Should Holland be fired?

Should Holland be fired?

• Total voters

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
That's the job here, if he didn't want something that had a high bar set, he should have just stayed in Detroit.

Giving Connor McDavid basically the same team he had last year with whopping Granlund, a 4th line player, added to it is garbage.

Minus a better Sekera.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Hard to believe he hasn't fixed our cap problem & winger depth problem & goalie problem & defense problem & front office culture problem & dressing room culture problem yet.

He's been here over a month, what is he waiting for?
He has to, no, he MUST be fired!

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
We have 1.1 million in projected cap space left currently according to capfriendly. Most used by acquiring spring chicken Mr Smith... Our netminder of the future.

Ken Holland is ****ing ******ed when it comes to cap management.

He should be fired.

It's actually 3.93, but you're probably too busy freaking out that you forgot how to read.

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
He should have forgotton about trying to sign UFAs. PK Subban is available, acquire him, and then move cap as necessary.

I think Connor McDavid is going to be at his witt's end here in 12 months, he is going to be beyond frustrated.

This is the worst franchise in pro sports, they can't even make the playoffs with the best player in the world, in no other sports league is that even possible for what is probably gonna be 3 straight years.

Yeah, that would have solved our problems. As far as I know this is a team sport and if other 9 forwards doesn't show up and do their job offensively, we would be even worse than we are now.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
How you think he didn't try? Only way to fix those things would be trade contracts which no one doesn't even want to look at. Just look at Looch contract, there's no one who would take that if we don't take another bad contract back and retain some salary, it wouldn't even give us more cap flexibility, maybe make it worse.

Theres always ways to smartly move contracts and invent abstract ways to get rid of em. Example. Dubas.

Oiler needed a young GM. This skeleton will outwait everyone to improve his team. Granlund ? Drafting another defenseman over high end wingers available to us ? Piss drunk at the draft with 99.

Something tells me this is going to get ugly.

If this was the case K. Gretzky should have gotten the nod. Guaranteed this team would be in a better position by now. Theres someone who's hungry.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah, that would have solved our problems. As far as I know this is a team sport and if other 9 forwards doesn't show up and do their job offensively, we would be even worse than we are now.

It's not solving all the problems, it's giving your three best players another player at least that can impact a game and not just another year of pure junk. Maybe they don't make the playoffs anyway but at least you're giving them a shot.

What this is ... is a joke. This is the same roster with Granlund tacked onto it, another 4th line player.

Reactions: McFlash97

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I’m embarrassed as an Oiler fan seeing this. Guy has been on the jobs 3 months. Let’s wait for 3 years before we run him out of town.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
It's not solving all the problems, it's giving your three best players another player at least that can impact a game and not just another year of pure junk. Maybe they don't make the playoffs anyway but at least you're giving them a shot.

What this is ... is a joke. This is the same roster with Granlund tacked onto it, another 4th line player.

No, it's a shitshow started by Chia few years back and made it even worse last season. But there's no easy way out of it without a miracle, as we all can see that those bad contracts handled by Chia have pretty much handcuffed Holland.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
You can't fire him obviously.

He never should have been hired in the first place though. Shame on this organization and Nicholson for pretending that there was going to be some sort of thorough hiring process this time around only to turn around and offer the job to Holland the second he became available.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No, it's a ****show started by Chia few years back and made it even worse last season. But there's no easy way out of it without a miracle, as we all can see that those bad contracts handled by Chia have pretty much handcuffed Holland.

Well I think the question is can Holland turn this around before McDavid loses patience, and right now it looks like this first off-season is more or less of a write off.

I don't think Ken has 2+ years to fix this in, if this is the pace he intends to go at, he's going to get himself into trouble.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
You can't fire him obviously.

He never should have been hired in the first place though. Shame on this organization and Nicholson for pretending that there was going to be some sort of thorough hiring process this time around only to turn around and offer the job to Holland the second he became available.
oh I am sorry you wanted nothing but a young hip GM but they are not coming so we got the better person

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
oh I am sorry you wanted nothing but a young hip GM but they are not coming so we got the better person

And where's the moron GM you defended for 2 years here telling us he wouldn't be fired, he'd right the ship, etc. etc.

Where is he? Look at what he's done to this team.

Best player in the world + another 50 goal winger + a 69 point center and they can't even finish above the Vancouver Canucks who are rebuilding.

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
Well I think the question is can Holland turn this around before McDavid loses patience, and right now it looks like this first off-season is more or less of a write off.

I don't think Ken has 2+ years to fix this in, if this is the pace he intends to go at, he's going to get himself into trouble.

I wouldn't give him 2+ years, but there's no one who could fix this in just few weeks. Thought I can wait until start of the season and make up my mind after that.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I wouldn't give him 2+ years, but there's no one who could fix this in just few weeks. Thought I can wait until start of the season and make up my mind after that.

What's there to wait on? This is the same team, you saw it last season. Adding Granlund to the 4th line doesn't magically make them a different team.

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
What's there to wait on? This is the same team, you saw it last season. Adding Granlund to the 4th line doesn't magically make them a different team.

And it's first day of free agency. I'm happy he didn't go all in today, because prices will dip at least a little bit after frenzy, so there's still changes to improvement. I know he prefers trade to improve team, but if opportunity rises to improve team he will use it. And that's something PC wasn't willing to do cos he just wanted big bodies to run over everything on the ice.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005

Then you get an entire winter of free time since you’re obviously not going to bother watching any games since you already know exactly what’s going to happen.

That’s pretty cool, right?

Reactions: Kepler 186f

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
And it's first day of free agency. I'm happy he didn't go all in today, because prices will dip at least a little bit after frenzy, so there's still changes to improvement. I know he prefers trade to improve team, but if opportunity rises to improve team he will use it. And that's something PC wasn't willing to do cos he just wanted big bodies to run over everything on the ice.

This is more or less the roster, there are not ever a ton of moves after July 1, that's some dumb fantasy that gets paraded around every year. They'll add a Patrick Maroon and that'll be it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Then you get an entire winter of free time since you’re obviously not going to bother watching any games since you already know exactly what’s going to happen.

That’s pretty cool, right?

I probably won't, for Katz and co. I think his bigger worry should be season ticket holders. They're already mad.

Another year of bull shit and I think down the stretch of next season they're going to be treated to very visible empty seats. It was already happening this year.

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
It's actually 3.93, but you're probably too busy freaking out that you forgot how to read.

Sorry looked at the wrong line. Figured the projected was 80.4. But that's actual dollars. Partly because capfriendly hasn't updated performances yet.

So bad at reading but the math is 3.93 minus 1.75. Leaving a whopping 2.18.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad