Player Discussion: Simon Holmstrom

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Early Frans Nielsen, bit taller but winger vs. center. Smart player, good vision/passer, seems like he's an NHL player to be honest. Sometimes you can tell right away but early to say whether he's a top six or not. He looks like a really young 21 year old vs. the guy who's got a full beard at 15 - so I don't think he's a rush to the NHL player.

I feel I haven't seen enough to project with ANY confidence.

I thought Frans Nielsen always looked like an NHL player even with unimpressive stats, terrible shot, used to get destroyed with huge hits early in his career (but seemed to just get back up like nothing happened). Holmstrom kinda reminds me of that type of pass-first, good not great offense, more of a complementary top six winger.

He could also top-out as an Otto Koivula or Michael Dal Colle

Reactions: 13th Floor

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Early Frans Nielsen, bit taller but winger vs. center. Smart player, good vision/passer, seems like he's an NHL player to be honest. Sometimes you can tell right away but early to say whether he's a top six or not. He looks like a really young 21 year old vs. the guy who's got a full beard at 15 - so I don't think he's a rush to the NHL player.

I feel I haven't seen enough to project with ANY confidence.

I thought Frans Nielsen always looked like an NHL player even with unimpressive stats, terrible shot, used to get destroyed with huge hits early in his career (but seemed to just get back up like nothing happened). Holmstrom kinda reminds me of that type of pass-first, good not great offense, more of a complementary top six winger.

He could also top-out as an Otto Koivula or Michael Dal Colle

I like him and think there's a promising trajectory but not a very high ceiling. The fact that he doesn't look out of place in his few games is good. He has decent hands, but not sure he has the Danish backhand of justice hands. My way too early prediction (which means garbage, both because it's way too early and because it's my opinion), is he'll be a solid middle 6er, but the point totals will only come if he's smart enough to have the game slow down for him.

Reactions: danteipp

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Too me Holmstrom's been vanilla. A few games is obviously not a good barometer. But, he lacks any spark or energy. Okay positioning, nothing that makes me think he'll ever score more than 7-8 goals per season. Not impressed so far.

I don't like the Frans comparison. I remember watching him in his first few games and immediately thinking he had a bright future.

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
Too me Holmstrom's been vanilla. A few games is obviously not a good barometer. But, he lacks any spark or energy. Okay positioning, nothing that makes me think he'll ever score more than 7-8 goals per season. Not impressed so far.

I don't like the Frans comparison. I remember watching him in his first few games and immediately thinking he had a bright future.
Frans has always been an excellent skater. Holmstrom isn’t bad, but I would say his skating is more average. Unfortunately, average is how I feel about much of Holmstrom’s skills.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Historically the Isles have inserted their young players on the third or fourth lines. I’m somewhat surprised they’ve given Holmstrom a shot to play on the top line. A 3 game sample is of course next to nothing but he certainly doesn’t look like he’ll be anything more than a middle six player, if that.

I guess the top line is the place he slotted in best or is he being showcased for an upcoming deal?

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I like him and think there's a promising trajectory but not a very high ceiling. The fact that he doesn't look out of place in his few games is good. He has decent hands, but not sure he has the Danish backhand of justice hands. My way too early prediction (which means garbage, both because it's way too early and because it's my opinion), is he'll be a solid middle 6er, but the point totals will only come if he's smart enough to have the game slow down for him.
"backhand of justice" - GOLD

Frans really became a solid player but we forget it took a while. It wasn't until he was 23-24 where he became a regular forward and I'd say his biggest asset was his brain, and wheels.

I hate comparisons as well.

For every young player you need to manage "he's still young" and when to cut bait. It's a complex formula since it depends on your cap, your alternatives, what other prospects you have in the 50 contracts, what's the trade market (always dry in this NHL) - so you're too patient with some and impatient with others.

Bellows looks just as bad on Philly as he did on the Islanders. For every Frans Nielsen there's dozens of Dal Colles, Ho-Sangs

I wouldn't read too much into the first few games one way or another. I was most surprised how he fit-in, didn't look out of place, even with good players. But whether he'll ever land a full-time role on the Islanders?

I just looked it up - he doesn't have a shot on goal in 40min of ice-time so it's a wait-and-see for sure.

Reactions: 13th Floor

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Historically the Isles have inserted their young players on the third or fourth lines. I’m somewhat surprised they’ve given Holmstrom a shot to play on the top line. A 3 game sample is of course next to nothing but he certainly doesn’t look like he’ll be anything more than a middle six player, if that.

I guess the top line is the place he slotted in best or is he being showcased for an upcoming deal?
At the point Holmstrom was called up we were hosting the Oilers. Lambert was sheltering him from McDavid. Since Pageau drew that assignment, the best spot for Holmstrom was with Barzal. Skating with Barzal is not an easy night either as he can be tough for his linemates to read. But in the first 2 games together I think Holmstrom and Barzal looked fine. If one of our injured forwards comes back Friday maybe Lambert would try Holmstrom with Pageau or with Nelson.

Reactions: redbull

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Haven't minded his game, he'll bottom out as a third liner. Not sure he'll be more than a second line 50 point guy.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Lord, I'm amazed at how many here are already judging what he's going to be.

He has three traits that are the reason he's being tried with MB and Wally. He protects the puck well, he is strong at puck battles along the boards, and he passes well. We'll see how his shot looks but I remember his goal in the exhibition game was a snipe. He also already has a grip on the defensive zone.

Don't be surprised if that line stays together for a while. Holmstrom is going to play the third fiddle on that line because Wally will be looking for the space in the middle. Think of Holmstrom as that forward in soccer who can hold the ball and distribute. He's going to get plenty of hockey assists as the first passer.

Meanwhile, Bailey is playing himself out of a spot because he isn't skating/working consistently, and Lane is getting fed up with it. At $5 million Bailey is producing just like Holmstrom will for 1/5th the money.

-----

New York Islanders head coach Lane Lambert shared following Monday’s practice that Holmstrom’s intelligence was the biggest standout through three games.

“His intelligence. I think he’s got a real innate ability to read things, whether it be body positioning, stick positioning, how to engage in battles in order to win the puck, and I’ve really enjoyed watching, seeing that,” Lambert said.

Lambert, who has been with New York as an assistant since 2018 before his first head coaching gig this season, has seen Holmstrom since the beginning through development camps, to training camps, and preseason play. He’s seen growth.

“He’s done a great job,” Lambert said. “He’s been brought along the right way. And he’s grown in Bridgeport, and you know, he’s here now, so he’s done a good job.”

Following Holmstrom’s first NHL game, NYI Hockey Now asked Lambert what he had seen from Holmstrom and why he was the one that got the call-up.

“Well, I think we’re seeing just more of what we’re seeing now,” Lambert said. “And again, I know I keep saying, and I sound like a broken record, but his intelligence, it’s high, and he’s putting himself in the right position to not only make plays offensively, but makes plays defensively, was what we were seeing [in Bridgeport]. And I think we’re seeing more of that here.”

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
The Kid Looks Solid to me. When the game slows down for him, I think his positioning will improve. Seems like he has a cool head and does not 'Spaz" like so many do when they get called up to the big club....

crasherino

May 9, 2013
He doesn't seem out of place so far which is a good thing in my mind. He had a nice chip up the boards for his first point (I think he got a point for it) and seems like he's playing a cautious/conservative game - not wanting to do too much or be out of position. That's ok for a first go round.

I don't think we can really make any great predictions on the hi or low side based on what we've seen. But so far, he's been fine enough.

Reactions: MJF

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Haven't minded his game, he'll bottom out as a third liner. Not sure he'll be more than a second line 50 point guy.
For a late 1st rounder, a second line 50 point guy would pretty damn good (like that Brock Nelson guy).

Outside of the top 5 (top 10 in certain years), getting solid contribution from your first rounders is how you become a consistent contender.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
He does a lot of the little things well that don't show up on the score sheet. I am not sure the Barzal line is going to work with him and Wally but we are going to give it a try. Worst case is that he is a defensively responsible forward that has some offensive upside. Small sample size though. He hasn't looked out of place and he isn't hurting us.

Reactions: BillD and Mike C

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The first time I saw Gretzky play I didn't get what all the hubbub was about. :rolleyes:

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Honestly, the biggest surprise for me about Holstrom so far is that his name is pronounced Simon, as in Simon Says - the typical American pronunciation.

I just assumed all these years it was See-moan or something like that to the point that I don't really know who the announcers are talking about when they say his name.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00