Player Discussion: Simon Holmstrom

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
interesting that Aho's in that picture considering he's full-time with the isles now .

maybe Lou sent him to help Simon pack up the rest of his B'port apartment belongings to move to LI

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
interesting that Aho's in that picture considering he's full-time with the isles now .

maybe Lou sent him to help Simon pack up the rest of his B'port apartment belongings to move to LI
Maybe that’s an old picture

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Be kind to the people you meet on your way up because you're gonna meet them again on your way down
In the Don Rickels Dean Martin Roast, Bob Newhart said Don told him "you meet different people on the way down and to hell with them . . . "

They were best friends and I'd love to be a fly on the wall as they had a few drinks

Reactions: Mike C

Ghost of Arbour

Dec 23, 2022
I live here, I know

Dolphins medical staff will have a lot to answer for, AGAIN

I have to give my Dolphin fan son crap
No other way to put it, but the NFL, the MD medical staff, and the MD coaches are literally killing the guy. He should have been sat for the season earlier in the year when he had a spate of concussions. He probably didn't know what planet he was on in the 4th qtr this past game.

Question: why isn't Bennett getting a hearing with the league for that egregious knee-targeted hit?

I like that two of our young forwards in Raty and Holmstrom are already 200 foot players. They came up that way, definitely a positive for their learning curve
Maybe they can teach that concept to Barzal, probably too late to do so with Bailey and Nelson.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Sometimes the experts get it right . . . from EliteProspects.com for Holmstrom before his draft

An offensively skilled player who competes hard. Holmström is a good skater and stands out with really good hands and impressive puckhandling skills. Quite shifty and a player that can do the unexpected offensively. Has a good wrister and his two-way game is underrated. Great character and team player. (EP 2019)

Father: Jonas Holmström

He is trusted to be on the ice in all situations and he is just as good on the box play as he is on the powerplay, Hockeyprospect.com 2019

He has elite acceleration and top speed and he can handle the puck and stickhandle his way through traffic while maintaining high speed, Future Considerations 2019

With the puck on his stick, he can be dazzling, whether deking past defenders, or fooling them with passes from the behind the net, McKeen's Hockey 2019

A deft skater with some explosiveness to his game.. has remarkable passing ability and likes to set up teammates from below the goal line, Draftin Europe 2018

Reactions: Strummergas

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Sometimes the experts get it right . . . from EliteProspects.com for Holmstrom before his draft

An offensively skilled player who competes hard. Holmström is a good skater and stands out with really good hands and impressive puckhandling skills. Quite shifty and a player that can do the unexpected offensively. Has a good wrister and his two-way game is underrated. Great character and team player. (EP 2019)

Father: Jonas Holmström

He is trusted to be on the ice in all situations and he is just as good on the box play as he is on the powerplay, Hockeyprospect.com 2019

He has elite acceleration and top speed and he can handle the puck and stickhandle his way through traffic while maintaining high speed, Future Considerations 2019

With the puck on his stick, he can be dazzling, whether deking past defenders, or fooling them with passes from the behind the net, McKeen's Hockey 2019

A deft skater with some explosiveness to his game.. has remarkable passing ability and likes to set up teammates from below the goal line, Draftin Europe 2018
The bolded is coming to fruition.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
How has he been lately?
I am typically one who will not put outlandish pressures on a 21 yr old who is in the NHL no matter where he is drafted. That said, I will admit the same things said in the past about Holmstrom ring true. He needs to get stronger. He shows he has the ability to make smart plays, he can skate, he can play a 2-way game but if what we see this year is what we get it will not be a good thing long term.
I truly believe that if he gets stronger he will get better but right now he is not adding much and the Islanders don’t have a better option to replace him.

I will chalk it up as a learning season and expect he will have trouble making this team out of camp next season unless he shows an element of his game that convinces folks he belongs here.

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I am typically one who will not put outlandish pressures on a 21 yr old who is in the NHL no matter where he is drafted. That said, I will admit the same things said in the past about Holmstrom ring true. He needs to get stronger. He shows he has the ability to make smart plays, he can skate, he can play a 2-way game but if what we see this year is what we get it will not be a good thing long term.
I truly believe that if he gets stronger he will get better but right now he is not adding much and the Islanders don’t have a better option to replace him.

I will chalk it up as a learning season and expect he will have trouble making this team out of camp next season unless he shows an element of his game that convinces folks he belongs here.
I agree. Not too sure what we've got in him. There's no clear end in site on what his ceiling. Just gotta wait and see if he's got the drive to be what he can, as the skill is there. Sucks to sit through another " is he gonna be good" type prospect, but that's what you get more often than not.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Why is this not a good thing? For years Josh Bailey made a living off playing like this.

We can certainly spare a roster spot for a player like Simon Holmstrom, even if this is as good as he gets. But I see a kid who has an above average shot once he gets into a scoring position. For next season Holmstrom must work on taking that shot from the hash marks, in. He isn't getting there nearly enough now, and like in San Jose, when he got into that area he deferred to Bo Horvat to shoot. Be patient with Holmstrom. I think there's a 60 point player in there.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Why is this not a good thing? For years Josh Bailey made a living off playing like this.

We can certainly spare a roster spot for a player like Simon Holmstrom, even if this is as good as he gets. But I see a kid who has an above average shot once he gets into a scoring position. For next season Holmstrom must work on taking that shot from the hash marks, in. He isn't getting there nearly enough now, and like in San Jose, when he got into that area he deferred to Bo Horvat to shoot. Be patient with Holmstrom. I think there's a 60 point player in there.
Because Bailey had a stretch 56,71,56,43 points
I do not know if Holmstrom can pull that off or come even close.
I hope he can but he needs to get much much stronger and better than he is now.
I am rooting for him but…..

SI

Feb 16, 2013
How has he been lately?
I believe he has played well and really making a case to be a regular in this lineup in the top 9. Love his skill and skating - crafty guy with a long reach, who has been more confident on the forecheck too. Overall, he might not put up big numbers but a strong 2 way player, who can kill penalties and contribute solidly at EV strength. I see Lehkonen type player in him.

Reactions: Seph

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
How has he been lately?

I haven't been watching him with thoughts of what he can do for this team now. He's arguably contributing very little pointwise and is one of the more interchangeable parts.

But I've been seeing a lot of little things that have me terribly excited about what he'll be doing down the road.

Some players just "get it" and I think we're currently seeing a young man who will "get it" to the point of being an impact top 6 forward who you'll want on the ice when the going gets tough and there are leads to hold.

Clearly, the coaching staff already trusts him enough to play all up and down the RW side. He's made a few blunders along the way. Indeed. Alas, he's now spent more time in the NHL at his current age than any of Nelson, Lee, or (Frans) Nielsen had when they were his age.

I'm thinking he's going to be very good by the time he's 24/25, and admittedly in all three zones.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
To me, watching him I don't see it to be honest. I think he'll be a fringe player throughout his career that 13th forward. To me, he doesn't have the it factor. Example, when Casey came up to the isles I immediately saw something in him. To be honest, I hate to say it, I don't see it with Wally either. :(

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I haven't been watching him with thoughts of what he can do for this team now. He's arguably contributing very little pointwise and is one of the more interchangeable parts.

But I've been seeing a lot of little things that have me terribly excited about what he'll be doing down the road.

Some players just "get it" and I think we're currently seeing a young man who will "get it" to the point of being an impact top 6 forward who you'll want on the ice when the going gets tough and there are leads to hold.

Clearly, the coaching staff already trusts him enough to play all up and down the RW side. He's made a few blunders along the way. Indeed. Alas, he's now spent more time in the NHL at his current age than any of Nelson, Lee, or (Frans) Nielsen had when they were his age.

I'm thinking he's going to be very good by the time he's 24/25, and admittedly in all three zones.
I've been as big a supporter as he has here. His board work at this age is unusually good.

To me, watching him I don't see it to be honest. I think he'll be a fringe player throughout his career that 13th forward. To me, he doesn't have the it factor. Example, when Casey came up to the isles I immediately saw something in him. To be honest, I hate to say it, I don't see it with Wally either. :(
Let's hope you are the new Steve Serby . . . :laugh:

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I've been as big a supporter as he has here. His board work at this age is unusually good.

Let's hope you are the new Steve Serby . . . :laugh:
This right here. @Eye of Ra, I know you are a Swedish hockey fan, but I don’t know how far back you go? I see shades of Ulf Dahlen with Holmstrom’s board work. Still needs to get his full man strength though.

Holmstrom if he remains healthy, will have a long career as a bottom six defensive player at minimum. Maybe his offense comes around and he becomes more, but if not he will still be a player.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Holmstrom is getting good experience, and may have a decent future but from what I saw on the ice vs Toronto and previous games, he is not there yet and I do not want to him on the ice in a critical situation should we make the playoffs. . Once Barzal comes back I fully expect/hope Holmstrom to be the next to sit, so it may be a non-issue if we do get there and are healthy.

I had a conversation about him pre-game vs the Leaf's, so we specifically watched him when he was on the ice. Looking at the whole ice, I am not as positive as others are at this stage (I am optimistic long term to be clear but not as a rookie)

The positive:

- Yes he scored a gritty goal and had 2 good offensive shifts showing skill and hustle during our push.

The negative:
- Jumping the zone. It stood out like a sore thumb to my friend and I , that on numerous occasions when our D finally got possession in our own zone and were being pressured, rather than holding his ground and providing support , he immediately left the zone. You can't do that. This led to 2 specific turnovers while the game was close when the D-man's clearing attempt was cut off right where Holmstrom had vacated the zone. He does this often, he is young, so hopefully will improve. I hope/expect the coaches are pointing this out when he is doing game review.
- Relative to our other forwards, he gave up way too much space in our D-zone and was not active enough in the passing lanes, which contributed to the Leafs having extended time in our zone during multiple shifts.
- That goal was his first point in 10 games, during which he is back up to -1 playing with a number of opportunities on the top line. Luckily, others are picking up the slack. That is not acceptable for a team in a playoff stretch.

We are on a roll, and Lane seems to have confidence in him, which could bode well for him in the long run. but I am hopeful, that if we make the playoffs, as a rookie he is not on the ice for critical moments. Unless something kicks in over the next few games, I don't think he is ready for crunch time. Next year maybe a different story. I hope it does not matter once Barzal gets back. Either way I would agree he is good depth for this year as a 13th/14th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad