Player Discussion: Simon Holmstrom

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Really bad, I mean they should have picked that guy that was picked 10 picks later in the 2nd round. Maybe they should have picked Pelletier, Suzuki, or Beecher - all forwards picked after him in the first round with zero NHL games played. Actually, they should have traded up for franchise offensive player in Turcotte…
I hear you, and I like Holmstrom, but many people here did have Kaliyev targeted and wished for. Like a lot of others here, I was surprised we didn't take one of the 2 centers, but in that case I might well be wrong.

Two different types of players and Holmstrom will eventually be a solid NHL'er. Kalivev is a goal scorer and looks like he'll be around for at least a decade.

Hard to look back at that one

or Dirk Diggler
So how much ya squat?

Reactions: redbull

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Kid has been playing well. Hope he can keep earning playing time and keep his spot in the lineup. If take him anydqy over Bailey or Beauvillier.

Reactions: MJF

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Kid has been playing well. Hope he can keep earning playing time and keep his spot in the lineup. If take him anydqy over Bailey or Beauvillier.
I was saying last night, thought he’d take over for one of them next season but it’s looking like he’s starting to take over now.

We’ll see when we get guys healthy again but I am having a hard time seeing him get assigned back down but if he does I hope he doesn’t take his foot off the gas like Salo last season

Reactions: WangMustGo and MJF

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
His usage was interesting yesterday. Saw some minutes at critical times. Very responsible. Bailey not great in the D zone lately. Scratch coming?
For who? Palmieri obviously had a setback and could be out a while. Ross can't play above the 4th line. And Clutter would replace Fasching. Bailey sitting for Palmieri is the only likelihood for when he's healthy but that's a LW/RW switch. It would be great if Holmstrom wins the 3rd LW slot because of his play instead of Bailey losing it, but right now Bailey is 1st line LW with Lee paired with Nelson and Beau, who is also playing offhand.

The biggest problem is who wants to take on Bailey? Frankly, I'd take back another disappointment like Dadanov just to save the year, but this team's chemistry is built with Bailey. Unfortunately. Dadanov at least has some goal scoring in his past, and is also a big disappointment this year.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
His usage was interesting yesterday. Saw some minutes at critical times. Very responsible. Bailey not great in the D zone lately. Scratch coming?
He was on the ice towards the end of the 3rd period, in OT, 1st up in the shootout. It looks like he earned Lambert’s trust somewhat.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
For who? Palmieri obviously had a setback and could be out a while. Ross can't play above the 4th line. And Clutter would replace Fasching. Bailey sitting for Palmieri is the only likelihood for when he's healthy but that's a LW/RW switch. It would be great if Holmstrom wins the 3rd LW slot because of his play instead of Bailey losing it, but right now Bailey is 1st line LW with Lee paired with Nelson and Beau, who is also playing offhand.

The biggest problem is who wants to take on Bailey? Frankly, I'd take back another disappointment like Dadanov just to save the year, but this team's chemistry is built with Bailey. Unfortunately. Dadanov at least has some goal scoring in his past, and is also a big disappointment this year.
I think Holmstrom results in Bailey getting bought out next year.

Reactions: The Real JT

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I think Holmstrom results in Bailey getting bought out next year.
I was advocating for that this summer. The cap hit wasn't onerous at all.

JOSH BAILEY BUYOUT RESULTS​

A Josh Bailey buyout spans 2 years, has a cost of $2,333,333 and savings of $1,166,667. Bailey is 33 years of age at the time of the buyout; therefore, the buyout ratio is 2/3. With $3,500,000 in salary remaining, the cost is $2,333,333, and the savings are $1,166,667. Buyouts span twice the length of the remaining years and because there is 1 year remaining in the contract, the buyout length is 2 years. The buyout cap hit is displayed in the Cap Hit Calculations table below.

Buyout Date​

JuneJulyAugust15161718192021222324252627282930

Cost Calculations​

BUYOUT DATEBASE SALARY REMAININGS.BONUS REMAININGYEARS REMAININGBUYOUT LENGTHAGEBUYOUT RATIOTOTAL COSTTOTAL SAVINGSANNUAL COST
Jun. 15, 2023$3,500,000$012332/3$2,333,333$1,166,667$1,166,667
freestar

Cap Hit Calculations​

SEASONINITIAL BASE SALARYINITIAL CAP HITSIGNING BONUSBUYOUT COSTPOST-BUYOUT EARNINGSSAVINGSCAP HIT (
Logo of the New York Islanders
NYI)
2023-24$3,500,000$5,000,000$0$1,166,667$1,166,667$2,333,333$2,666,667
2024-25$0$0$0$1,166,667$1,166,667-$1,166,667$1,166,667
TOTAL$3,500,000$5,000,000$0$2,333,333$2,333,333$1,166,667$3,833,334

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls

Shedding him will be difficult. He may be a guy that gets bought out in the offseason.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I was advocating for that this summer. The cap hit wasn't onerous at all.

JOSH BAILEY BUYOUT RESULTS​

A Josh Bailey buyout spans 2 years, has a cost of $2,333,333 and savings of $1,166,667. Bailey is 33 years of age at the time of the buyout; therefore, the buyout ratio is 2/3. With $3,500,000 in salary remaining, the cost is $2,333,333, and the savings are $1,166,667. Buyouts span twice the length of the remaining years and because there is 1 year remaining in the contract, the buyout length is 2 years. The buyout cap hit is displayed in the Cap Hit Calculations table below.

Buyout Date​

JuneJulyAugust15161718192021222324252627282930

Cost Calculations​

BUYOUT DATEBASE SALARY REMAININGS.BONUS REMAININGYEARS REMAININGBUYOUT LENGTHAGEBUYOUT RATIOTOTAL COSTTOTAL SAVINGSANNUAL COST
Jun. 15, 2023$3,500,000$012332/3$2,333,333$1,166,667$1,166,667
freestar

Cap Hit Calculations​

SEASONINITIAL BASE SALARYINITIAL CAP HITSIGNING BONUSBUYOUT COSTPOST-BUYOUT EARNINGSSAVINGSCAP HIT (
Logo of the New York Islanders
NYI)
2023-24$3,500,000$5,000,000$0$1,166,667$1,166,667$2,333,333$2,666,667
2024-25$0$0$0$1,166,667$1,166,667-$1,166,667$1,166,667
TOTAL$3,500,000$5,000,000$0$2,333,333$2,333,333$1,166,667$3,833,334

You may have a team that would take Bailey at 50% retained.

I wonder if Bailey and Palmieri combined with ‘24 pick for Erik Karlsson (with minor retention) is a way to get out from both those contracts.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Have to hope that injury is nothing serious. He has been playing good hockey and seems to be adjusting well. Would be a shame to see him out longterm.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I feel that Holmstrom is a different kind of Bailey. Both seem to be defensively responsible. I think Holmstrom is a bit faster, but that probably has to do with Holmstrom being younger.

I like Fasching a lot more than I do Holmstrom, but both are good enough and feel they are a part of our future. With all this in mind....ever since we drafted Holmstrom, I felt he could be our Pasternak. I'm just not seeing the hands yet......I don't see him deking out guys like Wahstrom is (who is underwhelming to me this season). His passing is on and off....I won't be too critical as it takes a while to adjust to this league. At the same time, chemistry takes time to build. (ie..took the Devils 3 years to get it together)

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I feel that Holmstrom is a different kind of Bailey. Both seem to be defensively responsible. I think Holmstrom is a bit faster, but that probably has to do with Holmstrom being younger.

I like Fasching a lot more than I do Holmstrom, but both are good enough and feel they are a part of our future. With all this in mind....ever since we drafted Holmstrom, I felt he could be our Pasternak. I'm just not seeing the hands yet......I don't see him deking out guys like Wahstrom is (who is underwhelming to me this season). His passing is on and off....I won't be too critical as it takes a while to adjust to this league. At the same time, chemistry takes time to build. (ie..took the Devils 3 years to get it together)
Holmstrom at 21, has terrific positioning and anticipation of where the puck is going. This past game he also showed impressive defensive stick work. Even if his offense never develops, he is almost certainly going to be an NHL regular.

Fasching is already 27 years old. He is not a prospect, has less upside. But looks like a legitimate bottom six player. For years I’ve wanted a player like him to give the Cizikas line more competition.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Holmstrom at 21, has terrific positioning and anticipation of where the puck is going. This past game he also showed impressive defensive stick work. Even if his offense never develops, he is almost certainly going to be an NHL regular.

Fasching is already 27 years old. He is not a prospect, has less upside. But looks like a legitimate bottom six player. For years I’ve wanted a player like him to give the Cizikas line more competition.
I'm really liking Holmstrom , that knee injury is a gut punch . I've read your previous posts on him and your take is spot on .

scott99

May 13, 2005
Have to hope that injury is nothing serious. He has been playing good hockey and seems to be adjusting well. Would be a shame to see him out Iwas Holmstrom’s biggest critic
It’s too bad about the injury. He was very good tonight.
I was Holmstrom’s biggest critic, yet I’m very upset about the injury. I feel, though he didn’t score last night, he played his best game, was very noticeable, created many chances, and just looked very confident. He really has seemed to have meshed well with Pageau.

I don’t think he’ll be a top 6 forward, but could be a very solid 3rd line winger. I think the confidence he was playing with comes from the knowledge that he can play in the NHL. The play he got injured on, was a really nice play, once again, that was the play of a confident player.

Florida seems to be a dirty team, they seem to go after knees. I saw that several times during the game. Even on the Raty goal, there was a knee on knee. Very dangerous kind of play.

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
I remember back when we drafted him he had a few injuries in his draft year to the point where most people thought he was going to be injury prone.

The decision to develop him in the AHL was for the purpose of making sure he rehabs correctly and develops his strength. That strategy has definitely paid off as his upper body strength has improved noticeably since his draft year.

The thing that sucks about this injury ( if it’s long term) to Holmstrom is that he had been relatively free of injury in the AHL. To be injured in this way by a cheap shot by a cheap player really pisses me off. Echoing the sentiments of others , I hope it’s nothing serious.

Reactions: PWJunior

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Lambert is now using Holmstrom in all situations, PP, PK, OT, late in close games, shootouts. That speaks volumes about the confidence the coach has in a player who has just 14 NHL games under his belt. Frankly, when the entire team is healthy Holmstrom should not be sent down or a healthy scratch. I think he won a job from a vet.

I hope his injury isn't as bad as it looked at first glance. It would be a major loss for us given the injuries that are piling up.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Lambert is now using Holmstrom in all situations, PP, PK, OT, late in close games, shootouts. That speaks volumes about the confidence the coach has in a player who has just 14 NHL games under his belt. Frankly, when the entire team is healthy Holmstrom should not be sent down or a healthy scratch. I think he won a job from a vet.

I hope his injury isn't as bad as it looked at first glance. It would be a major loss for us given the injuries that are piling up.
Spot on. This is something that a lot of fans just don’t pay attention to. Kinda like the crowd that kept piling on Mayfield, but Trotz had him out their in the final minute or two of every important play/game.

Holmstrom looked like he was going to come into his own this season. One of those guys that comes in mid-season w/o all the offseason hype/pressure to produce from game 1. Here, he can slide in, if producing (which he was).

At this stage, he’s a big body, you can tell he’s still not entirely confident in his size at this level for it to be effective- reminds me of a better version of Nik Antropov.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Spot on. This is something that a lot of fans just don’t pay attention to. Kinda like the crowd that kept piling on Mayfield, but Trotz had him out their in the final minute or two of every important play/game.

Holmstrom looked like he was going to come into his own this season. One of those guys that comes in mid-season w/o all the offseason hype/pressure to produce from game 1. Here, he can slide in, if producing (which he was).

At this stage, he’s a big body, you can tell he’s still not entirely confident in his size at this level for it to be effective- reminds me of a better version of Nik Antropov.
Too many people want a rookie to burst onto the scene and score, score, score. Especially when it comes to the Islanders. Holmstrom is not flashy but he’s doing well with just about anything the coach has given him. He may or may not have a scorer’s touch, it remains to be seen, but a player like this who can “play the game the right way” can be invaluable to a team.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I was Holmstrom’s biggest critic, yet I’m very upset about the injury. I feel, though he didn’t score last night, he played his best game, was very noticeable, created many chances, and just looked very confident. He really has seemed to have meshed well with Pageau.

I don’t think he’ll be a top 6 forward, but could be a very solid 3rd line winger. I think the confidence he was playing with comes from the knowledge that he can play in the NHL. The play he got injured on, was a really nice play, once again, that was the play of a confident player.

Florida seems to be a dirty team, they seem to go after knees. I saw that several times during the game. Even on the Raty goal, there was a knee on knee. Very dangerous kind of play.
To brand a 21 year old as 'only' a third liner is a safe, but premature assessment in my opinion.

In 2-3 seasons, I can see him being too solid to not have in your top six if he continues to develop. It's a shame Bennett cheapshotted him last night.

Reactions: Strummergas

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5