Player Discussion: Simon Holmstrom

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
I dont see Clutter or Martin sticking if they found decent guys in Gauthier and Fasching. Isles do know when to cut bait, and IMHO they've done it right for the most part.

I will even include Eberle in this because the guy is back to being inconsistent.
This! Gauthier and Fasching (along with Holmstrom) bridge the skating gap between the Isles and good skating teams. Clutter's kind of painful to watch now. He was a good crafty skater before and now it's like watching him in slow motion. I ean he's not THAT slow but compared to what he ued to be he's a shell of himself. And Martin? Fuhget about it!

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Holmstrom looks taller and rangier than last year even. Is he possibly still growing?

I remember Mats Sundin was 6’2” when drafted, topped out at around 6’5” by the time he was done.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Kid has turned into one of the bigger steals of his draft class. Keep rolling with the solid play.

TMI

Dec 15, 2019
When he's 25, I'll remind you of this . . .
Was j/k after his 0 Apples start.. I'm as impressed as everyone else, he has the potential to be an unexpected X-factor this year, and a huge core piece moving forward if his recent play is an accurate sign of his actual potential.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Was j/k after his 0 Apples start.. I'm as impressed as everyone else, he has the potential to be an unexpected X-factor this year, and a huge core piece moving forward if his recent play is an accurate sign of his actual potential.
He's got more to come. 6'2" 215lbs and he doesn't turn 23 until May!

He's only taken 55 shot attempts and 29 on goal, and that will only trend up since he's the finisher on that 3rd line. If Parise takes Gauthier's spot, his assists will go up in all likelihood too. Palmieri has 65 SOG's on 114 attempts and Horvat is 87 for 142 as comparisons.

I have to say I'm struggling to come up with a comparable player since he's so well rounded.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
What's the ceiling on this kid? Doing alot of good things out there. Nice pick Lou.
I can’t speak for anyone else. Pretty early on his first NHL games, I was already sold that he was a definite NHL player with a lengthy career as a bottom sixer at minimum.

Lately his ceiling has been trending upwards.

But the quickness of hands he showed n those goals last night… really opens up that ceiling even more.

He already displays solid two way tendencies… now throw in what looked like elite hand speed. I don’t think using elite for that one aspect of his game is overreaching either.

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Props to the scouting department. They nailed this one. I remember he was fairly well thought of in the years coming into the draft and then was hurt his draft year? Could be misremembering, but I do remember him being a name no one expected to hear be called around when we picked.

Keep it up kid!

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
He's got more to come. 6'2" 215lbs and he doesn't turn 23 until May!

He's only taken 55 shot attempts and 29 on goal, and that will only trend up since he's the finisher on that 3rd line. If Parise takes Gauthier's spot, his assists will go up in all likelihood too. Palmieri has 65 SOG's on 114 attempts and Horvat is 87 for 142 as comparisons.

I have to say I'm struggling to come up with a comparable player since he's so well rounded.

Disclaimer: I am NOT saying he will be any where near this player or his accomplishments.

But if looking for a comparably sized, two-way player with a high skill level…

Marian Hossa

Again, a whole lot of things would have to go right to reach that level. But when thinking of a skilled, sized two-way player without toughness… I’m often reminded of Hossa.

Reactions: Barzaltrick

Arsenalogist24

Dec 10, 2013
I can’t get enough of that shootout goal and he was 0/3 before he pulled that!

Need Barzy Bo and the rest to learn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad