Should Holland be fired?

Should Holland be fired?

• Total voters

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
I probably won't, for Katz and co. I think his bigger worry should be season ticket holders. They're already mad.

Another year of bull **** and I think down the stretch of next season they're going to be treated to very visible empty seats. It was already happening this year.

So if you’re not going to bother watching, why get so worked up about things? More importantly, why be resigned to already “knowing” exactly what is going to happen in six months?

Sounds like a crappy way to live to me.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So if you’re not going to bother watching, why get so worked up about things? More importantly, why be resigned to already “knowing” exactly what is going to happen in six months?

I can vent for this week, but yeah it doesn't make a difference. This is what I was so vocal about with Chiarelli that he would lead us into this horrible sink hole, and it's come to pass.

And they are f***ed. And I don't really even have faith they can fix this even for the 20-21 season. They are going to be under the gun and in panic mode by next summer and there's no guarantee that there will be the players available then that the Oilers need.

This summer is basically a write off. It's unbelievable that this franchise is going to turn the McLottery into 5 years of this result, unbelievable. Best player in the world and you can't even make the playoffs for 3 consecutive years is unreal and only once in 5 years ... unreal.

Reactions: MessierII

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam

Never mind him ,it all do and gloom.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
You just hired him.

He's got a mess to fix. Give him time.

Sometimes you expect something to trend positively in a direction that would let you believe there is progress being made to "fixing" it. If he does something with Lucic I'll have a bit more faith. At this moment it's less than mediocre.

But some people are satisfied with mediocre moves.

Ol' Jase

Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
I can vent for this week, but yeah it doesn't make a difference. This is what I was so vocal about with Chiarelli that he would lead us into this horrible sink hole, and it's come to pass.

And they are ****ed. And I don't really even have faith they can fix this even for the 20-21 season. They are going to be under the gun and in panic mode by next summer and there's no guarantee that there will be the players available then that the Oilers need.

This summer is basically a write off. It's unbelievable that this franchise is going to turn the McLottery into 5 years of this result, unbelievable. Best player in the world and you can't even make the playoffs for 3 consecutive years is unreal and only once in 5 years ... unreal.

It’s beyond ridiculous that you expected this to be fixed on July 1 or “the summer is a write off”.

Oh well, I’m not surprised.

Reactions: Cypress

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
This is more or less the roster, there are not ever a ton of moves after July 1, that's some dumb fantasy that gets paraded around every year. They'll add a Patrick Maroon and that'll be it.

Yes, it's more or less the roster, but there's still players out there. Only way we could got some more flexibility would have been shipping Lucic out, but I think other teams would want Bouchard too to take that contract, so would you be ready to pay that price?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It’s beyond ridiculous that you expected this to be fixed on July 1 or “the summer is a write off”.

Oh well, I’m not surprised.

It's not ridiculous, it's realistic. This is the same team as last year. They have room for a marginal signing left.

They finished below Vancouver with this roster. At some point it's actually you guys, the ones that want to be all optimistic all the time that are actually the ones in denial.

You guys are the ones who are always wrong.

Past that, who cares if people are negative/positive, whatever. People have a right to feel whatever they want, it doesn't impact crap. Everyone and their grandma was super positive after summer 2017 and it meant dick all in the team's results.

The team is what it is.

Reactions: MessierII

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
It's not ridiculous, it's realistic. This is the same team as last year. They have room for a marginal signing left.

They finished below Vancouver with this roster. At some point it's actually you guys, the ones that want to be all optimistic all the time that are actually the ones in denial.

Past that, who cares if people are negative/positive, whatever. People have a right to feel whatever they want, it doesn't impact crap. Everyone and their grandma was super positive after summer 2017 and it meant dick all in the team's results.

The team is what it is.
then fell free to stop watching them if they're so predictable

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I find it ironic that both Oil and Wings fans seems upset with their new GMs after just a draft and half a day of free agency.

Trust the process

I'm not upset with Holland, he's a good hockey mind, but this is not a "lets take 2-4 years to figure this out".

Ryan Nugent Hopkins said it himself: "We have to figure this out *now*. Not 1-2 years from now". I think McDavid and Draisaitl share that sentiment.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
then fell free to stop watching them if they're so predictable

I won't be watching that often this year, what difference does it make either way. Everyone and their grandma was super positive two years ago and it meant dick all in the result.

How fans feel doesn't impact anything other than season ticket sales ... which the Oilers should be worried about because I get the sense this season ticket base is f***ing pissed off.

If Bobby Burgers thought the temperature in that room was hot this year, it will be hotter for him next year if the result is about the same (which is likely will be).

Ol' Jase

Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005

The team is what it is.

Lol

When you constantly flip out about everything, and I do mean absolutely everything, claiming people are “always wrong” when they don’t thrash madly like this at every turn doesn’t hold any water.

Holland has one job today. Not create anymore f***ing anchor contracts on this team.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lol

When you constantly flip out about everything, and I do mean absolutely everything, claiming people are “always wrong” when they don’t thrash madly like this at every turn doesn’t hold any water.

Holland has one job today. Not create anymore ****ing anchor contracts on this team.

He has one job. And that's get the team into the playoffs before McDavid loses his mind.

That's his job. That's all. There is no ribbon or cookie or prize for "not being as stupid as Chiarelli" anymore.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
He has one job. And that's get the team into the playoffs before McDavid loses his mind.

That's his job. That's all. There is no ribbon or cookie or prize for "not being as stupid as Chiarelli" anymore.
so which future buy-out UFAs should Holland have done today that makes them that much better?

Panthera

Sep 25, 2017
I mean, firing him right away sounds pretty silly...

But it's definitely not looking good right now. People can say it's still early in his tenure and sure, that's true, but the draft and the first day of free agency have come and (mostly) gone, and that's where a large portion of a GMs big off season moves take place. A lot less movement happens after this point in general, and the early returns are...what? We're heading into next season with last years team plus a bottom six forward who should be an upgrade on the clown car we had down there before but still isn't making a difference, and minus Sekera who was one of our non-garbage defensemen. And we've swapped Cam Talbot for Mike Smith, which is probably lateral. We're running out of relevant players to add and the teams willing to take on our bad contracts are dwindling as they're making those deals with other teams, and our roster looks to be slightly worse than it did last year. We're pretty much hoping the prospects take big steps forward for our chances of making the playoffs to exist, and sure, that's where we'd likely be no matter what due to Chiarelli's less than stellar performance, but so far Holland has neither helped our cap issues nor improved our prospect pool nor improved our roster for next season. If we're good next year it will be because Bouchard or whoever suddenly goes nuclear, and that wouldn't be any different even if we had kept Gretzky or god forbid Chia in charge. I'll hold onto hope for some good moves in the future, but I can't blame anyone for being fed up at this point. We're largely committing to the exact same "resign mediocre depth, pray for prospects" approach that we've been going with for a decade.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Lol

Holland has one job today. Not create anymore ****ing anchor contracts on this team.

Such a bar we've set for this organization.

Don't screw things up more and you've done a good job lmao.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
I'm not upset with Holland, he's a good hockey mind, but this is not a "lets take 2-4 years to figure this out".

Ryan Nugent Hopkins said it himself: "We have to figure this out *now*. Not 1-2 years from now". I think McDavid and Draisaitl share that sentiment.
Is it realistic to expect the absolute mess of a roster Holland got to be totally turned around in just 1-2 years? Yes everyone wants to maximize the Oilers current talent but there are serious holes and culture problems with the team that don’t just get fixed overnight. This is a team in serious need of productive depth and while many of the moves so far seem lackluster these are the foundational pieces that help build a winner. Getting a big ticket player doesn’t fix the Oil. It’s not the right time to be doing that just yet. First build a foundation of productive and reliable middle 6 scorers then target the big fish to put you over the top.

And fix that defense. You aren’t winning anything with those guys and Koskinen.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
UFA day should be used to get players for a good price to fill in the small holes in your lineup. The big name, expensive players almost never work out for the entire length of their contract.

We had limited cap space and it's good to have some during the season in case anything new materializes. The problem is that we didn't fill our 2 biggest needs, a winger for RNH and a 3C. As of right now it looks unnecessary to buy out Sekera. I think the plan will be to have some AHL players to fill the holes in the lineup.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
This is a dumb thread. But I’ll say this about Holland’s performance so far, it just shows what I’ve always said. The Oilers GM job is the thought GM job in the league.

Chia could barely signed any worthwhile free agents (except the ones he’s got for the brief McDavid bump in attractiveness we got) and no other GM could.

So Holland ain’t changing that unless he overpays said UFA, but we can’t afford that cause our Cap is f*cked.

In any case, he’s made some low risk gambles, same shit Chia tried but maybe Holland’s gambles will prove to be better.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
at some point fans have to admit there is only so much u can do. we just got rid of a GM that was in a hurry and he sewered this team. it will take time to fix this hit mess.

no playoffs next year. accept it or be angry all year. the choice is yours.

Reactions: Cypress

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes