Player Discussion: Simon Holmstrom

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Let’s say he scores the 25 he’s on pace for this season. What’s his next contract look like?
Probably 2 year bridge, then he gets his long-term contract
Lou's really good at minimizing the second contract of the kids.
We'll know how well the cap goes two years from now, next year we know the raise, but with all the broadcast money soaring among soorts, the NHL will market globally in an agressive manner
The Cap could jump a big number in 2025-6. And Lou is paying attention to league negotiations.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Props to the scouting department. They nailed this one. I remember he was fairly well thought of in the years coming into the draft and then was hurt his draft year? Could be misremembering, but I do remember him being a name no one expected to hear be called around when we picked.

Keep it up kid!
Hurt during his draft year with HV71 iirc

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
He’s really growing on me. If he can keep ramping up the skill, he may turn into a second liner.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Probably 2 year bridge, then he gets his long-term contract
Lou's really good at minimizing the second contract of the kids.
We'll know how well the cap goes two years from now, next year we know the raise, but with all the broadcast money soaring among soorts, the NHL will market globally in an agressive manner
The Cap could jump a big number in 2025-6. And Lou is paying attention to league negotiations.
Yeah, I figured something like 2x 2.25. Probably means Martin, Clutterbuck, Aho and Wahlstrom are all goners unless Clutter comes back at league min.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Holmstrom getting anger from some fans because he can be decent is a weird flex from this fanbase

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Props to the scouting department. They nailed this one. I remember he was fairly well thought of in the years coming into the draft and then was hurt his draft year? Could be misremembering, but I do remember him being a name no one expected to hear be called around when we picked.

Keep it up kid!

It was considered a reach on draft day, but I do remember something about Holmstrom being the top Swedish forward available if it wasn't for the injury. I think he was ranked in the 40's.

Reactions: Osakahaus

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
It was considered a reach on draft day, but I do remember something about Holmstrom being the top Swedish forward available if it wasn't for the injury. I think he was ranked in the 40's.

McKenzie said one team had him at #15 and it wasn't the Islanders
That team was pretty smart

Reactions: PWJunior

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I have been very impressed with Holmstrom thus far. For how young he is I am surprised at how well he uses his larger frame. This guy is going to have a nice career ahead of him. I am unsure if he is going to be a middle six guy or top six forward but he has potential.

Not doing this to toot my own horn but I still think this is the case with Holmstrom. This is something Wahlstrom still does not know how to do. Now we are beginning to see Holmstrom use his outright talent to score goals. I am hoping as time goes on we start to see him score goals from a more typical cycle where he can really use his body for positioning away from the puck.

Safe to say as of now it looks like the Isles development of Holmstrom was perfect as well. Getting him over the America was a smart move in hindsight.

TMI

Dec 15, 2019
Can't discount nor ignore the chemistry he has with JGP too.. Are all his shorties assisted by JG? They are incredible together. As soon as you see them break out you're like, OH MAN HERE WE GO!!!

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
McKenzie said one team had him at #15 and it wasn't the Islanders
That team was pretty smart
I want to assume its someone really swedish focused, so probably Arizona or...Edmonton? Doubt it was going to be Philly, I think the Panthers were always taking Knight, and Minny was taking Boldy.

Always fun checking back on these draft night videos. Good time capsules as well. Holmstrom is basically Vrana but with better work ethic. Wish we saw him with Trotz because I really think he would've been to about 15 goals already haha.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
1703076993930.png

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Can't discount nor ignore the chemistry he has with JGP too.. Are all his shorties assisted by JG? They are incredible together. As soon as you see them break out you're like, OH MAN HERE WE GO!!!
Yeah, jgp has been the force behind several of them. Last night holmstrom's strong play started the whole thing.

It is starting to make sense that he's a LHS RW, and NYI should try to get him into that spot at ES to maximize him. Gauthier is not the answer.

Reactions: MJF

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
it's like I'm waiting for this Cinderella story to end. He never put up big numbers wherever he played then you just notice this gangly fairly big and pretty darn skilled young kid just making plays and hounding the puck all game who is in the right position most of the time. He was either coached very well or is getting super lucky. I like to think he was coached well, and our scouts nailed it.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Yeah, jgp has been the force behind several of them. Last night holmstrom's strong play started the whole thing.

It is starting to make sense that he's a LHS RW, and NYI should try to get him into that spot at ES to maximize him. Gauthier is not the answer.
Parise comes in and SHSH goes to the opposite wing

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
it's like I'm waiting for this Cinderella story to end. He never put up big numbers wherever he played then you just notice this gangly fairly big and pretty darn skilled young kid just making plays and hounding the puck all game who is in the right position most of the time. He was either coached very well or is getting super lucky. I like to think he was coached well, and our scouts nailed it.
he was a point per game player in the junior swede league for 2 seasons (HV71)including his draft year in which he was injured .

if his potential tops off as a two way skilled middle 6'er that puts up 40-45 points a year while being a lethal penalty killer / effective shootout option thats not too shabby

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's got some tools, and can be a useful reliable player. Rpy having him on the ice in the last min says something. But saw him lose too many puck battles tonight. Not giving up on him, he needs to up his compete and will, winning puck battles is a battle of wills.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
He needs to develop his strength around that lanky frame. He’s got underrated speed, hands, IQ, and shot. His defensive stick work is an art.

He’s still developing. Good pick in the late first round. I’m definitely a fan.
yes, agree, needs to put some meat on the bones still but enjoy watching him hound pucks and play sneaky offense too

Reactions: BelovedIsles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad