So... Let's talk Konecny

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
How is everybody feeling about him right now? Has his development stalled or plateaued? Too early? Were unreasonable expectations placed on him?

This time last year he looked like an absolute steal. But I really don;t like his decision making on the ice and he truly is a turnover machine. Too many pizzas up the middle. Plus, he doesn't exactly dominate when he is out there.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Young player makes mistakes and can't score all on his own?

notsurprisedkirk.jpg

This is incredible. I've never seen a promising 20 year old play bad in the NHL, especially when the team around him is playing awful too.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
TK has had a lot of chances. Most generated without help of his linemates. He needs to have other skilled players with him.

His decisions in the defensive zone and neutral zone need to improve overall though.

Still a steal.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He needs to play with a good C. We saw he-Couts-Voracek score lots last year. And playing with those guys, they control the puck more.

He needs to learn how to use his speed. Today, he wants to go full speed every time....no deception. Changing speeds can cause confusion. But he is still creating chances on his own, needs to pot one to get his confidence going. But he will never be a big goalscorer....he never has been. He is a guy who can be a 20-25 goal guy and 30-35 assist guy imo.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Needs to work on accuracy, hes getting breakaways and opportunities but usually fires them high or wide.

Reactions: OriginJM

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Good young player, skates well and goes to the right areas. Most of the time it looks like is creating scoring opportunities that his linemates fail to convert on.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Because he's aiming for corners instead of chest sniping, which people on here would get mad about too.
I have no problem with him aiming for corners, i just said he needs to be more accurate.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have no problem with him aiming for corners, i just said he needs to be more accurate.
I'm just saying that you have to expect a lot to go high and wide when he's doing that. Of course I'd like him to score more, but I expect him to shoot it high and wide more often than the rest of the team who isn't trying to pick corners.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
He needs to play with a good C. We saw he-Couts-Voracek score lots last year. And playing with those guys, they control the puck more.

He needs to learn how to use his speed. Today, he wants to go full speed every time....no deception. Changing speeds can cause confusion. But he is still creating chances on his own, needs to pot one to get his confidence going. But he will never be a big goalscorer....he never has been. He is a guy who can be a 20-25 goal guy and 30-35 assist guy imo.
He really has great skills and could perform at high levels on skill alone. He can't do that in the nil and has to learn how to play the pro game. Either he is not especially receptive to coaching, the coaches aren't doing a particularly good job or we don't have the right center(anyone plays better with coots) for him to play with. I never thought he was mentally ready for the nhl but in the long run i think he will be fine as more skilled forwards and new coaching staff filter in over the next two years.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Had he scored on his partial breakaway right after Boeser scored on his, it could have been a different game. At least he is creating chances unlike a whole lot of our team.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Too early. He is struggling a little right now, but ideally young players will be surrounded by teammates that can pick up the slack during those inevitable struggles/ growing pains. The Flyers don't have that at all right now so it's magnifying his subpar stats.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Konecny is exhibit A why Hextall likes to marinate prospects.

He's not playing badly for a 3 line winger, but he's not playing up to his talent, either.

Similarly talented prospects will spend a year in the AHL in the future because in two years they'll have the kind of depth where you have to beat out Lindblom, not Lehtera, to win a starting job.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
How is everybody feeling about him right now? Has his development stalled or plateaued? Too early? Were unreasonable expectations placed on him?

This time last year he looked like an absolute steal. But I really don;t like his decision making on the ice and he truly is a turnover machine. Too many pizzas up the middle. Plus, he doesn't exactly dominate when he is out there.

I think even asking this question right now, in his second season, is profoundly absurd.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
He is individually creating a ton. But has zero support. And he's 20. Most guys his age aren't in the league.

The guy has shown he can potentially become a really good player

Yep. He is a good hockey player and he puts the other team under pressure - even if he doesn't score a ton, that loosens them up, tires them out, etc., and that helps the rest of our team.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yep. He is a good hockey player and he puts the other team under pressure - even if he doesn't score a ton, that loosens them up, tires them out, etc., and that helps the rest of our team.

There are times, quite often, where he is a one man forecheck.

Then you look to see what his mates are doing and one is off along the boards covered and the other is tied up with his stick in the air.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Nothing to date and terrible on the boards. Gud blew on him and he was almost hurt. Get rid of him since he wont be a star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad