Should Holland be fired?

Should Holland be fired?

• Total voters

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
After watching Sekera in Dallas, I think Holland made the right call. He is not the same player that led the Oilers D in the playoffs a couple years ago. It's unfortunate he couldn't just trade him to Dallas with retention for scraps. That was his only questionable move so far.
They only signed him to a 1 year deal, I suspect that extra year was more of hold up then a retention(though the Oilers probably would have had do that too)

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
I am still annoyed Hollsnd did not go out and get a top four D Persson and Bear are holding it down for now but that will not last

Mike Green has started the year with goose eggs in three games even after Deteoit hot start the ask there can not be huge for example

It seems that Holland made 2 great additions for free from Shl, Nygard with his speed will be at worst a forechecking 4th liner with pk duty. Persson looks solid so far and are a upgrade to Benning, will be better when adapted to Na rinks, will se more offense when he gets more comfortable, same goes with Nygard. Larsson also comes back(old Larsson)

Holland has made good moves from the mess Chia left him in, even Jurco looks good, but fleecing Flames was a masterpiece, I was only happy to get rid of the anchor Lucic, everything over 10 goals from Neal are a bonus!

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I feel sorry for you. I hope that one day you can find better things to do with your time.
it's @harpoon
check out his history....half his posts are about calling out other posters when they're wrong after the fact...yet never dares make a prediction himself

his second post in this very thread has nothing to do Holland...just calling out posters

no doubt had the Oilers started out 0-3 he'd be quoting posters who supported Holland

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
yes arguing with a couple of fellas now. They both wanted Holland fired ASAP after free agency. Now it’s a different story

I do not think some people truly understand how much cap hell we are still in and how Holland had to free up money

We had no money for free agents--we may have some next year

But it was the Broberg pick that told me he is looking for a full rebuild and it will take longer then most people would like to admit

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
After watching Sekera in Dallas, I think Holland made the right call. He is not the same player that led the Oilers D in the playoffs a couple years ago. It's unfortunate he couldn't just trade him to Dallas with retention for scraps. That was his only questionable move so far.
Not really related, but Lindell is averaging over 6 minutes a game on the PK. Unreal

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Man...not many threads look dumber as time moves forward but this thread sure does.
To think that there were posters that were calling Holland trash and suggesting that he failed.

Instead of waiting to see how things played out some posters would rather embarrass themselves I guess. :dunno:

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
yes arguing with a couple of fellas now. They both wanted Holland fired ASAP after free agency. Now it’s a different story
I still don’t think you understand the sarcastic tone of the post you choose to use as call out material. It was 100% sarcasm meant to point out how insane some of the actual Holland haters posts were.

Reactions: McCupofOil

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Didn't get Gusev? This is like the 15th fire-able offense by Holland this summer, accounting for things he did, things that happened that he didn't do instead of someone else and things that we all know are 100% possible that he could do based on online fan opinion that he just refuses to do either because he's too scared, too dumb, or just intentionally trolling us.

Just fire him already!

This is the post I was referring to. Obvious sarcasm. Poor @oobga. He must feel like Randy Marsh right now.

Reactions: oobga

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
I voted yes strictly to poke fun at the cult of positivity who took this thread seriously.
giphy.gif

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
it's @harpoon
check out his history....half his posts are about calling out other posters when they're wrong after the fact...yet never dares make a prediction himself
At least half :rolleyes: I don’t see myself as Nostradamus or some big hockey brain when it comes to prospects so I try to confine my posts to what is actually happening. I know making half cocked predictions is your thing ... what can I say, I guess we all utilize the site in our own way.

From time to time though I do feel strongly enough about something to make a prediction. I predicted Dubnyk would be out of the league within a year when the Oilers dumped him. I predicted Chiarelli would be an absolute disaster for the team the day he traded for Reinhart. And more recently I predicted Bear would make this roster over Jones. Those are all part of my post history which you seem so intimately familiar with.
his second post in this very thread has nothing to do Holland...just calling out posters
Zero apologies for calling out posters like you and Tad and iatl who shilled for Chiarelli in the most aggressive and arrogant manner possible. At least those other guys didn’t change their handle to distance themselves from their ‘predictions’. :laugh:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It seems that Holland made 2 great additions for free from Shl, Nygard with his speed will be at worst a forechecking 4th liner with pk duty. Persson looks solid so far and are a upgrade to Benning, will be better when adapted to Na rinks, will se more offense when he gets more comfortable, same goes with Nygard. Larsson also comes back(old Larsson)

Holland has made good moves from the mess Chia left him in, even Jurco looks good, but fleecing Flames was a masterpiece, I was only happy to get rid of the anchor Lucic, everything over 10 goals from Neal are a bonus!
Persson is a Chiarelli add.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
At least half :rolleyes: I don’t see myself as Nostradamus or some big hockey brain when it comes to prospects so I try to confine my posts to what is actually happening. I know making half cocked predictions is your thing ... what can I say, I guess we all utilize the site in our own way.
no you don't...you're more of a "poster police"...you're here to keep other posters in line when they make outlandish claims...for whatever reason
Zero apologies for calling out posters like you and Tad and iatl who shilled for Chiarelli in the most aggressive and arrogant manner possible.
still rattles you eh? lmao :laugh:
zero apologies are having the courage of my convictions..unlike you who takes a neutral stance yet has the stones to call someone out
you never ripped Holland in this thread nor defended him...yet have the audacity to call out posters..what an act of cowardice
At least those other guys didn’t change their handle to distance themselves from their ‘predictions’. :laugh:
yeah, that's why I changed my username....you realize my new username appears in old threads right? :laugh:

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Agreed 100%. I’m just sick of the know it all armchair GM’s who all they do is complain.

Personally, I prefer posters that complain (as long as they have rational arguments) to posters who come here to grandstand on topics or whinge about other posters.

Personal preference, I guess.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I do not think some people truly understand how much cap hell we are still in and how Holland had to free up money

We had no money for free agents--we may have some next year

But it was the Broberg pick that told me he is looking for a full rebuild and it will take longer then most people would like to admit

@jumptheshark
Me and you are usually on the same page when it comes to hockey talk . Looks like we have been following the Oilers for a long time. I have since 1st season. I was 10 in 1979. I remember they made the playoffs and got beat . I was crying my eyes out. I know , I know, wussy. What do I expect I was 10. Almost cried in 06. Felt so bad for Smitty. I thought good times are here again. Boy was I wrong for the next decade.
I truly think Holland will fix this mess. You always build your defence first. Look at the Blues last year, great defence . When the Islanders started building their team in the 70’s Torrey drafted Defence and built from the backend out. In 2-3 years, our defence will be top 5 in league

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting

From time to time though I do feel strongly enough about something to make a prediction. I predicted Dubnyk would be out of the league within a year when the Oilers dumped him. I predicted Chiarelli would be an absolute disaster for the team the day he traded for Reinhart. And more recently I predicted Bear would make this roster over Jones. Those are all part of my post history which you seem so intimately familiar with.
Zero apologies for calling out posters like you and Tad and iatl who shilled for Chiarelli in the most aggressive and arrogant manner possible. At least those other guys didn’t change their handle to distance themselves from their ‘predictions’. :laugh:

We both knew Chiarelli would be a disaster and got attacked for having that view, for simply knowing how bad his ideas were, and that "The price you have to pay" was a bitter pill that was going to remain so.

Hockey fandom isn't an austerity measure. It isn't puritanism. Its isn't incumbent to suffer years of misery before any benefit. But Oilers world would sure have you believe that in rebuilditis and through to Eakins and Chiarelli idiot hires. Which I called both out of scathingly. Eakins was in over his head from the word go. He wasn't ready for the NHL and had not paid the dues yet, had not got enough experience. He was making it up as he went along and it was indelibly clear. Chiarelli was lucky enough to land in a good situation in Boston, but he took credit anyway, and probably still thinks he's a managerial wizard.

In anycase Harpoon is the only poster on this board, the only one, that never rolled on Eberle. By far not the only thing Harpoon has been right on. He's deserving of more respect than is appearing in this exchange. Ironically from one poster who has rarely been right.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Man...not many threads look dumber as time moves forward but this thread sure does.
To think that there were posters that were calling Holland trash and suggesting that he failed.

Instead of waiting to see how things played out some posters would rather embarrass themselves I guess. :dunno:

for me, as I have posted a few times(yes broken record ) the moment Broberg was drafted it was a message that Holland was not doing the quick fix and was not going to splash out a lot of money(that we did not have)

we have and had a lot of players other teams do not want and to get where we want to be it will take a while

I look at the Broberg pick and think it takes D longer to develop then FWD and I think that in 4 to 5 years time--Holland has Bouchard-Broberg down as out number 1 pairing.

we will still have Leon and McDavid

we might have Pizza boy and Yamamoto doing stuff

yes a lot of what ifs--but I can see the plan

The biggest issue will be goaltending, now and in the future

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->