Value of: Slava Voynov’s rights

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Maybe i just have a different view from watching him more frequently. At the time, he was a very Clear #2 or #3 at worst. I'd easily argue that if he came back playing the same level of hockey he played when he left - he'd be the leafs best RHD by a fair margin, but you know what they say about opinions..

He absolutely would be. Voynov is far superior to Zaitsev, who looked like a squirrel on skates last season. Meanwhile the Leafs are really hoping a guy they gave a 6 year deal to simply had a tough year with his health last season.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Maybe i just have a different view from watching him more frequently. At the time, he was a very Clear #2 or #3 at worst. I'd easily argue that if he came back playing the same level of hockey he played when he left - he'd be the leafs best RHD by a fair margin, but you know what they say about opinions..
it's the relative stats that concern me, it looks like he was a pretty substantial drag on his linemates (who were achieving possession dominance, so an easier context to look like a drag on linemates) for bis whole NHL career other than his rookie year

I think Petry/Tanev would also be the Leafs best RHD too, unless Zaitsev really rights the ship that won't be hard to achieve

Reactions: Starat327

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Nope, I think some of us just believe in the moral integrity of the league, but nice try!
Really? Where's the cry for all the years NHL downplayed the consequences of concussions? Its non-existent..
Mind you, his wife has an option to leave him and still collect money... She hasn't but yeah, you on the other hand should be the judge.

As for the thread, as was said, until or unless he clears all the hoops, he isnt worth. Maybe some team might try and take a chance if its cheap enough but, then it doesn't make sense for LA to do it.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
it's the relative stats that concern me, it looks like he was a pretty substantial drag on his linemates (who were achieving possession dominance, so an easier context to look like a drag on linemates) for bis whole NHL career other than his rookie year

I think Petry/Tanev would also be the Leafs best RHD too, unless Zaitsev really rights the ship that won't be hard to achieve

Fair enough. I don't 'ignore' stats by any means, but i know he played exceptionally well here when he did play. Not a move youd be interested in making, and i can certainly respect that.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Fair enough. I don't 'ignore' stats by any means, but i know he played exceptionally well here when he did play. Not a move youd be interested in making, and i can certainly respect that.
unless he showed that he was actually remorseful and was taking steps to ensure it didn't happen again. I believe in redemption if someone is genuinely sorry and wants to change, I haven't gotten the feeling that's the case with Voynov

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
unless he showed that he was actually remorseful and was taking steps to ensure it didn't happen again. I believe in redemption if someone is genuinely sorry and wants to change, I haven't gotten the feeling that's the case with Voynov

I can understand that aspect as well. I dont fault someone for not wanting to deal with whatever follows from signing him as well. I don't think id have an issue with my team doing it, but i can understand the concern as well.

Reactions: Randy Randerson

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I can understand that aspect as well. I dont fault someone for not wanting to deal with whatever follows from signing him as well. I don't think id have an issue with my team doing it, but i can understand the concern as well.
must be nice to not have to worry about finding defensemen...I'm envious of the Flyers' position there

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
must be nice to not have to worry about finding defensemen...I'm envious of the Flyers' position there

Eh, ive stated this and maintain it til this day - until they all perform at the levels we hoped, were still just living on hopes and dreams.

That being Said, Ghost and Provorov solidifying the top pair has made the issue slightly less risky - we just need 2 of Sanheim, Myers or morin to be a top 4 capable....until the expansion draft, anyway.

From a positional standpoint, I'd happily take Voynov there as well, and give Myers a more sheltered role/more AHL time.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Eh, ive stated this and maintain it til this day - until they all perform at the levels we hoped, were still just living on hopes and dreams.

That being Said, Ghost and Provorov solidifying the top pair has made the issue slightly less risky - we just need 2 of Sanheim, Myers or morin to be a top 4 capable....until the expansion draft, anyway.

From a positional standpoint, I'd happily take Voynov there as well, and give Myers a more sheltered role/more AHL time.
If someone bet me even money that the Flyers wouldn't get a solid top 4 from that group, I would bet against them in a second. I think you'll be just fine, the hardest pieces to get are the ones that are most secure already with Provorov/Ghost

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
If someone bet me even money that the Flyers wouldn't get a solid top 4 from that group, I would bet against them in a second. I think you'll be just fine, the hardest pieces to get are the ones that are most secure already with Provorov/Ghost

Im hopeful, but certainly dont want to count the chickens before they hatch. Adding an experienced RHD to go with sanheim in that Top 4 and allowing Myers some more time (he doesnt necessarily need it, i think he could play in the NHL today, just not as a 'capable' top 4), wouldnt hurt.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
If he is cleared by the league to play (I think he has already been cleared legally) then two 2nds is absolutely fair. If it weren't for the DV he would be worth more but then again if it weren't for that he would not even be available.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Im hopeful, but certainly dont want to count the chickens before they hatch. Adding an experienced RHD to go with sanheim in that Top 4 and allowing Myers some more time (he doesnt necessarily need it, i think he could play in the NHL today, just not as a 'capable' top 4), wouldnt hurt.
sure that's a good outlook, hopefully means that you can only be pleasantly surprised and not disappointed

I'm guessing Gudas is viewed as a bottom pairing guy only?

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
sure that's a good outlook, hopefully means that you can only be pleasantly surprised and not disappointed

I'm guessing Gudas is viewed as a bottom pairing guy only?

Depends. 2 years ago he looked fine as a complimentary top pairing shut down guy. This year he looked like nothing more than bottom pairing.

It largely depends on what he looks like this year. I think he's struggling to adapt to the new "whats a high hit, what isnt" penalty rules. Hes obviously a more physical defender than most, and while some of it is his own fault because he has laid some bad hits, he doesnt really get the benefit of the doubt anymore with refs. Its neutered his game a bit and he doesnt make hits now he used to, and will get beat because of that.

I dont want to completely derail the thread though- happy to discuss further in PMs if youd like.

Reactions: Randy Randerson

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Ah, the moral integrity of a league that allowed Bertuzzi to viciously assault someone on the ice on live television, suspend him a few games, and resume his career as though nothing happened, while the other player was never able to play the game again?

The same moral integrity that had Patrick Kane assault a cab driver over a cab fare?

The same moral integrity that allowed Heatley to continue playing after making a decision to drive drunk and kill another player?

Spare me your white knight stories. What Voynov did was terrible, and no one should defend that. But please dont tie the 'morality of the league' in to this at all when there the league has allowed much worse.

FWIW, Bertuzzi ultimately got more than a couple games. Officially, he only got suspended for the remaining 13 RS games and playoffs, but the following year was the lockout. While alot of his fellow players were going over to Europe playing, the IIHF said no thanks to him in their jurisdiction when they learned that he intended to do the same. His 13 games ended up being 17 months of no hockey.

But yea, after that, everything went back to business as usual like nothing happened. Bertuzzi even made the Canadian Olympic team for the Turin Olympics.

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
FWIW, Bertuzzi ultimately got more than a couple games. Officially, he only got suspended for the remaining 13 RS games and playoffs, but the following year was the lockout. While alot of his fellow players were going over to Europe playing, the IIHF said no thanks to him in their jurisdiction.

But after that, everything went back to business as usual like nothing happened. Bertuzzi even made the Canadian Olympic team for the Turin Olympics.

Correct. Well never know if the NHL would have reinstated him that following season or not.

Quite honestly, in my opinion, it's even more disgraceful that Team Canada allowed him to participate, but to each their own.

Reactions: go4hockey

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Correct. Well never know if the NHL would have reinstated him that following season or not.

Quite honestly, in my opinion, it's even more disgraceful that Team Canada allowed him to participate, but to each their own.

I've always thought the length of Burtuzzi's suspension was fine. The playoff games he missed are a big reason why the Canucks lost in round 1 of the playoffs and who knows maybe cost the Canucks a shot at their first cup. Plus I have always wondered if Moore would have been as injured if it weren't for everyone jumping on Burtuzzi's back who was on Moore. Don't get me wrong the action was gross and deserved punishment.
Everyone knew going into that game something was going to happen. Retribution was more normal then and I think only became a big deal because of the injuries sustained. No one jumps onto Burt maybe Moore is able to play again and this is not as problematic. Furthermore with Burt, he got sued by Moore and so it's not like he just served his suspension and then went on with his life. So Burtuzzi's punishment fit the crime to me, and changed the view on retribution in hockey forever.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I've always thought the length of Burtuzzi's suspension was fine. The playoff games he missed are a big reason why the Canucks lost in round 1 of the playoffs and who knows maybe cost the Canucks a shot at their first cup. Plus I have always wondered if Moore would have been as injured if it weren't for everyone jumping on Burtuzzi's back who was on Moore. Don't get me wrong the action was gross and deserved punishment.
Everyone knew going into that game something was going to happen. Retribution was more normal then and I think only became a big deal because of the injuries sustained. No one jumps onto Burt maybe Moore is able to play again and this is not as problematic. Furthermore with Burt, he got sued by Moore and so it's not like he just served his suspension and then went on with his life. So Burtuzzi's punishment fit the crime to me, and changed the view on retribution in hockey forever.

Bertuzzis incident was absolutely gross to me. Maybe Moore got 'more injured' because people jumped on top, but ya know what? No one wouldve evee jumped on top if Bertuzzi didnt attack him from behind like an absolute coward. The Canucks losing round 1 means very little to me, especially given that the Canucks management team was deemed to have put a bounty on Moore. Reap what you sow. But that's not an "additional punishment" for Bertuzzi.

Mind you, this was done on live TV in a live game. I'm not trying to say that beating your wife in private is better than attacking someone on the ice. But this was the NHL. Slava may have been an NHL player but they NHL cant control him 24/7 and can always create some distance from what he did because of that. They had no such option when Bertuzzi did what he did.

As for the case afterwards, you are correct. Moore pursued a criminal case because of it was a criminal act. Marta Varlamova is free to do the same against her attacker, if she so chooses. There is nothing that prevents her from doing so.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016

The thing that gets me most about his Olympic invite, is that Gretzky and Co. couldn't even wait a day after the NHL officially reinstated him before offering the invite.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
The best time to make a good choice was yesterday, but a poor choice yesterday doesn't mean you should make a poor choice today. I don't care what transgressions or incidents the NHL or managers have ignored in the past, the correct choice today is to not let Voynov play in the league.

Reactions: Chan790

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Bertuzzis incident was absolutely gross to me. Maybe Moore got 'more injured' because people jumped on top, but ya know what? No one wouldve evee jumped on top if Bertuzzi didnt attack him from behind like an absolute coward. The Canucks losing round 1 means very little to me, especially given that the Canucks management team was deemed to have put a bounty on Moore. Reap what you sow. But that's not an "additional punishment" for Bertuzzi.

Mind you, this was done on live TV in a live game. I'm not trying to say that beating your wife in private is better than attacking someone on the ice. But this was the NHL. Slava may have been an NHL player but they NHL cant control him 24/7 and can always create some distance from what he did because of that. They had no such option when Bertuzzi did what he did.

As for the case afterwards, you are correct. Moore pursued a criminal case because of it was a criminal act. Marta Varlamova is free to do the same against her attacker, if she so chooses. There is nothing that prevents her from doing so.

I'm a diehard Canuck fan who watched the Moore assault live on TV and was literally nauseous after it happened. The NHL dropped the ball big time by not suspending him forever given the circumstances. The Voynov incident is still nowhere near as bad especially when you factor in the fact that his wife claims that language difficulties made the incident seem worse than it was and that it was pretty obvious that the powers that be really wanted to throw the book at him even when his wife clarified/recanted. I firmly believe that if Voynov was an American he wouldn't have missed a game...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad