Player Discussion Shea Weber: The Big C

Status
Not open for further replies.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
He's been great so far this season , really surprising me , I didn't think he still had this level of production in him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's been great so far this season , really surprising me , I didn't think he still had this level of production in him.

He's still the same guy we acquired 4 years ago and it's reasonable to assume up and down years in his 30's. He's been pretty consistent though but this year, it looks like he stepped up to another level.

It's a long season. Not even half way point yet

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
He's still the same guy we acquired 4 years ago and it's reasonable to assume up and down years in his 30's. He's been pretty consistent though but this year, it looks like he stepped up to another level.

Thinking it had more to do with the knee surgery now hes had plenty time to recoup and back to his old self.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008

He's on pace to produce his best career year at 34 , that's not something anybody would have expected when we traded for him. I don't think it's reasonable to say this was expected , especially after going through a significant injury. He's 8 points off from last year with 27 games to spare.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's on pace to produce his best career year at 34 , that's not something anybody would have expected when we traded for him. I don't think it's reasonable to say this was expected , especially after going through a significant injury. He's 8 points off from last year with 27 games to spare.

I always had faith in him and defended his value for 4 years now. I doubt he gets 66 pts and 26 goals but that would be bonus.

All the injury did is give him rest and much needed time off for the heavy work load he had in his career. He still lacks foot speed at times but that's been the case before he came to Montreal. When you look past that, he brings a lot to the table game after game.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
yeah cause clearly most of his goals comes from bombs at the blue line... like tonight I guess :dunno:

(seriously people, if you like him SOOOO much, why arent you watching him play ??)

My post had nothing to do with his goal tonight...

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Weber was my favorite Dman back when his prototype was more ideal. Back in the Komisarek days, I was dreaming of having him and Markov here together.
That's no longer the case though. As solid as he's been, I much rather have better puck movers as #1D.

This is how you rebuild properly, trade while the stock is high. Webs would fetch a nice return from a contender, but especially from the Oilers. I say this a Weber fan, but it would be nice to see him goto a contender

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
This is how you rebuild properly, trade while the stock is high. Webs would fetch a nice return from a contender, but especially from the Oilers. I say this a Weber fan, but it would be nice to see him goto a contender
I'm not opposed to it but I'd move Petry instead.

Reactions: CDN24

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
I'm not opposed to it but I'd move Petry instead.

Honestly though, no contender wants Jeffy , what does he deliver? Flawed defensively, and not a great year for him offensively. Last year, yes... very tradeable. This year? You think?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Funny how that wraparound had absolutely nothing to do with his "shot". :laugh:

I wouldnt be shocked if thats his first ever wraparound goal of his career.

Its not something you see from dmen in general, let alone a 35 year old one.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I always had faith in him and defended his value for 4 years now. I doubt he gets 66 pts and 26 goals but that would be bonus.

All the injury did is give him rest and much needed time off for the heavy work load he had in his career. He still lacks foot speed at times but that's been the case before he came to Montreal. When you look past that, he brings a lot to the table game after game.

I don't agree that time off after an injury can make you produce better than you have in your healthy prime...(Markov came back and looked better but he was very far from producing career numbers). Since neither of us can prove anything , let's just leave it at that.

Last edited:

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Honestly though, no contender wants Jeffy , what does he deliver? Flawed defensively, and not a great year for him offensively. Last year, yes... very tradeable. This year? You think?

Yes of course he still has lots of value. He has been top 4, top pair quality for 4 years. A bad stretch of 15 games - and agreed he has looked atrocious- doesn’t change that. No way that level of play continues and he has looked much better last few.

Reactions: Habs

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I don't think a rough stretch will hurt his value too much. He's still a good 3rd dman on any team in the league. Next year is when his value will decline fast.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Been saying it for years but Prime Weber with a strong forward group and an offensive role would have been a Norris winning machine.

Easy to forget he played behind horrible forward groups - first line C’s like Legwand, Sullivan. Kostitsyn top scorer followed by Erat lol.

His two Norris second place finishes he basically tied for the team lead in points. Lidstrom would put up 10-20 more points playing behind Datsyuk, Shanny, Hull, Zetterberg, Fedorov.

Put Weber on those Wings teams and he has Lidstrom like numbers, multiple Norris and would be seen as an all time great. No, he is not better then Lidstrom but Lidstrom had it pretty good in Deteoit.

Its a tragedy that Weber wasted his best years in Nashville, look at those lineups, they are all time bad.

Reactions: the

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think a rough stretch will hurt his value too much. He's still a good 3rd dman on any team in the league. Next year is when his value will decline fast.

It would be a quick and forgiving turnaround if a competent GM made a few moves here. Do Webs or Petry have NTC?

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Man, if they can sell high on him the return could set the franchise up for years.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm not sure Oilers have enough to give up, I'm looking more at Colorado who could definitely use a seasoned solid guy like him on their back end. They have some good prospects to spare, especially on D.

Maliki2

Mar 31, 2005
Saint Albans, VT
At this point it is a definitive win for Montreal. PK was always grossly overrated as was backed up by back to back player's polls. Throw in his self promoting nonsense that his teammates can't stand compared to the reverence showed to Weber league wide by his peers and it will take a major injury to turn this trade into Subban's favor.

Totally agree. Best about this it silenced those PK lovers. PK was by far one of the most overrated players to don the crest. So glad he took his side show somewhere else. His decline has come much quicker than anyone could have thought.

Reactions: donghabs98

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
My post had nothing to do with his goal tonight...
at least it wasnt just another stupid post thinking people who see the whole thing differently are automatically Subban fans... that's a start I guess :help:

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Totally agree. Best about this it silenced those PK lovers. PK was by far one of the most overrated players to don the crest. So glad he took his side show somewhere else. His decline has come much quicker than anyone could have thought.
I thought the reaction by some on the trade was overblown in terms of Weber's perceived value in relation to Subban but I never expected Subban to regress the way he has. Injuries are no doubt a factor but still, he's not putting up points or generating offense which is why any coach or GM would accept his defensive liabilities.

I personally think Weber can maintain a level around or slightly under where he is now untill age 36. Its 37 and over where things will get interesting. Will he remain effective like Chara or regress.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

I don't know about that. His last year with us though was a pretty marked regression though. His first full year with us he looked like a budding superstar. I feel like when he added the weight it kind of hampered him even though he still had some really good years after that. Think though it lowered his ceiling.

I fully expect Weber to slow down though. Like his first year with us. He looked amazing at the start but as the regular season winded down he didn't look so great. Still think that he was our 2nd best player in the playoffs though behind Radulov. He was like an inch away from pulling off some late game theatrics where he could've tied up the game late. The last 3 games or so of the series every one looked bad.

Reactions: the
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad