Player Discussion: Simon Holmstrom

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
The first time I saw Gretzky play I didn't get what all the hubbub was about. :rolleyes:

The first time I saw Gretzky play I didn't get what all the hubbub was about. :rolleyes:
I felt the same way about Rocky Trottier when the Devils made him 8th pick overall that year. At least he made it to the big league unlike Keith. At least his big brother Wayne did ok in the league!

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
In Bridgeport he made some nifty passes. As he learns other players tendencies, hopefully he can bring that skill to the NY Islanders too.

Reactions: Mike C and TMI

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Yeah, last night was a rough one for him. Games like that are inevitable for the vast majority of rookies, but the fact that it took that long for him to have one is encouraging.

Reactions: MJF and TMI

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Yeah, last night was a rough one for him. Games like that are inevitable for the vast majority of rookies, but the fact that it took that long for him to have one is encouraging.
Really like his overall positioning and use of his body to just cut down lanes. Getting some Ondrej Palat vibes from the past few games.

I didn’t check the game minutes, but with Beauvillier and Clutterbuck missing time I assume Holmstrom got more minutes. At least until Clutterbuck returned.

The extra minutes against the Devils pace seemed to expose his inexperience.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Really like his overall positioning and use of his body to just cut down lanes. Getting some Ondrej Palat vibes from the past few games.

I didn’t check the game minutes, but with Beauvillier and Clutterbuck missing time I assume Holmstrom got more minutes. At least until Clutterbuck returned.

The extra minutes against the Devils pace seemed to expose his inexperience.
When Palmieri is healthy, I’m curious to see if they send Holmstrom down and he begins to rip up the AHL after getting what is one of the biggest cups of coffee for a rookie under the Lamoriello era.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
When Palmieri is healthy, I’m curious to see if they send Holmstrom down and he begins to rip up the AHL after getting what is one of the biggest cups of coffee for a rookie under the Lamoriello era.
I could absolutely see that happening. Returning to the AHL pace after acclimating well to the NHL.

I’m a big fan of giving prospects spot duty a year before giving them a more serious look for full time. This allows them to apply what they learn in the NHL as top liner in the AHL.

What is important is communication on the organization’s part, so the player does not internalize it as a failure. But sheltered development.

Reactions: BarzyClub

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I don't think Holmstrom is going to burn the house down with his offensive prowess... even at the AHL level. He reminds me of F version of Calvin de Haan

Reactions: BarzyClub

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
as a few others have stated he has really good positioning for a young player .

hopefully he stays up for the rest of the season even when Palms returns while #12 takes a seat

Reactions: MarsTBOW

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
We’re so starved for new blood in our forward lineup that some of these posts are getting a little ahead of themselves.

I have no idea what this kid’s going to be but he’s certainly not lighting it up. He’s defensively sound which is a plus. Maybe the offense will follow. Who knows?

9 games: 0 goals, 1 assist and a total of 4 shots playing 11+ minutes a game.

Don’t hate me. On second thought, go ahead. IDGAF.

JPIsles18

Jul 12, 2022
We’re so starved for new blood in our forward lineup that some of these posts are getting a little ahead of themselves.

I have no idea what this kid’s going to be but he’s certainly not lighting it up. He’s defensively sound which is a plus. Maybe the offense will follow. Who knows?

9 games: 0 goals, 1 assist and a total of 4 shots playing 11+ minutes a game.

Don’t hate me. On second thought, go ahead. IDGAF.
In the 9 games he's been on the team, he leads the team in xGF with 54% at 5v5. However, he's been outscored 2-3, in actual goals 5v5. He seems like a low event player who has looked good defensively.

As a comparison during the same timeframe: Pageau is at 47% xGF, outscored 1-5. Bailey is at an awful 38%, and is even scoring 2-2.

Holmstrom is likely a bottom 6 forward who is good defensively. He should replace Bailey, who is neither good offensively or defensively. The Isles have mostly struggled on defense this year. Hoping Simon stays with Bailey being scratched/waived.

Reactions: BTrotts19

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
In the 9 games he's been on the team, he leads the team in xGF with 54% at 5v5. However, he's been outscored 2-3, in actual goals 5v5. He seems like a low event player who has looked good defensively.

As a comparison during the same timeframe: Pageau is at 47% xGF, outscored 1-5. Bailey is at an awful 38%, and is even scoring 2-2.

Holmstrom is likely a bottom 6 forward who is good defensively. He should replace Bailey, who is neither good offensively or defensively. The Isles have mostly struggled on defense this year. Hoping Simon stays with Bailey being scratched/waived.
The bolded is something you don't mind having out of a rookie called up as an injury replacement. The trouble is the uneven production of the other regulars in the lineup.

Does Kyle Palmieri outproduce the guy replacing him? Absolutely. I'd say we're missing him right about now.

Reactions: seafoam and Mike C

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Bottom 6 defensively minded forward is a low bar for a first round pick. He’s barely been here so who knows.

We’ve done worse I suppose.

Reactions: BTrotts19

QuadDeuces

Jul 16, 2006
Salt Lake City
This was a bad pick from the start IMO, with Kaliyev still on the board. As far as I can see, Holmstrom has absolutely no discernible skills that will make him a useful every day NHLer.

Reactions: Ishkabible

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
This was a bad pick from the start IMO, with Kaliyev still on the board. As far as I can see, Holmstrom has absolutely no discernible skills that will make him a useful every day NHLer.
Really bad, I mean they should have picked that guy that was picked 10 picks later in the 2nd round. Maybe they should have picked Pelletier, Suzuki, or Beecher - all forwards picked after him in the first round with zero NHL games played. Actually, they should have traded up for franchise offensive player in Turcotte…

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Really bad, I mean they should have picked that guy that was picked 10 picks later in the 2nd round. Maybe they should have picked Pelletier, Suzuki, or Beecher - all forwards picked after him in the first round with zero NHL games played. Actually, they should have traded up for franchise offensive player in Turcotte…
Coulda Shoulda Woulda

3 words that needs to be banned from the English language along with if ida

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Bottom 6 defensively minded forward is a low bar for a first round pick. He’s barely been here so who knows.

I have such low expectations for draft picks that if you make the show, it’s a success for me.

Anything more, I.E an impact player, that’s luck.

Reactions: danteipp

JPIsles18

Jul 12, 2022

He was picked in the 20s. He looks like an NHL forward. Pageau, Palmieri, Bailey, Cizikas, Martin, Clutterbuck, Beauvillier, Parise, Johnston are all bottom 6 forwards on good teams. Most posters here still think this is a playoff team that can go far because they did so in the past.

There's value in real good cheap bottom 6 forwards. It allows you to acquire guys like Johnny Gaudreau. Bottom 6 forwards are excellent assets unless you overpay them. Lou has mastered collecting overpriced bottom 6 forwards, so I have no issues with him acquiring him late in first round (even though I didn't like the pick, I wanted Tomasino). Bigger issue is that guys like Bailey will continue to play over him while making 4.1 million more and offering nothing on either side of the ice.

As long as the Isles continue to waste away valuable cap space, and not play young players, it won't matter how they draft.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
He was picked in the 20s. He looks like an NHL forward. Pageau, Palmieri, Bailey, Cizikas, Martin, Clutterbuck, Beauvillier, Parise, Johnston are all bottom 6 forwards on good teams. Most posters here still think this is a playoff team that can go far because they did so in the past.

There's value in real good cheap bottom 6 forwards. It allows you to acquire guys like Johnny Gaudreau. Bottom 6 forwards are excellent assets unless you overpay them. Lou has mastered collecting overpriced bottom 6 forwards, so I have no issues with him acquiring him late in first round (even though I didn't like the pick, I wanted Tomasino). Bigger issue is that guys like Bailey will continue to play over him while making 4.1 million more and offering nothing on either side of the ice.

As long as the Isles continue to waste away valuable cap space, and not play young players, it won't matter how they draft.
Except Lou didn’t pay Bailey, some guy named Garth did. He was signed as a 2nd liner.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
Unlike most of our forwards Holmstrom wins the majority of his battles for the puck. Which seems a good starting point. Reckon he's been decent enough at this stage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seph

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00