Player Discussion: Simon Holmstrom

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
This right here. @Eye of Ra, I know you are a Swedish hockey fan, but I don’t know how far back you go? I see shades of Ulf Dahlen with Holmstrom’s board work. Still needs to get his full man strength though.

Holmstrom if he remains healthy, will have a long career as a bottom six defensive player at minimum. Maybe his offense comes around and he becomes more, but if not he will still be a player.
Yeah i know about Ulf Dahlen . he was a great player. i would be suprised if Holmström ever become as good as him.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Still like how Holmstrom knows how to use his big frame better than a lot of young players. It would be wonderful if he can add a tad more speed as I think that will help him get in scoring positions more. I think the debate now is while I love how Holmstrom plays the game what exactly is going to take him from a 35 point player to a 50-60 point player?

I am hoping the answer is just experience. While he had two points in his last game he also has 6 points in 43 games this season. He is a NHL player, he has potential to be a top six forward, but he has to produce scoring wise if he wants to be that level of player.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Still like how Holmstrom knows how to use his big frame better than a lot of young players. It would be wonderful if he can add a tad more speed as I think that will help him get in scoring positions more. I think the debate now is while I love how Holmstrom plays the game what exactly is going to take him from a 35 point player to a 50-60 point player?

I am hoping the answer is just experience. While he had two points in his last game he also has 6 points in 43 games this season. He is a NHL player, he has potential to be a top six forward, but he has to produce scoring wise if he wants to be that level of player.
I think Holmstrom concentrated on the defensive end of the game this season. Probably didn’t want to be responsible for a goal against costing us a game. Things like that can get a rookie in the dog house. In time we’ve started to see Holmstrom get closer to the net in the offensive end. He probably didn’t want to commit to going below the hash marks and not being able to get back fast enough. Maybe you don’t score much this way but you don’t get burned on an odd man rush the other way.

Lately I’m noticing Holmstrom getting below the hash marks on offensive chances so hopefully he’s getting more comfortable about his place on the team. Next year I hope he becomes more comfortable taking shots that he’s currently passing on to set up a linemate.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I think Holmstrom concentrated on the defensive end of the game this season. Probably didn’t want to be responsible for a goal against costing us a game. Things like that can get a rookie in the dog house. In time we’ve started to see Holmstrom get closer to the net in the offensive end. He probably didn’t want to commit to going below the hash marks and not being able to get back fast enough. Maybe you don’t score much this way but you don’t get burned on an odd man rush the other way.

Lately I’m noticing Holmstrom getting below the hash marks on offensive chances so hopefully he’s getting more comfortable about his place on the team. Next year I hope he becomes more comfortable taking shots that he’s currently passing on to set up a linemate.

Similar to how we praise a defenseman for "not being noticeable" - aka not making any glaring mistakes, making the smart play, and overall just being solid - it appears that is how Lambert / Holmes is treating this year for his development.

In my opinion, if you're not a McDavid / Eichel / Stutzle offensive talent right out of the gates, this is the best way to progress as a 1st rounder. He was selected in the first round because of the talent inside, not his complete game. Let's get it down first and then unshackle. Of course, you need a surrounding veteran team for this kind of development (Bailey, for example, was not afforded this opportunity) but This Is The Way.

I think he could be a Nelson type in the future. Just solid all around. Can't ask for much more out of the 23rd OA pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Similar to how we praise a defenseman for "not being noticeable" - aka not making any glaring mistakes, making the smart play, and overall just being solid - it appears that is how the Lambert / Holmes is treating this year for his development.

In my opinion, if you're not a McDavid / Eichel / Stutzle offensive talent right out of the gates, this is the best way to progress as a 1st rounder. He was selected in the first round because of the talent inside, not his complete game. Let's get it down first and then unshackle. Of course, you need a surrounding veteran team for this kind of development (Bailey, for example, was not afforded this opportunity) but This Is The Way.

I think he could be a Nelson type in the future. Just solid all around. Can't ask for much more out of the 23rd OA pick.
Exactly. I think the easiest way for a rookie to find his way to the AHL is to have just a couple of bad shifts, like Dufour did, or one bad game after 4 solid games like Bolduc did in his first trip up to the Island. Holmstrom did an interview with Stefen Rosner this week where he acknowledged he was trying to be a 200 ft player and not concentrating so much on offense. At the bottom of that was probably Holms not wanting to get on the coaches bad side by taking unnecessary chances.

As Barry Trotz said, the NHL is a results league. Coaches will not be patient with rookie mistakes leading to a loss.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

Just to add on here this is yet another solid pick by Lou. Something I have been talking about on here all year long is that his drafting has been fantastic. He does not have that bonafide star yet through the draft which I would love to see.

Reactions: MJF

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Holmstrom feels nice because we’re damaged from Dal Colle and Reinhart.

Once Barzal is healthy, Holmstrom and should be sent to Bridgeport to help with their playoff push. The B-Islanders have given up the most goals in their division, Holmstrom will help with that and he needs to find his scoring touch on a more consistent basis.

I’m surprised Wotherspoon hasn’t been swapped with Bolduc to help the team down there…

Reactions: 19 in a row

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
The lies we tell ourselves...
Holmstrom has skills and shows it in glimpses, but he has been the weakest link among the forwards on what has been a surging team over the last stretch. He made a number defensive mistakes (which can be chalked up to youth possibly) in the Leaf's game and was benched for the 2nd half of the 3rd period (unless he was hurt which I did not see) last night when the game was tight.

He shows signs but is struggling right now. 1 point and a -2 in the past 11 games while getting significant time on the top line. Possible we see Bailey today but either way, once Barzal comes back both of them seem to be the likely candidates for the press box should we stay healthy and make the playoffs.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
He's raw. Good defensive upside but we're not gonna see a goal scoring machine. I think his best comparables are guys like Brandon Tanev, Trevor Lewis, or Joel Kiviranta. Just a good hard worker along the boards, but won't score a ton. Not the player we should've taken in the first round, but better than another flop like Wahlstrom. Lets see what he can do in 2023-24.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
theres probably a lot of respect for Bailey in the locker room and if Lambert can sense a little frustration from the veterans towards him being sat verses player X I'd assume it factors in some lineup decisions .

I like Holmstrom in the lineup over Josh at this point . Florida is going to eventually string together 3 in a row so Lane needs to figure this out .

JRD76

Aug 11, 2013
I was wondering if the isles should make Holmstrom a center. I think he’s already pretty sound defensively at a young age and seems to get stronger on his skates every year. Maybe have him start playing center in the AHL if he doesn’t make the team like they did with Koivula. I feel he would make a good 3rd line center and hopefully his scoring picks up as well.
Just a thought. What do you guys think?

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I was wondering if the isles should make Holmstrom a center. I think he’s already pretty sound defensively at a young age and seems to get stronger on his skates every year. Maybe have him start playing center in the AHL if he doesn’t make the team like they did with Koivula. I feel he would make a good 3rd line center and hopefully his scoring picks up as well.
I think the Islanders need wingers more than they need centers.

Reactions: JRD76

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

They have five centers on the roster right now and two of them are locked up long term so I don't see the need for that to happen. I'm not saying he wouldn't be a good third line center but I don't think we'll ever find out.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
They need their centers to be centers, no matter what Holmstron does.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Glad to see some optimism for this kid on this thread, but I'm just not seeing it. Didn't really produce in the minors and didn't really flash much in the NHL last year. Not sure what he's done to earn an opening day spot on the super important first line with two of our franchise players.

Hope I'm wrong and he hits the ground running this year. Giving our cap and prospect situation, we really need to get "lucky" and him a guy like him or Wahlstrom break through.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Glad to see some optimism for this kid on this thread, but I'm just not seeing it. Didn't really produce in the minors and didn't really flash much in the NHL last year. Not sure what he's done to earn an opening day spot on the super important first line with two of our franchise players.

Hope I'm wrong and he hits the ground running this year. Giving our cap and prospect situation, we really need to get "lucky" and him a guy like him or Wahlstrom break through.
He’s never been a scorer though, so these expectations are inconsistent.

If you watch him play, he goes to the right areas, plays responsible hockey, early signs of being strong on the boards. There’s more there, but he’s doing what the team is asking.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I'd like to see him remain with the team but his situation of not needing waivers and another season in the AHL likely benefiting him in the long run seems like an easy decision to stuff in B'port .

if Odelius and Liukas stay in north american Simon's experience could help them a bit on/off the ice .

Next season , Isles likely need to decide if they want his different two-way skill set in the middle 6 verses someone thats more physical

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The team has plenty of lower line centers in the system.

Having Horvat, Barzal, and Nelson on the books for a while means the top two centers are set for a while.

Holmstrom will be just fine as a complimentary player along the way, be it here or elsewhere if Lou feels he needs to be a "Beauvillier" in a deal moving forward.

For this season, in light of the one-way contracts on the books, it could be prudent to have him on the farm to kick things off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad