playing better last year even when the goals weren't going in, which is the key to greatness, don't focus on points, focus on doing everything right and playing every shift like it's your last one. You can't control the points (there's a luck factor, sometimes you hit a hot goalie, sometimes the puck bounces on you), you can control how you play the game.

Konecny’s a playmaker as well. The Flyers have more chances when he’s on the ice. That’s why he should be getting big minutes

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Couts' slow start due to the MCL has fooled some people.
However, TK look good with Patrick as well, he's no longer being carried by his linemates the way he was last season.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

He was playing better than last year even when the goals weren't going in, which is the key to greatness, don't focus on points, focus on doing everything right and playing every shift like it's your last one. You can't control the points (there's a luck factor, sometimes you hit a hot goalie, sometimes the puck bounces on you), you can control how you play the game.

He didn't play any differently at all on an individual level when he was terribly placed on the 4th line compared to how he was playing on the 1st line, he simply had the help around him to make it count. That's why everyone here but the Hakstol Defense Corps knew he would break out if given the chance.

It's remarkable how rapidly you contoured your narrative throughout TK's career to allow you to continue defending Hakstol at all costs.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's simply not true, he played much better away from Giroux/Couts this season than he did last season.
And his "breakout" was unsustainable, 18% shooting.
(note, even Raffl scored 20 goals paired with Giroux one season)

That's why I focus on his total game, this year it's off the charts:
2.34 pp/60, CF 59.69, CFrel +12.06, xGF 54.59, xGFrel +4.38, HDCF/CA 60/46
Compare to last season
2.27 pp/60, CF 48.98, CFrel -1.24, xGF 51.23, xGFrel +0.98, HDCF/CA 172/172

TK went from a guy being carried by superior linemates, to a guy who carries whatever line you put him on.
This year he's a legitimate 1st line forward

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
That's simply not true, he played much better away from Giroux/Couts this season than he did last season.
And his "breakout" was unsustainable, 18% shooting.
(note, even Raffl scored 20 goals paired with Giroux one season)

That's why I focus on his total game, this year it's off the charts:
2.34 pp/60, CF 59.69, CFrel +12.06, xGF 54.59, xGFrel +4.38, HDCF/CA 60/46
Compare to last season
2.27 pp/60, CF 48.98, CFrel -1.24, xGF 51.23, xGFrel +0.98, HDCF/CA 172/172

TK went from a guy being carried by superior linemates, to a guy who carries whatever line you put him on.
This year he's a legitimate 1st line forward

Tbf to Raffl since he started his NHL career he has scored at low level 1st line level per 60... in fact he has scored more than any other current Flyer at 5v5 per 60.

I mean, the last 3 years away from 1st line he has paced for:

goals per 82 games... with no PP time and under 14 mins a game.

tytech

Jan 4, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
The only think wrong with TK's game is the acting. Pretending to be hurt a lot hoping to draw a power play. This type of thing is noticed by refs and they won't make a justifiable call in fear of being played.

Reactions: DaphneLion

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
In Hextalls interveiw after the firing he said he wished he had drafted more players who played with juice . He mentioned two in particular Travis Konecny and Wade Allison . Said you know you have a good player when he pisses the GM,s of other teams off , said he loves how he plays . It was an article in the Courier Post .

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
In Hextalls interveiw after the firing he said he wished he had drafted more players who played with juice . He mentioned two in particular Travis Konecny and Wade Allison . Said you know you have a good player when he pisses the GM,s of other teams off , said he loves how he plays . It was an article in the Courier Post .
He didn’t particularly say “drafted,” just that he thought the team needed more of them.

Which they do, & was my biggest complaint about Hextall. He had 4.25 years to address it & didn’t, so I don’t feel much sympathy for him. Instead, he was enamored with boring professional vets whom he knew wouldn’t ruffle feathers & would follow his micromanaging orders.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He wasn't enamored with boring professionals, he didn't want to spend assets (draft picks) and didn't have the cap room to sign good players.
That's what happens when you commit to rebuilding.

Hextall's problem came down to managing expectations, first the fans (if he had been as candid as his exit interview, he'd have bought more time) and also Holmgren (Ron, you screwed the pooch, that's why it's taking so damn long).

And of course, having all his goalies get injured.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Tbf to Raffl since he started his NHL career he has scored at low level 1st line level per 60... in fact he has scored more than any other current Flyer at 5v5 per 60.

These past few years I have grown a greater appreciation for Raffl. I think he is physically one of the more gifted flyers and provides under the radar skill at a cheap price. I am worried about how we proceed with bottom 6 players. Raffl and Laughton are the two best wingers , when they both played wing, that the flyers have ever had on the 4th line since I have been watching. I don't see a plethora of strictly bottom 6 guys in the system that i feel could do as good of a job as them, and both are free agents next year. Raffl Sadly is probably gone, and Laughton will probably get a contract from a team that wants to utilize him in a larger role.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
He wasn't enamored with boring professionals, he didn't want to spend assets (draft picks) and didn't have the cap room to sign good players.
That's what happens when you commit to rebuilding.

Hextall's problem came down to managing expectations, first the fans (if he had been as candid as his exit interview, he'd have bought more time) and also Holmgren (Ron, you screwed the pooch, that's why it's taking so damn long).

And of course, having all his goalies get injured.
So only “good” players have personalities? Nearly all of Hextall’s additions had bland, businesslike personalities. Good for keeping tabs on off-ice behavior. Bad for stirring things up on the ice.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016

Do you think Michael Raffl is a top 6 NHL forward on a legit NHL Cup contender?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad