Value of: Slava Voynov’s rights

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yep. From his wikipedia since the ESPN article is gone. "Corvo was arrested in November 2002 in Boston after he grabbed a 34-year-old woman's buttocks in a restaurant. Restaurant staff told him to leave, but Corvo returned, punched the woman and then kicked her when she fell to the ground, police said. Corvo was given a three-year suspended sentence after he pleaded guilty to assault. Corvo was also suspended for three games by the Kings."

IIRC no discipline from the league.

Yeah, but like, it wasnt his wife. and hitting a woman wasnt as immoral then.

or something.

Reactions: King Trouty

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Joe Corvo stomped a chick out at a bar and no one said a thing.

I fail to see the point and we can go on forever with this. Bobby Hull was a notorious wife beater, and he's in NHL approved commercials. Ray Rice would have played football for at least a couple of more years than he did if he cold cocked his girlfriend in a place where there weren't any cameras.

You have figured out that society and professional sports organizations are not entirely consistent when it comes to stuff like this. Woo hoo! You're one step on the way to being the world's foremost truth telling guy.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Nope, I think some of us just believe in the moral integrity of the league, but nice try!

"Moral intergity"

images

Killed a teammate due to reckless driving and admitted to drinking before the incident occurred

Doug Gilmour commited statutory rape by having sex with a 14 yearold

O'Reilly could have killed someone driving his truck into a Tim Hortons while Craig MacTavish openly killed someone while driving and received charges for vehicular homicide.

Evander Kane, Varlamov and possibly Austin Watson depending how the case goes all have track records of domestic abuse and are still in the league but their actions have been glossed over hard by the general public at this point.

This notion that Voynov would be the one bad apple in the league if he were to be re-allowed in to play is pretty disturbing when there is plenty of players and execs in the league with black marks on their character and history. Theres more players than just Voynov who dont uphold the moral integrity of the league.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
"Moral intergity"

images

Killed a teammate due to reckless driving and admitted to drinking before the incident occurred

O'Reilly could have killed someone driving his truck into a Tim Hortons while Craig MacTavish openly killed someone while driving and received charges for vehicular homicide.

Evander Kane, Varlamov and possibly Austin Watson depending how the case goes all have track records of domestic abuse and are still in the league but their actions have been glossed over hard by the general public at this point.

This notion that Voynov would be the one bad apple in the league if he were to be re-allowed in to play is pretty disturbing when there is plenty of players and execs in the league with black marks on their character and history. Theres more players than just Voynov who dont uphold the moral integrity of the league.
I agree with this, but I suppose the counter argument is that you have to start somewhere.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I agree with this, but I suppose the counter argument is that you have to start somewhere.

Right. But the counter-point would be its hard to retro-actively institute a rule like that. The NHL should have put a domestic violence piolicy in place the moment this happened - or, if were being honest - well before it. Now would be a very good time to do it, before it happens again.

But theyre going to have a hard time saying "well we want this to be a part of our policy now, and want to retroactively apply it to his case" in a NHLPA/court setting.

Reactions: King Trouty

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Auston Watson pleaded no contest to an incident that involved a verbal altercation and minimal physical contact. There was also no jail time. It isn't comparable to what Voynov did.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Right. But the counter-point would be its hard to retro-actively institute a rule like that. The NHL should have put a domestic violence piolicy in place the moment this happened - or, if were being honest - well before it. Now would be a very good time to do it, before it happens again.

But theyre going to have a hard time saying "well we want this to be a part of our policy now, and want to retroactively apply it to his case" in a NHLPA/court setting.

The bad press the NHL will get is not worth the benefit of letting Voynov play in the league again. And the PA probably won't put up much or any of a fight because there is pretty much nothing for the players to gain from fighting to get him back in the league. And even if you get past all of that, you have to find a team that wants to deal with meetoo protesters showing up to your games.

If it were Connor McDavid, the story would be different. But it's not, so that's where we are.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
"Moral intergity"

images

I'm an old fart, i won't even begin to list the players of eras gone by and their atrocities. Hell, Harold Ballard was allowed to continue owning a team....and he was a piece of shit as far as human beings go.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
The bad press the NHL will get is not worth the benefit of letting Voynov play in the league again. And the PA probably won't put up much or any of a fight because there is pretty much nothing for the players to gain from fighting to get him back in the league. And even if you get past all of that, you have to find a team that wants to deal with meetoo protesters showing up to your games.

If it were Connor McDavid, the story would be different. But it's not, so that's where we are.

The NHLPA isnt going to put up a fight for one of its members? Thats kind of the whole point of a union.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
"Moral intergity"

images

Errr, this was never proven so you shouldnt be putting it about.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
The NHLPA isnt going to put up a fight for one of its members? Thats kind of the whole point of a union.

In this instance it will not, or I doubt it will be anything more than pro forma. I'm sure when Don Fehr is in a press conference during the next CBA negotiations/lockout, he's going to love getting questions from reporters about how the fate of wife beaters fits into what the PA is seeking.

It's the same way teacher's union won't put up much of a fight if one of it's members were caught diddling a student. Don't at me on the fact that they're not the same thing. The principle is the same.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

agree. I think if he is not reinstated the NHL would face legal action.

And if the league tried putting in a rule like the I guarantee the NHLPA would want something in return. The NHL and the NHLPA have to be the most dysfunctional bodies in sport. Nothing can get passed without some give and take. It's all about posturing.

Reactions: Starat327

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I think the Oilers would be a good fit. If they could offer a 2nd or something along those lines, I see them pulling it off.

Nurse - Voynov
Klefbom - Larsson

is a pretty damn solid top 4. I like Voynov as a hockey player, but his value is obviously significantly diminished based on his serious character issues (hopefully firmly in the past).

If I was running the Kings I would not send him to the Oilers or any other division team. No need to help the teams your battling with.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
In this instance it will not, or I doubt it will be anything more than pro forma. I'm sure when Don Fehr is in a press conference during the next CBA negotiations/lockout, he's going to love getting questions from reporters about how the fate of wife beaters fits into what the PA is seeking.

It's the same way teacher's union won't put up much of a fight if one of it's members were caught diddling a student. Don't at me on the fact that they're not the same thing. The principle is the same.

Im sorry, I seriously cant take anyone seriously when they use 'dont at me'.

Just for giggles though, i did a quick google search on teachers unions defending their accused teachers:

Teachers union not backing bill nixing teacher-student sex

Parents horrified as teachers union fights for $10,000 severance for child molester

Barstool Sports

I assume you'll let yourself out.

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
agree. I think if he is not reinstated the NHL would face legal action.

And if the league tried putting in a rule like the I guarantee the NHLPA would want something in return. The NHL and the NHLPA have to be the most dysfunctional bodies in sport. Nothing can get passed without some give and take. It's all about posturing.

Agreed. I think the NHLPA will ultimately allow it because its the right thing to do. But, as you said, i think it'll ultimately on the back of something else - and allowing Voynov back in to the league might be their easy bargaining chip to push that through.

Voynov's case against the NHL, if they dont allow for reinstatement, would be pretty strong given the way the NHL has mismanaged all of their previous off-ice behavior incidents.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
If I was running the Kings I would not send him to the Oilers or any other division team. No need to help the teams your battling with.
really depends on the market. I would prefer not to send him to Edmonton as he could be a missing piece to a dangerous team, and LA is not going to get good value for him. Only divisional team I would consider is Vancouver and I do not think they are in the market.

If the leafs or any Eastern conference team wants him that would be my preference. But not alot of teams may come to the table.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Especially when it's something widely accepted and tolerated in Russia. People attempting to make light of these events (when they claim they aren't doing so) is what I find comical. People are even arguing that kicking your wife while she is down , isn't equal to nearly beating her to death. How do they know which kick to the ribs/stomach from a professional athlete would cause death? We've seen cases of people hit once in the stomach and die from internal injuries. My favourite is also when they present the argument like "you don't what happens behind closed doors" as if the situation is 50/50 in terms of probability that the force he applied to her is equated to how much she was antagonizing him.

The worst part is that they bring up things from the past to justify current policy as if "well we tolerated this is the past" so better to be consistent than a hypocrite, makes sense... Some people really need to seek professional help if that's their mentality , as I'm truly scared for the people they hold physical power over...

Drawing atbitrary lines like 'he's an athlete' is also quite comical. Your entire line of reasoning is create double standard and the defend it with made with smole screens. In case it isnt clear, Voynov's offence is also in the past. He also served time for it. When those events are brought up, they're brought up to turn your attention that you're not consistent but biased. Therefore, you might want to start and rethink your position.

Reactions: Starat327

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
would u send a 2nd and levio for slavas rights? i am curious on what you a rational leaf fan would give
Easily. In a world in which even a slight upgrade would cost Nylander...a 2nd and Leivo is like a free wallet signing. This is assuming he would be willing to play here.

I will say again, any Leafs fan that says they wouldn't sign him because of his "issues" was never a Leafs fan in the Ballard era...Rick Vaive era...Doug Gilmour era...Tiger Williams era...i could go on.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Easily. In a world in which even a slight upgrade would cost Nylander...a 2nd and Leivo is like a free wallet signing. This is assuming he would be willing to play here.

I will say again, any Leafs fan that says they wouldn't sign him because of his "issues" was never a Leafs fan in the Ballard era...Rick Vaive era...Doug Gilmour era...Tiger Williams era...i could go on.

I totally agree with what ur saying my friend. Now pretend i didnt ask that amount ( as it was a wild shot in the dark) what would you have offered I think he would make Reilly a better defense man and slide everyone down a slot on the right side which is where u need the help LOL i knew if we kept talking we could fix ur defense :P

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I totally agree with what ur saying my friend. Now pretend i didnt ask that amount ( as it was a wild shot in the dark) what would you have offered I think he would make Reilly a better defense man and slide everyone down a slot on the right side which is where u need the help LOL i knew if we kept talking we could fix ur defense :P

First paint me a scenario...is he willing to sign here? And for how much?

The answers to those questions will determine my offer.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Drawing atbitrary lines like 'he's an athlete' is also quite comical. Your entire line of reasoning is create double standard and the defend it with made with smole screens. In case it isnt clear, Voynov's offence is also in the past. He also served time for it. When those events are brought up, they're brought up to turn your attention that you're not consistent but biased. Therefore, you might want to start and rethink your position.
Absolutely not , please demonstrate how him being a professional athlete doesn't factor in? You havn't produced an ounce of evidence to refute my point. There is a reason why people with martial arts training aren't treated the same as Joe Blow fighting someone. Biological differences matter and so does his ability to overpower her , especially as a professional athlete.

Maybe you should rethink why you are trying so hard to "forgive" this person. When everything he's done until now has been steps for him to return to the NHL and sweep his issues under the rug. All the stats show that most abusers will re-offend but in this one case because you have an incentive , all of a sudden we have to sing kumbaya.

Last edited:

easton117

Nov 11, 2017

That’s kind if where I’m at.

I can see them reinstating him once visa issu es are settled.

Then no team touching him.

Isn’t that what happened to ray rice? I can’t remember now

Edit I shouldn’t say no team. There’s always one that’s desperate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad