Should Holland be fired?

Should Holland be fired?

• Total voters

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
as I have said since I calmed down after the draft and looked at the bigger picture

based upon the draft and what we saw today

the oilers are going into hibernation for one or two years till we shed some contract

the contracts today were all about buying time

we have just under 4 mill in cap space and still have more holes then swiss cheese

off the books next year

Gagner 3.1
Kassian 1.5
Granlund 1.3 ( yes new signing but still)
Brodziuk 1.1
Nygard .925
Jurco .750
Cave .6.75
Manning 2.25
Benning 1.9

Mannings/Gagner contract money will be going to Nurse who is also a RFA

summer of 2021
Hopkins 6
Larsson 4.1
Russel 4

by the fall 2021 Bouchard, Jones and Bear should all be ready for the NHL and we can look to move the money we were paying Larsson and Russel to address our FWD needs

I suspect that July 1st 2020 will be a mirror image of what we saw today

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
What would you have him do....drop 10mil on one guy for 5 years and hope it works out?

All he’s really done wrong is buyout Sekera a year too early.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
as I have said since I calmed down after the draft and looked at the bigger picture

based upon the draft and what we saw today

the oilers are going into hibernation for one or two years till we shed some contract

the contracts today were all about buying time

we have just under 4 mill in cap space and still have more holes then swiss cheese

off the books next year

Gagner 3.1
Kassian 1.5
Granlund 1.3 ( yes new signing but still)
Brodziuk 1.1
Nygard .925
Jurco .750
Cave .6.75
Manning 2.25
Benning 1.9

Mannings/Gagner contract money will be going to Nurse who is also a RFA

summer of 2021
Hopkins 6
Larsson 4.1
Russel 4

by the fall 2021 Bouchard, Jones and Bear should all be ready for the NHL and we can look to move the money we were paying Larsson and Russel to address our FWD needs

I suspect that July 1st 2020 will be a mirror image of what we saw today

Honestly don't even give a crap what "philosophy" the Oilers are selling at this point.

Its whether McDavid is ok with 1-2 more years of no playoffs. That's the only opinion I care about.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
We have 1.1 million in projected cap space left currently according to capfriendly. Most used by acquiring spring chicken Mr Smith... Our netminder of the future.

Ken Holland is ****ing ******ed when it comes to cap management.

He should be fired.

This is one of those posts that people go around and laugh at when they think about HFoil.

I really wish people would give their heads a f***ing shake once in awhile.

Actually, scratch that. You made up your mind the moment Holland was hired. There’s no point in even arguing with these types of posts.

Last edited:

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Holland has to get the trade for a d-man right. No excuse not to get one in the next four weeks. Has all kinds of trade pieces and just enough cap for a 4-6 mill D depending if Benning or Russell in the deal.

The 3C is also a big one and I like he is talking about it but less pressing IMO. Marody can be that guy maybe. The need for a RD though is the big one.

Panthera

Sep 25, 2017
at some point fans have to admit there is only so much u can do. we just got rid of a GM that was in a hurry and he sewered this team. it will take time to fix this hit mess.

no playoffs next year. accept it or be angry all year. the choice is yours.

I never expected the team to have a realistic chance of making the playoffs next season. I'm annoyed because the draft and first day of free agency have amounted to nothing. Cap situation isn't any better. Prospect pool isn't any better relatively speaking. Roster is slightly worse, even at best. We've been in the position of needing time to fix the mess for years (really, for all but one season in the last 10 years) and the team still hasn't even started on it. At what point does it stop being acceptable for there to never be any attempt at progress beyond hoping the young guys get better and solve everything?

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
5194560A-4BAF-4BA2-AD0F-964F7176EFFF.png

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
So what can we do as fans? I have already been boycotting buying any Oilers merchandise, don't go to any games. Posting endlessly on here about how awful we are isn't going to change anything.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I do find it funny that at the same point, the people that were calling for Chiarelli's head are now telling anyone who questions Holland to shut up.
It’s almost like chiarelli came into a much better situation than holland.

Holland hasn’t traded a first for a washed up D who can’t skate yet.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
We don't know that he drafted the wrong player and won't know for years.

As for free agency and the job he did today, what was he supposed to do with the woeful mess that Chia left behind?

Sekera, Manning, Lucic, Brodziak, Koskinen, Gagner etc.-- you can't fix all of these overpriced contracts overnight. It will take a couple of years before some real daylight is seen at the end of the tunnel.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
He needed to be bolder than that. Make a move on PK Subban and dump cap as neccessary, do something, the same roster that finished below the rebuilding Canucks with Petterson injured for like 20 games while the Oilers got 100 point seasons from McDavid and Draisaitl ... is an embarrassment.

How can you even keep a straight face when talking to McDavid and tell him you're serious about competing next year.

What exactly do we have that allows us to move 9 mil in salary?

Because the going rate for 9mil in salary relief is apparently a 1D.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
We see things very differently.

Play Jones. Hope he is better than Sekrra and effectively pay Jones Salary AND Sekera's buyout for 4 more years...

It's ridiculously stupid. Beyond moronic. I imagine any Oilers fans that are accountants have projectile vomited upon hearing the news.

Big and fast and utterly useless with the LD we STILL have in the organization. But hey, maybe when/if he actually makes the nhl Holland can buyout Nurse, Klefbom, Russell, Samourukov, and/or Lagesson to pay him whatever he wants...

Holland was billed as bad at cap management from his time in Detroit. It's looking worse than I thought.

Where is the bad cap management when all the deals are like 1 year/2 year deals? It's not like he locked in everyone to long term deals. Short and sweet to temp plug the holes until more money gets freed up then he can start going after the big guns so to speak.

I am fine with the buy out. Holland believes there are a few defensemen like Jones and Bouchard who are ready to take Sekera's spot. They've toiled in the minors a while so clearly he thinks one of them can step up. It's just a matter if they can handle it. I am not a fan of the Smith deal but again, it's only a one year deal. I can guarantee you that he wasn't the first choice but the other free agent goaltenders probably said no. At the end of the day they needed a goaltender. Outside of that it sounds like he's cursing Chiarelli every day because there isn't much he can do until the cap space is freed up. lol

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
We don't know that he drafted the wrong player and won't know for years.

As for free agency and the job he did today, what was he supposed to do with the woeful mess that Chia left behind?

Sekera, Manning, Lucic, Brodziak, Koskinen, Gagner etc.-- you can't fix all of these overpriced contracts overnight. It will take a couple of years before some real daylight is seen at the end of the tunnel.

Add the Sekera buyout to things that need fixing...

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No way, I don't mind what he's doing. Seems to me that he is playing the long game, and some Oiler fans will hate that, but he's trying to ensure that 1) we constantly have top tier defense prospects coming up, and 2) isn't overspending to get contracts that are bad today and will be worse in 2 or 3 years. I hope that he has more bullets in the chamber to help the team out, but I won't complain about not signing any of the wingers that were signed today for the rates they were signed for.

Reactions: Cypress

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I never expected the team to have a realistic chance of making the playoffs next season. I'm annoyed because the draft and first day of free agency have amounted to nothing. Cap situation isn't any better. Prospect pool isn't any better relatively speaking. Roster is slightly worse, even at best. We've been in the position of needing time to fix the mess for years (really, for all but one season in the last 10 years) and the team still hasn't even started on it. At what point does it stop being acceptable for there to never be any attempt at progress beyond hoping the young guys get better and solve everything?
What was wrong with the draft? Pissy that we took a defenseman? You realize that #1 defensemen are basically impossible to find.

Reactions: MoontoScott

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Holland is going the long route with this team. Try to get rid of bad contracts, sign players on short term deals, and focus on drafting players with high potential even if they may take a longer time to develop.
But to summarize no he should not be fired; we just gave him 5 mil per year for multiple years.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
My only real problem with him so far is the Sekera buyout. He can redeem that move if he utilizes the 3M he opened up.

Everything else is probably Chia's fault with the mess he left here. Pulju can also gtfo

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Everyone we signed today would have been available in a week, maybe even cheaper. But he panicked with guys like Chiasson when he didn't get his top six fwd.

Now he has eroded what precious cap space we had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad