Player Discussion: Simon Holmstrom

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Holmstrom has been compared (very unfavorably) to McMichael and Tomasino around here for 4 years to the extent that drafting him over those guys was in the "major fail" category for a lot of posters. It's still early, but right now would anyone trade him even up for either of those guys? And you need to factor in Holmstrom's all around game and the fact that he has 2" and 20 lbs on both of them.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Holmstrom has been compared (very unfavorably) to McMichael and Tomasino around here for 4 years to the extent that drafting him over those guys was in the "major fail" category for a lot of posters. It's still early, but right now would anyone trade him even up for either of those guys? And you need to factor in Holmstrom's all around game and the fact that he has 2" and 20 lbs on both of them.
He was real good last game. One trait I liked about him with the top line was that he'd get rid of the puck quick. Has good awareness of who's open.

Reactions: doublechili

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
That draft is looking pretty meh. Coming out of it with NHL player is going to be a blessing.

Holmstrom’s a keeper, whether he is a top 6 mainstay is tbd.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Holmstrom is a player that the islanders kinda lacked also. He isn't a wow factor guy, he isn't going to dominate, but its clear that he holds a lot of upside in takeaways, penalty killing, and even in secondary scoring. He's the type of player I am absolutely fine with keeping on the islanders. Give him more ice time with Fasching.

Reactions: Lek

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think Holmstrom will end up being a better Bailey. What will separate him from Bailey os that he’s good at winning the board battles and he possesses a better shot. And I think he’ll do one thing Bailey never did, score 20 goals in a season.

Reactions: Osakahaus

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think Holmstrom will end up being a better Bailey. What will separate him from Bailey os that he’s good at winning the board battles and he possesses a better shot. And I think he’ll do one thing Bailey never did, score 20 goals in a season.

I think he's shiftier and might be a bit quicker too. Being insulated with some talented forwards is only going to help him too.

Reactions: The Wahligator

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
This is a good thing before anyone starts to get angry btw

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

He’s also quicker. I don’t think he’ll ever eclipse 70 pts like Bailey did (let alone 55); though they do have parallels.

I said it a year ago. He’ll carve out a career as reliable checking winger who can put up 40 or so points consistently. His stick checking is elite.

Reactions: MJF and WangMustGo

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Tied for second in goals on the team, doing terrific.
And couldn't be looking anything less like Josh Bailey in process:

- Fancy & slick with dangles - nope
- Plays the perimeter or high in the zone - nope
- Refusal to shoot - not anymore

But, yeah, like Bailey he could be a very good complimentary winger. (For all the BS, Bailey was that, starting from way back on the Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo line).

I think his strength on the puck, and on the forecheck is surprising even to him. I wouldn't be surprised if he were to pick Tomas Holmstrom style net-front PP duty.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

But, yeah, like Bailey he could be a very good complimentary winger. (For all the BS, Bailey was that, starting from way back on the Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo line).

I think his strength on the puck, and on the forecheck is surprising even to him. I wouldn't be surprised if he were to pick Tomas Holmstrom style net-front PP duty.
This is all correct, he's so strong on the puck and his stick checks, he had two takeaways in the corners against Florida last game.

Also, good credit to Bails especially on that line. Was one of my favorite lines. The Tavares, Moulson and Boyes line got the points but mostly PP, that line was the true number one line.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Tied for second in goals on the team, doing terrific.
Yeah, but if Trotz was coach, he'd have 10!

You obviously didn't watch his WJC

Strength on the puck was what stood out the most

He's now listed at 6'2" and 215

Reactions: PWJunior

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Too me Holmstrom's been vanilla. A few games is obviously not a good barometer. But, he lacks any spark or energy. Okay positioning, nothing that makes me think he'll ever score more than 7-8 goals per season. Not impressed so far.

I don't like the Frans comparison. I remember watching him in his first few games and immediately thinking he had a bright future.
How about 7-8 goals per 25 games?

Most of this board has been crapping on him since he was drafted. He'll be the new Bailey after next season, and Bones will get to recycle all of the jokes he's been using for the last 14 years.
So much for that call

• Haha
Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
We’re so starved for new blood in our forward lineup that some of these posts are getting a little ahead of themselves.

I have no idea what this kid’s going to be but he’s certainly not lighting it up. He’s defensively sound which is a plus. Maybe the offense will follow. Who knows?

9 games: 0 goals, 1 assist and a total of 4 shots playing 11+ minutes a game.

Don’t hate me. On second thought, go ahead. IDGAF.
I hate you
LOL

At this point we might be better off with Garth Gimble.
That held up well

I think Holmstrom results in Bailey getting bought out next year.
Good call on that one, basically what happened with the trade

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
To me, watching him I don't see it to be honest. I think he'll be a fringe player throughout his career that 13th forward. To me, he doesn't have the it factor. Example, when Casey came up to the isles I immediately saw something in him. To be honest, I hate to say it, I don't see it with Wally either. :(
Oops . . .

Reactions: crashthenet

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
I like how Holms is quick with the puck. Like he never gets a pass and dusts off the puck before shooting or passing. It’s on his stick and he knows right away what he’s gonna do with it.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Holmstrom is a player that the islanders kinda lacked also. He isn't a wow factor guy, he isn't going to dominate, but its clear that he holds a lot of upside in takeaways, penalty killing, and even in secondary scoring. He's the type of player I am absolutely fine with keeping on the islanders. Give him more ice time with Fasching.
at his worst, he's going to be an effective bottom six player who can chip in offense. He's got speed/smarts to be good on the forecheck, pressure puck carriers or defensemen.

In a top six role he's going to be judged by offensive numbers and I don't think he's got 30G-60pt potential. Doesn't seem to have that vision, hockey sense.

Could he be a Hyman-type who complements high-end offensive players, puck retrieval, cycling, etc. - I think so.

I just see a solid NHL player who is not a boom or bust type. His downside is a good NHL player.

Reactions: Molo and Osakahaus

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
at his worst, he's going to be an effective bottom six player who can chip in offense. He's got speed/smarts to be good on the forecheck, pressure puck carriers or defensemen.

In a top six role he's going to be judged by offensive numbers and I don't think he's got 30G-60pt potential. Doesn't seem to have that vision, hockey sense.

Could he be a Hyman-type who complements high-end offensive players, puck retrieval, cycling, etc. - I think so.

I just see a solid NHL player who is not a boom or bust type. His downside is a good NHL player.
He's really going to be someone who will be like Faska. I like that comparison for him since he's an overall solid enough player for the isles.

Reactions: redbull

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
You obviously need a hobby. Do you classify and file everyone's posts for the year so you can gotcha people?
Just Holmstrom, since I was likely his biggest supporter here for the past 3 years.

And frankly, the snotty responses here have gone off the deep end at me at times . . . sometimes you need to let off steam.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad