Value of: Slava Voynov’s rights

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
True. The US legal system to blame for that. Watson got a deal and plead no contest after pushing his gf in an argument. Voynov was found guilty with no plea, after the investigation found blood in different areas of the house. The NHL suspended both until their trial were over. Watson got probation and not much else, Voynov was found guilty and got jail time and as a Russian, Voynov could have been deported if he did not leave and if that happened he likely would have been denied entrance to the US anyway. Can't play in the NHL if you legally aren't allowed to enter the US.

Watson is an American, they can't kick him out and his plea bargain probably makes it so he can still travel to Canada.

Very different situations, even if at the top level, both were arrested for roughing up their partners.

False. Voynov also entered a no contest plea, to the same exact charge as Watson.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
He's clearly not rationalizing drinking and driving. He's saying there's a huge difference between that and beating your wife drunk. I don't know a single person who hasn't at one point in time drove while legally drunk, i've done it more than once in my younger years (not a good decision at all, and to your point.. Uber makes this decision easy to avoid these days). I know of maybe 3 or 4 people personally who have put hands on their wife.

Pointing out the difference isn't trying to rationalize one or the other.

The defense of "i was drunk, i wasnt thinking clearly" isnt a valid excuse to me, or anyone, when it comes to drinking and driving (or anything, really), and thats essentially what the posted was saying. 'people dont know theyre drunk, and they dont understand their actions But beating your wife, you know those actions."

I get what the poster is saying - there isnt any intent in killing someone when you drink and drive. But its a reaction to an action, and one that can be easily controlled by simply not drinking and driving. Im not condoning either activity here, but take the emotion out of it for a second - Whats worse? Making the decision to harm your spouse, or making the decision to put everyone on the road's lives in danger?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
False. Voynov also entered a no contest plea, to the same exact charge as Watson.
Ok, the LA times said he pleaded guilty. My bad if my source was wrong. Regardless, plea deals in different jurisdictions won't have the same terms. Obviously one was seen as more severe to come with jail time, while the other got parole and anger management.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Yes and No. Watson is being suspended without pay. Voynov was suspended with pay.

Or maybe a better analogy: Watson has been penalized. Voynov was placed on paid administrative leave pending an NHL investigation.

Kings were penalized being without the player. Pay or not Voynov was suspended that season. Look at Domi this pre-season he didn't forfeit a nickle but still has this suspension on his record. I know completely different suspensions and pre-season vs regular season (which one could argue makes the Voynov suspension even more sever than Domi anyway) but point is NHL has already set standard that pay does not matter.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Ok, the LA times said he pleaded guilty. My bad if my source was wrong. Regardless, plea deals in different jurisdictions won't have the same terms. Obviously one was seen as more severe to come with jail time, while the other got parole and anger management.

Correctly (sadly). I dont think anyone is trying to trivialize what either player did, and i doubt youll find many if any, who would say they were equal crimes. But location of the crime, general political stance, etc all come in to play when determining punishment as well. I fully expect anyone who commits a crime related to any of the recent social justice agendas to be much more heavily punished in California than I would anywhere else (save maybe Oregon).

Voynov's status as a non-citizen also brought further complications, as you mentioned. He was facing deportation hearings and decided on his own to go. However, thats all been resolved now, so the only hurdle left is the NHL, and as i explained earlier in this thread, they're going to have a hell of a time justifying not letting him back, as terrible as his crime was.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Kings were penalized being without the player. Pay or not Voynov was suspended that season. Look at Domi this pre-season he didn't forfeit a nickle but still has this suspension on his record. I know completely different suspensions and pre-season vs regular season (which one could argue makes the Voynov suspension even more sever than Domi anyway) but point is NHL has already set standard that pay does not matter.

It's not about the Kings though.

And they are completely different situations in more then one way. Domi received an NHL disciplinary suspension. Voynov has yet to receive his--he chose to postpone the NHL's disciplinary process while his criminal case was ongoing.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
It's not about the Kings though.

And they are completely different situations in more then one way. Domi received an NHL disciplinary suspension. Voynov has yet to receive his--he chose to postpone the NHL's disciplinary process while his criminal case was ongoing.
Agreed. But the post I was replying to indicated that the fact Voynov was suspended with pay vs Watson was suspended without would play into the NHL's decision. I was just pointing out how that has not impacted the leagues decisions on other suspensions

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I dont think theres a single person in this thread that defended his actions. But hey, do you if you think saying that drinking and driving is an 'accident' is ok.
Drinking and driving isn't an accident, but an accident caused by a driver who was drinking or by any other means of recklessness or negligence, irrespective of the level of responsibility, is still an accident. Beating someone isn't an accident. You choose to beat someone. If you choose to crash a car, that is not an accident. Choosing to drive drunk is not an accident, but if the consequence of that is a car crash, that is an accident. These are self-apparent distinctions. They do not imply necessarily a different level of offense as that's another matter.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
If Voynov were to return then 50% of his salary should go charity to help victims of spousal abuse.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
1) What are Voynov's right worth? As much as Blake can trade them for. I don't think a 1st would be involved, but I could see a scenario where two 2nds are involved.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
While players like Todd Bertuzzi had long and full careers? What about Heatly and Kane?

So many uppity SJWs that can't get over the past on the internet

Last edited:

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Any actual updates on whats going on here? I haven't been paying any attention. This thread being occasionally bumped is practically the only thing that reminds me that he was in the NHL some time ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad