Value of: Slava Voynov’s rights

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
IF the Kings can trade his rights before he is re-instated, they probably wouldn't be worth more than a 5th-7th round pick to a team willing to take a gamble that he will be allowed back. If he does get reinstated, then his value would go up by a lot.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
IF the Kings can trade his rights before he is re-instated, they probably wouldn't be worth more than a 5th-7th round pick to a team willing to take a gamble that he will be allowed back. If he does get reinstated, then his value would go up by a lot.
pretty sure this is assuming reinstatement

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
His rights maybe as high as 5th rounder but if allowed to play would think 1st rounder. The guy actually fits the need of the leafs. Do not see them doing it though but if I had any say would want him on my team. The guy fits the need now and give us time to develop our own.

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I think the Oilers would be a good fit. If they could offer a 2nd or something along those lines, I see them pulling it off.

Nurse - Voynov
Klefbom - Larsson

is a pretty damn solid top 4. I like Voynov as a hockey player, but his value is obviously significantly diminished based on his serious character issues (hopefully firmly in the past).

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Lol at the ridiculous values some are throwing out. He will fetch a project prospect or a late pick in the draft. His value is little to none.
Actually he has value because he is good hockey player. Also, he is right handed shot which leafs need.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I think the Oilers would be a good fit. If they could offer a 2nd or something along those lines, I see them pulling it off.

Nurse - Voynov
Klefbom - Larsson

is a pretty damn solid top 4. I like Voynov as a hockey player, but his value is obviously significantly diminished based on his serious character issues (hopefully firmly in the past).

The Oilers would be a great fit. Look at MacTavish. He killed a woman in the USA after getting in an accident while driving drunk, and spent a year in jail. Luckily, he turned his life around. He would make a great fit on the Oilers, and why not give the guy a second chance if he is remorseful.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
The Oilers would be a great fit. Look at MacTavish. He killed a woman in the USA after getting in an accident while driving drunk, and spent a year in jail. Luckily, he turned his life around. He would make a great fit on the Oilers, and why not give the guy a second chance if he is remorseful.
I was simply speaking to his fit on the current roster, but that's an interesting point. I didn't know that story well.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I'm a diehard Canuck fan who watched the Moore assault live on TV and was literally nauseous after it happened. The NHL dropped the ball big time by not suspending him forever given the circumstances. The Voynov incident is still nowhere near as bad especially when you factor in the fact that his wife claims that language difficulties made the incident seem worse than it was and that it was pretty obvious that the powers that be really wanted to throw the book at him even when his wife clarified/recanted. I firmly believe that if Voynov was an American he wouldn't have missed a game...

I'm not sure i agree with the american/russian thing. Ray Rice hasnt played a game since he assaulted his wife/girlfriend. Now granted, he did it in public, and we were all allowed to actually see it, so it made it a tougher pill to swallow, but still. Hes an american and he cant find work. It may have been a factor in his punishment, but i dont know that it was a large one.

I'm not of the belief that he recant is 100% accurate either. I think it mostly is, but there may have been some exaggeration there as well. I was arguing vehemently in the other thread that i believe the events as they were recorded in the police report, shortly after the altercation took place, were likely embellished, and maybe not even purposely so. If you were just in a physical altercation with someone, you might still be in shock/not processing things clearly, which could subconsciously cloud your retelling of the events. It's hard to accurately portray a chaotic event just moments after it happened, which is why most police reports of public events have wildly inconsistent details from one source to another. Or, maybe she was still angry with him (they had just had a fight, after all), and embellished in order to 'get even'. Its also possible the police report is 100% accurate and she recanted because he threatened her, or she signed a prenup, or something of the like. The fact is, none of us know the truth. To presume to be able to judge the mans life given all of that seems a little irresponsible at best to me.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I reckon he'll get something close to what Hoffman received with a potential lesser contract thrown in due to contract limitations.

~5th this year
~2nd/3rd next

Given how he's played the last few years, he's probably worth a bit more but he's coming to his new team damaged and the price will be justifiably marked down.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
I'm not sure i agree with the american/russian thing. Ray Rice hasnt played a game since he assaulted his wife/girlfriend. Now granted, he did it in public, and we were all allowed to actually see it, so it made it a tougher pill to swallow, but still. Hes an american and he cant find work. It may have been a factor in his punishment, but i dont know that it was a large one.

I'm not of the belief that he recant is 100% accurate either. I think it mostly is, but there may have been some exaggeration there as well. I was arguing vehemently in the other thread that i believe the events as they were recorded in the police report, shortly after the altercation took place, were likely embellished, and maybe not even purposely so. If you were just in a physical altercation with someone, you might still be in shock/not processing things clearly, which could subconsciously cloud your retelling of the events. It's hard to accurately portray a chaotic event just moments after it happened, which is why most police reports of public events have wildly inconsistent details from one source to another. Or, maybe she was still angry with him (they had just had a fight, after all), and embellished in order to 'get even'. Its also possible the police report is 100% accurate and she recanted because he threatened her, or she signed a prenup, or something of the like. The fact is, none of us know the truth. To presume to be able to judge the mans life given all of that seems a little irresponsible at best to me.

As I said in the other thread, he’s a wealthy man who could afford a good attorney and his wife did not appear to have been completely cooperative. He also probably had a fairly good argument to make to the judge that a conviction could ruin his livelihood, since it is very difficult to be admitted into Canada if you have a felony conviction in the US. With all that, he still did jail time. He’s guilty, and he’d be well advised not to try and rationalize it.

If he’s ever reinstated, he’ll essentially be given away in a trade. Either that or LA will refuse to trade him as easy publicity points. No one is going to the mat for this guy.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
As I said in the other thread, he’s a wealthy man who could afford a good attorney and his wife did not appear to have been completely cooperative. He also probably had a fairly good argument to make to the judge that a conviction could ruin his livelihood, since it is very difficult to be admitted into Canada if you have a felony conviction in the US. With all that, he still did jail time. He’s guilty, and he’d be well advised not to try and rationalize it.

If he’s ever reinstated, he’ll essentially be given away in a trade. Either that or LA will refuse to trade him as easy publicity points. No one is going to the mat for this guy.

Voynov was able to go over to the KHL and continue to make millions of dollars, so his livelihood wasnt threatened. Certain freedoms may have been (the ability to play in the NHL due to his status at the time being one of them), but his livelihood was not. Its hard to threaten the livelihood of someone who is making millions of dollars a year.

Who said anything about rationalizing it? And technically, he isnt 'guilty' of ANYTHING anymore, in the eyes of the law, as he no longer has a criminal record.

Feel free to think no team will take a flyer on him. People said the same thing about Mike Vick. Auston Watson has still yet to be released by the Predators - wheres the outcry for his 'privilege' to be able to play in the NHL to be revoked? The only mat that will be laid down is the welcome one for some team to get a cheap top 4 RHD.

Reactions: Dog

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Heatley definitely killed a guy.

To be fair, Heatley wasn't 'legally' drunk, as his BAC was below the legal limit - though he did admit to having consumed alcohol that night. That being said, levels of impairment can certainly happen well before the BAC limit is reached. Likewise, some people arent even impaired when above the BAC limits.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Voynov was able to go over to the KHL and continue to make millions of dollars, so his livelihood wasnt threatened. Certain freedoms may have been (the ability to play in the NHL due to his status at the time being one of them), but his livelihood was not. Its hard to threaten the livelihood of someone who is making millions of dollars a year.

Who said anything about rationalizing it? And technically, he isnt 'guilty' of ANYTHING anymore, in the eyes of the law, as he no longer has a criminal record.

Feel free to think no team will take a flyer on him. People said the same thing about Mike Vick. Auston Watson has still yet to be released by the Predators - wheres the outcry for his 'privilege' to be able to play in the NHL to be revoked? The only mat that will be laid down is the welcome one for some team to get a cheap top 4 RHD.

I didn’t say no team will take a flyer on him. I said that no one is giving anything up of value for him.

His conviction was expunged, probably so he can travel to Canada. Lots of people get convictions expunged. It doesn’t mean he didn’t do what he was found guilty of doing, aggravated domestic assault which he served jail time for. He’s guilty, and relying on the expungement as evidence of anything might get you a position at Charlie Kelly’s bird law firm.

I have no idea what Auston Watson actually did. If it’s bad enough that he serves real jail time, he’s going to have issues too.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I didn’t say no team will take a flyer on him. I said that no one is giving anything up of value for him.

His conviction was expunged, probably so he can travel to Canada. Lots of people get convictions expunged. It doesn’t mean he didn’t do what he was found guilty of doing, aggravated domestic assault which he served jail time for. He’s guilty, and relying on the expungement as evidence of anything might get you a position at Charlie Kelly’s bird law firm.

I have no idea what Auston Watson actually did. If it’s bad enough that he serves real jail time, he’s going to have issues too.

That would largely depend on what the expungement actually was. There are multiple different things that can happen when your record is expunged.

The fact that you have no idea what Auston Watson actually did - he literally plead to the same plea as Slava Voynov did - is absolutely comical and just goes to show how much of a mountain is being made out of Voynov's situation for some reason.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
That would largely depend on what the expungement actually was. There are multiple different things that can happen when your record is expunged.

The fact that you have no idea what Auston Watson actually did - he literally plead to the same plea as Slava Voynov did - is absolutely comical and just goes to show how much of a mountain is being made out of Voynov's situation for some reason.

I don’t know what to tell you. You have this bizarre obsession with Slava Voynov getting back into the NHL. I don’t want him playing for my team, and there is a good chance that every team in the league will come to the same conclusion. That is because he beat the ever living shit out of his wife. She played ball on his expungement, which had everything to do with him setting the stage to possibly play in the NHL again. There is no plausible way it had anything to do with newly discovered evidence or that he didn’t do what he was sent to prison for doing.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I don’t know what to tell you. You have this bizarre obsession with Slava Voynov getting back into the NHL. I don’t want him playing for my team, and there is a good chance that every team in the league will come to the same conclusion. That is because he beat the ever living **** out of his wife. She played ball on his expungement, which had everything to do with him setting the stage to possibly play in the NHL again. There is no plausible way it had anything to do with newly discovered evidence or that he didn’t do what he was sent to prison for doing.

I dont, actually. I have an issue with people acting like human beings dont deserve second chances. I also find it fascinating that people dont want to see him back in the league because - and while im not marginalizing it in the least bit, its a very real issue in society - its the flavor/topic of the year, but there wasnt nearly this public outcry when Heatly literally killed someone. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how 'few' teams are willing to take a chance on it.

His expungement was also to do with his completion of the court mandated punishment. Martinova had nothing to do with it.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
LA already said they have zero interest in Voynov. I doubt they’re going to want to “get something” for him.

Like, I very much get that he’s a good player and an asset, blah blah blah.

It’s just not worth the PR cost.

Any organization that’s okay with linking their name to him in the news is an organization that is obviously not concerned with fans showing up to games.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
Actually he has value because he is good hockey player. Also, he is right handed shot which leafs need.

He was a good hockey player, who knows now. He is also Russian which makes him a risk and is an offender. If you want him send the Kings a 6th rnd pick and giver.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
LA already said they have zero interest in Voynov. I doubt they’re going to want to “get something” for him.

Like, I very much get that he’s a good player and an asset, blah blah blah.

It’s just not worth the PR cost.

Any organization that’s okay with linking their name to him in the news is an organization that is obviously not concerned with fans showing up to games.

Where did they say that they have zero interest ? I think ur misreading that quote from when the report first come out.that he wanted back in the nhl The kings gm said he has zero interest in commenting on him returning because it was to early in his situation as nothing had been done. In my world slava stays and Alec martinez gets traded Slava becomes our 2nd pairing rhd Its a win win It will be las pr problem and we will get full value on Martinez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad