Should Holland be fired?

Should Holland be fired?

• Total voters

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Cap management is critical.

Sekera buyout and this trade show a fix now philosophy that disregards the cap and the future.

Sick of short sighted poor management decisions.

If every manager we get keeps making these moves we will always be behind contract inflation and never be able to afford good complimentary players for a winning team.

It's not rocket science. At this rate resigning the crap team we have will be difficult.

Ugh. I just got to stop trying to explain this. It's simple straightforward math.

Which is better 17% credit card debt and the ability to spend 10k.

Or

5% line of credit and the ability to spend 5k.

Sure you can spend a whole lot more money with the credit card. Have more fun. Have lotsa crap.

Or you can save mad cash in the long run have less crap but a much higher quality of life. The chance to build a truly great team in this example.

These little "fixes" Holland is making just create issues in the future.
You're out to lunch and I'm sure you know that

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Cap management is critical.

Sekera buyout and this trade show a fix now philosophy that disregards the cap and the future.

Sick of short sighted poor management decisions.

If every manager we get keeps making these moves we will always be behind contract inflation and never be able to afford good complimentary players for a winning team.

It's not rocket science. At this rate resigning the crap team we have will be difficult.

Ugh. I just got to stop trying to explain this. It's simple straightforward math.

Which is better 17% credit card debt and the ability to spend 10k.

Or

5% line of credit and the ability to spend 5k.

Sure you can spend a whole lot more money with the credit card. Have more fun. Have lotsa crap.

Or you can save mad cash in the long run have less crap but a much higher quality of life. The chance to build a truly great team in this example.

These little "fixes" Holland is making just create issues in the future.
You have McDavid NOW. You need to have a team that can win NOW.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
You have McDavid NOW. You need to have a team that can win NOW.

We don't have a team on paper that can win now. Neal certainly does not change that.

We have McDavid in 4 years as well. His cap % goes down significantly in 4 years. Hopefully we get some good prospects in 4 years. In 4 years we should have a great window to do some damage.

In the mean time the parity in today's NHL allows even bad teams like the Oilers to potentially make the playoffs. Find chemistry. Get some coaching relevant to the current environment. Develop our prospects.

Let me bed clear. I am not saying tank. I'm saying suffer with what we got while pushing for the playoffs. Then in 4 years we have the space and freedom to actually make a difference.

Right now Holland is setting himself up nicely for another Chiarelli like death from a thousand cuts.

Reactions: Bangers

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
We don't have a team on paper that can win now. Neal certainly does not change that.

We have McDavid in 4 years as well. His cap % goes down significantly in 4 years. Hopefully we get some good prospects in 4 years. In 4 years we should have a great window to do some damage.

In the mean time the parity in today's NHL allows even bad teams like the Oilers to potentially make the playoffs. Find chemistry. Get some coaching relevant to the current environment. Develop our prospects.

Let me bed clear. I am not saying tank. I'm saying suffer with what we got while pushing for the playoffs. Then in 4 years we have the space and freedom to actually make a difference.

Right now Holland is setting himself up nicely for another Chiarelli like death from a thousand cuts.
In 4 years, Neal's cap hit is gone as well as all of the buyouts.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
You're out to lunch and I'm sure you know that

Lol.

I'm hyperbolic.

Fundamentally I think this trade is worth the risk. But if the move fails we are in a worse cap situation. Combined with the Sekera buyout these moves are concerning.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
In 4 years, Neal's cap hit is gone as well as all of the buyouts.

Hoping so. Not if we buyout Neal as many are suggesting.

Think it's unlikely that we are buyout free with the way Holland is going. We would be buyout free in 2 years if not for Holland.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Lol buys out a 6 million 3rd pairing dman and he’s Chia now.

Please.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
This morning I had eggs benedict.

Extra Hollandaise sauce in honor of this trade.

(And I make my wife eggs benny after I get laid. I still have no idea why my absolute goddess of a wife agreed to marry me).

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Hoping so. Not if we buyout Neal as many are suggesting.

Think it's unlikely that we are buyout free with the way Holland is going. We would be buyout free in 2 years if not for Holland.
I don't like the Sekera buyout either, but it's quite possible he has identified the window to win as the end of the Lucic (now Neal) contract. That line of thinking would infer that he was alright with the Sekera buyout ending at the same time to really load up for a few years of cup runs.

sundaysleftovers

Feb 28, 2013
Saskatchewan
These are all examples of over rationalization to put a positive spin on a bad situation.

Buying out Neal at 2.75ish mill for 4-6 years at the end of next year would be a bad use of cap space. Short sighted and foolish. I ****ing want at least a couple years with zero ****ing buyouts clogging our ability to field a true cup contender. At some point our GMs, Coaching, and the team just need to take what we have and make it work.

The expansion draft spin is ridiculous. We have three forwards we currently need to protect. It does not matter if we were forced to protect Lucic.

If Neal continues to suck Seattle won't take him, we can't trade him, buying him out hurts prime McDavid years, AND we are paying him MORE than we were Lucic...

Seriously. This was not a "good" trade on paper. Sideways move is being reasonable. With an outside chance of being good IF Neal returns to form.

Goalscoring in itself does not = winning. Neal can score 30 next year and make the team worse. The Oilers relative goal scoring last year was "okish" it's their team defense that stank. Which Neal will not help.

Expansion draft is not until June 2021. Holland signed a bunch of short term let's see what we have contracts. Team will look totally different after 2 seasons. How do you know who will need to be protected?

Even as near as next season with a few contracts coming off the books (Manning, Gagner, brodziak, etc) the team could have a couple more players to protect via free agency signing or trade with the extra cap space.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
I dunno what’s dumber.

Comparing Holland to Chiarelli because he bought out an aging and injury ridden Sekera

Or saying McDavid is overrated, would never score more than 25 goals.
What genius said those brilliant statements?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
People complaining about the Sekera and Lucic buyout also don't factor in that both had NMC's which handcuffed the Oilers coming in the Expansion Draft. Now both are gone, we have no more NMCs on our team. We can pick and choose who we want to protect, rather than be forced to do it.

Are you sure about that?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yup, but that was handed out by the neanderthal, it's not Holland's fault we're stuck with that.

I hear you.
I think Holland has done a great job so far. The Russell contract really isnt an issue so I am okay if he stays for this season.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Hollands job right now is to fix the mess that Chia left him with. So far he's done that and by next off season there will be no big mistakes on this team. Russel is probably gone next off season, Neal and Koskinen will get bought out if they have poor seasons.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Hollands job right now is to fix the mess that Chia left him with. So far he's done that and by next off season there will be no big mistakes on this team. Russel is probably gone next off season, Neal and Koskinen will get bought out if they have poor seasons.
Chia was so dumb, as was Oilers mgmt. for allowing that jackass to make any trade after Hall.

Oct 15, 2008
How many players can be ‘bought out’ or on the books at one time?

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017

Every year of having McDavid is precious. Holland is wisely trying to make the team as competitive as possible while also giving us more options for the future. The Oilers can't have any more throw away years, I think Holland has done a reasonable job of steadily fixing problems and building a sustainable winning team. The man has had a massive to do list and has done quite a lot of things right so far.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I don't remember who it was but a petition should be started so that naysayer who didn't like the Looch trade has to be renamed "HollandIsGod"

PS-Nothing personal just making wisecracks in a semi-serious fashion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad