Should Holland be fired?

Should Holland be fired?

• Total voters

World Wanderer

Feb 6, 2007
I'd rather have gone with a younger goalie tbh. Oilers probably not making the playoffs next season so it's better to break in a new younger goalie.
it's kind of a bad thing to have an inexperienced goaltender and inexperienced defense. if the plan is to look to promote a few defenseman from the AHL this year, having a vet puck moving goaltender can help out quite a bit.

World Wanderer

Feb 6, 2007
Agreed that is a huge move going forward for cap flexibility, as Neal can be bought out at least. But he hasn’t really added anything significant to a roster that finished in the bottom 10 last year. Unless Neal can return to form our forward group looks horrendous, possibly the worst we have ever dressed. Which unreal to say with Mcdavid. Our D has a lot of question marks around Nurse and our young guys, even if Klefbom and Larsson can return to being a top pair?

Oilers have 4 defensemen in the AHL that are 22 and over. They are going to have to start moving upwards into the NHL. Persson, Lagesson, Bear and Jones are wavier eligible in the 2020-21 season. Meaning really, that this coming year, Oilers are going to have to have a long look to see what they have in these four at the NHL level. They either use them, lose them, or trade them.

So when you think about it, while it may not be the best thing team standings wise this year, but to set themselves up for 2020-21 some of this defensemen need to graduate, they can't all come up from the AHL in the 2020-21 season

Last edited:

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Oilers have 4 defensemen in the AHL that are 22 and over. They are going to have to start moving upwards into the NHL. Persson, Lagesson, Bear and Jones are wavier eligible in the 2020-21 season. Meaning really, that this coming year, Oilers are going to have to have a long look to see what they have in these four at the NHL level. They either use them, lose them, or trade them.

So when you think about it, while it may not be the best thing team standings wise this year, but to set themselves up for 2020-21 some of this defensemen need to graduate, they can't all come up from the AHL in the 2020-21 season

Agreed and Holland is essentially trying to just set himself up well prepared for next offseason. I think that’s why he has left our wings in the top 6 so bare, he wants to see what he has in Benson, Yamamoto, Puljuarvi if he stays, before he commits any assets long term

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Agreed and Holland is essentially trying to just set himself up well prepared for next offseason. I think that’s why he has left our wings in the top 6 so bare, he wants to see what he has in Benson, Yamamoto, Puljuarvi if he stays, before he commits any assets long term

Gotta think a couple of our prospects going to get a good look.. benson, Bouchard etc.,

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Didn't get Gusev? This is like the 15th fire-able offense by Holland this summer, accounting for things he did, things that happened that he didn't do instead of someone else and things that we all know are 100% possible that he could do based on online fan opinion that he just refuses to do either because he's too scared, too dumb, or just intentionally trolling us.

Just fire him already!

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
There's actually not that much roster space if Holland adds one more forward like a Brassard or Maroon for cheap.

Drai McDavid Neal
Brassard RNH Chiasson
Gagner Granlund Puljujarvi
Archibald Khaira Kassian
Nygard Brodziak Benson

Tyler Benson's got himself a hill to climb to make the team I think if that happens.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
There's actually not that much roster space if Holland adds one more forward like a Brassard or Maroon for cheap.

Drai McDavid Neal
Brassard RNH Chiasson
Archibald Khaira Kassian
Nygard Brodziak Benson

Tyler Benson's got himself a hill to climb to make the team I think if that happens.

Agreed, but your lineup is a lot different from what I would have if we signed Brassard.

Drai - McDavid - Kassian
Nygard - RNH - Neal
Granlund - Brassard - Chiasson
Khaira/Currie - Gagner/Haas/Khaira - Archibald

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT

Drai McDavid Neal
Brassard RNH Chiasson
Archibald Khaira Kassian
Nygard Brodziak Benson

There's nothing wrong with Benson having climb an uphill battle. Holland specifically stated that his main goal was to create competition within the bottom 9 forward spots and he's it's been executed pretty well so far with what little wiggle room Holland was left to work with.

Happy to see the Flames trolls being outvoted now, bringing us back to the 80/20 split the poll was at before the trade

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Guy comes in buys out Sekera drafts the wrong player , gets absolute **** help for McDavid and Draisaitl up front on the wing, then goes out and signs a canuck cast off who was so bad he was constantly ripped on Canucks radio stations for being a spoiled snotty untalented self entitled brat who's skillset is equivalent to a lucic.

I live in Vancouver... these guys are laughing at the Oilers signing Granlund. Shaking thier heads in the process. Oilers will Oil

Nice intro Holland.

Trash

Sooo
What u think of Holland now?

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
There seems to be a lot of backlash over what Holland has done the past couple of days and during the draft.

So it needs to be asked. Should Holland be fired over what has transpired over the last few weeks?
There seems to be a lot of backlash over what Holland has done the past couple of days and during the draft.

So it needs to be asked. Should Holland be fired over what has transpired over the last few weeks?

So, still fire him? Let the people who actually have a clue do their job. I said this back when u put this stupid blog on here and this looks good on you Armchair GMs

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Didn't get Gusev? This is like the 15th fire-able offense by Holland this summer, accounting for things he did, things that happened that he didn't do instead of someone else and things that we all know are 100% possible that he could do based on online fan opinion that he just refuses to do either because he's too scared, too dumb, or just intentionally trolling us.

Just fire him already!

Soooo, u still wanna fire him? Man we have people in our fan base that don’t have a clue,

Reactions: Declassified

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Soooo, u still wanna fire him? Man we have people in our fan base that don’t have a clue,

yep--the moment he announced Broberg as our draft pick--that was the signal he was playing the long game

People who are complaining STILL about Gusev the problem was and is--we could not afford his 4.5

Many want a quick fix and until we are out of cap hell there wont be any quick fixes.

Coming off the books next summer are(some of course will need to be replaced)

Kassian, Zack
Granlund, Markus
Haas, Gaëtan
Nygård, Joakim
Nygård, Joakim
Jurco, Tomas
Russell, Patrick
Cave, Colby
Nurse, Darnell
Manning, Brandon
Benning, Matthew
Persson, Joel
Bear, Ethan
Smith, Mike
Brodziak, Kyle
Archibald, Josh
Gagner, Sam
Gryba, Eric

So about 25 mill in spending we will have

For those complaining the sekera buy out whether or not the right D man was bought out--we can go around and around on him

but at the end of the day he gets injured a lot and it is not if but when will he get injured again

his minutes this year are going to Persson and Bear--I imagine Manning goes down when Larsson comes back

People may have wanted Russell gone--but Sekera made more sense due to his injury problems

for me Sekera buyout was about getting playing time for the kids on the back end

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Veteran back up to push Koskinen :thumbu:

Top 6 winger :thumbu:

Revamped bottom six :thumbu:

Improve team speed :thumbu:

Looks like Holland did his job with the ****ty hand he was dealt to start the off season.
But he bought out a third pairing D making 5.5m!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad