Should Holland be fired?

Should Holland be fired?

• Total voters

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
yep--the moment he announced Broberg as our draft pick--that was the signal he was playing the long game

People who are complaining STILL about Gusev the problem was and is--we could not afford his 4.5

Many want a quick fix and until we are out of cap hell there wont be any quick fixes.

Coming off the books next summer are(some of course will need to be replaced)

Kassian, Zack
Granlund, Markus
Haas, Gaëtan
Nygård, Joakim
Nygård, Joakim

Jurco, Tomas
Russell, Patrick
Cave, Colby
Nurse, Darnell
Manning, Brandon
Benning, Matthew
Persson, Joel
Bear, Ethan
Smith, Mike
Brodziak, Kyle
Archibald, Josh
Gagner, Sam
Gryba, Eric

So about 25 mill in spending we will have

For those complaining the sekera buy out whether or not the right D man was bought out--we can go around and around on him

but at the end of the day he gets injured a lot and it is not if but when will he get injured again

his minutes this year are going to Persson and Bear--I imagine Manning goes down when Larsson comes back

People may have wanted Russell gone--but Sekera made more sense due to his injury problems

for me Sekera buyout was about getting playing time for the kids on the back end

Agreed 100%. I’m just sick of the know it all armchair GM’s who all they do is complain.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Hoping so. Not if we buyout Neal as many are suggesting.

Think it's unlikely that we are buyout free with the way Holland is going. We would be buyout free in 2 years if not for Holland.

soooo, u still don’t like Neal or Holland?

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
You fail at sarcasm son. Is it a NS thing? ;)

it’s not sarcasm, it’s just pointing out to others how foolish our fan base can be. How can this be a NS thing.
What you and a few other keyboard assassins did not take in effect on July 1st is Holland was left with a mess and we had no money to work with. Holland does the right thing July 1st and stands pat. He drafts smart and takes a dman. The left Oiler fan base ( like yourself) screams for his head. Just curious, who did you want to come in, Trump? As I said, and it’s not sarcasm , let Holland do his job. Then you can complain and complain and people like myself and others on here with hockey knowledge can correct ya.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
it’s not sarcasm, it’s just pointing out to others how foolish our fan base can be. How can this be a NS thing.
What you and a few other keyboard assassins did not take in effect on July 1st is Holland was left with a mess and we had no money to work with. Holland does the right thing July 1st and stands pat. He drafts smart and takes a dman. The left Oiler fan base ( like yourself) screams for his head. Just curious, who did you want to come in, Trump? As I said, and it’s not sarcasm , let Holland do his job. Then you can complain and complain and people like myself and others on here with hockey knowledge can correct ya.

Just because you mentioned trump, now I'm curious. What would an NHL trade war look like?

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Well u and the other fella that likes this sure wanted him fired quick. As I said, let the people who actually know something do the work. SMH sometimes at this base. Holland has won 4 cups. Think about that ffs
This is some real smh stuff right here. Think about how to understand the nuances of the English language ffs. If you can’t do that, maybe refrain from challenging other posters so aggressively. Neither @oobga or I ever called for Holland to be fired.

Reactions: oobga

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Hahahaha omg. Just stop. If you want to call out posters for suggesting Holland be fired at least call out the ones who actually thought the man was doing a bad job. Like this one ...

No, but he's failed this offseason, so that doesn't bode well going forward.

Or this one ...

If Mike Smith is the best you can do for a goaltender then you aren’t trying hard enough.

When you are buying out one of your best dmen while doing nothing to replace him then you’ve already gone past stupid.

If this season is being forfeited because it’s ‘too hard’ to try and be better, and you are wasting another season of the best player on the planet, then you can be sure you’ve hired the wrong man for the job.

The guy you are jumping all over made a post that was so dripping in sarcasm any literate person would get drenched just reading it. Yet somehow it went straight over your head and you selected him as an example of ‘all that is wrong with Oiler fans’. Now you’re on here calling yourself a fan with ‘hockey knowledge’ ... lmfao.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Hahahaha omg. Just stop. If you want to call out posters for suggesting Holland be fired at least call out the ones who actually thought the man was doing a bad job. Like this one ...

Or this one ...

The guy you are jumping all over made a post that was so dripping in sarcasm any literate person would get drenched just reading it. Yet somehow it went straight over your head and you selected him as an example of ‘all that is wrong with Oiler fans’. Now you’re on here calling yourself a fan with ‘hockey knowledge’ ... lmfao.

I'll find my comments right from the start that said let the man do his job. Don't worry, I'll get the other ones. I find you are one of the harsh critics on this board and then you try and flip it into something like what is wrong with your English. Give your head a shake. When you don't get your way, you report people to the moderator. Suck it up princess, not everyone agrees with ya. As I said from the start, let Holland do his job

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Or this one ...

I jumped the gun, but my point was it seemed at that time that Lucic was here to stay and that was his major test of the offseason.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I jumped the gun, but my point was it seemed at that time that Lucic was here to stay and that was his major test of the offseason.
Sorry Jimmi. My bad. No offence intended. I just grabbed a couple posts at random from the middle of the thread. Basically I couldn’t understand why the poster a) bumped this thread in the first place, b) selected such poor targets for his gloating and c) couldn’t understand when his error was pointed out to him.

I believe this thread was started as a troll. I believe that no more than a half dozen posters actually thought Holland should be fired. And I believe that anyone who was judging the man on one off season when his hands were tied, or is judging him on three wins to start the season, is being very shortsighted. We will have a more clear measure of how up to the job he is in 2020 when he has some money to play with.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Sorry Jimmi. My bad. No offence intended. I just grabbed a couple posts at random from the middle of the thread. Basically I couldn’t understand why the poster a) bumped this thread in the first place, b) selected such poor targets for his gloating and c) couldn’t understand when his error was pointed out to him.

I believe this thread was started as a troll. I believe that no more than a half dozen posters actually thought Holland should be fired. And I believe that anyone who was judging the man on one off season when his hands were tied, or is judging him on three wins to start the season, is being very shortsighted. We will have a more clear measure of how up to the job he is in 2020 when he has some money to play with.
No offence taken, I didn't realize how early in the offseason it was (July 8th) I needed patience :laugh: Also, I've come around Broberg.

Reactions: harpoon

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

You seem to still not get the post of mine you quoted was 100% sarcasm :) I have been trolling this thread since the start (Should Holland be fired?)

I think it is indeed a NS thing using the 1 person sample size I have available ;P

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
I am still annoyed Hollsnd did not go out and get a top four D Persson and Bear are holding it down for now but that will not last

Mike Green has started the year with goose eggs in three games even after Deteoit hot start the ask there can not be huge for example

Oct 15, 2008

Or this one ...

I feel sorry for you. I hope that one day you can find better things to do with your time.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
.... There are a lot of great posters on this board (otherwise, why would I be here to read?).

But there are some posters that move from imagined calamity to imagined calamity. They rant about these imagined calamities for a period of time and move on to the next. 90% of what they rant about never comes to pass. The 10% of the time that it does, they trumpet their powers of foresight.

As I've said 100 times in here, this thread was and is ridiculous.

Reactions: Oilhawks and TB12

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
.... There are a lot of great posters on this board (otherwise, why would I be here to read?).

But there are some posters that move from imagined calamity to imagined calamity. They rant about these imagined calamities for a period of time and move on to the next. 90% of what they rant about never comes to pass. The 10% of the time that it does, they trumpet their powers of foresight.

As I've said 100 times in here, this thread was and is ridiculous.

This thread is what being a sports fan is all about :)

Getting mad about stuff you have no control over is a basic human need and sports are a great outlet for people. Sadly, it's not enough these days, and irrational anger has spread to every part of peoples lives. Imagine how much worse everything else would be without sports though ;)

Reactions: Oilhawks

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
This thread is what being a sports fan is all about :)

Getting mad about stuff you have no control over is a basic human need and sports are a great outlet for people. Sadly, it's not enough these days, and irrational anger has spread to every part of peoples lives. Imagine how much worse everything else would be without sports though ;)

You are right, sir. To me, this thread went embarrassingly too far. But I do see your point and agree with it.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Interesting stat here... but before this season started... I put the entire Oilers org... 27 forwards... 14 dmen... 3 goalies through an NHLE stat projection for this upcoming season based on stats from last season for all those players in the org. I also took into account projected potential man games lost to injuries based on averages from last season in the NHL and those final NHLE based projections for the Oilers came out to this:

GF 270
GA 247

Goals differential +23

Looking at what a +23 goals differential team does in terms of regular season results over the past 3 years in the NHL...

18/19
St Louis +24 ... 99 pts ... made the playoffs
Carolina +22 ... 99 pts ... made the playoffs

17/18
San Jose +23 ... 100 pts ... made the playoffs
Pittsburgh +22 ... 100 pts ... made the playoffs

16/17
Anaheim +23 ... 105 pts ... made the playoffs
Boston +22 ... 95 pts ... made the playoffs

Now obviously any stats projection based on past statistics is subject to regression/outperformance by players in the actual following season so any projection is of course only going to be accurate if players collectively play at the average levels of the past (last season in this case)... but overall there was/is reason to believe that this team could be in line for a ~100 pt season and a trip back to the playoffs based on the players currently in this org.

Now it's up to management and coaches to get the optimal performance out of the roster by having the best mix of players on the roster and the optimal players on lines/pairings in the right situations... but at least we know in theory that this team has the ingredients to be a very strong contender for a playoff spot.

Taking it a step further... Holland and Tippett might be just the right mix of intelligence and experience to get the best out of this org and the mix of players in it.

Reactions: Oilhawks

smytty

Aug 1, 2015
After watching Sekera in Dallas, I think Holland made the right call. He is not the same player that led the Oilers D in the playoffs a couple years ago. It's unfortunate he couldn't just trade him to Dallas with retention for scraps. That was his only questionable move so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->