Player Discussion Shea Weber: The Big C

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
He absolutely crushed Burakovsky later on...

And please stop with this ****ing "Weber intimidation stare" bs. Thats just something the jagaloons angry about the trade conjured up after they were stupid enough to take what was an obvious joke seriously.
the number of people who say it seriously is quite impressive actually.

Reality : some people MAY have started the stare thing as a joke, but given the sheer adoration for Weber type of D and the mythical reputation he has, it was quickly taken and repeated seriously. They're probably the kind to say this guy by simply entering the room snaps you into shape or something... you know...

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
the number of people who say it seriously is quite impressive actually.

Reality : some people MAY have started the stare thing as a joke, but given the sheer adoration for Weber type of D and the mythical reputation he has, it was quickly taken and repeated seriously. They're probably the kind to say this guy by simply entering the room snaps you into shape or something... you know...
Perhaps. I remember people talking about his iconic glare, or crazy eyes as I call it, and jokingly saying it could stare into people's soul and scare them or whatever. If people took that seriously then they're pretty oblivious to sarcasm. I feel like if anyone took it for gospel, it would have been Belial lol.

He's a strong guy with a wicked shot, a penchant to be a little liberal with the stick work and a tendency to crash and bang in the corners. That's where the "intimidation" comes from. Not the stare lol. I wouldn't want to be standing close to him as he's winding one up anyways.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Perhaps. I remember people talking about his iconic glare, or crazy eyes as I call it, and jokingly saying it could stare into people's soul and scare them or whatever. If people took that seriously then they're pretty oblivious to sarcasm. I feel like if anyone took it for gospel, it would have been Belial lol.

He's a strong guy with a wicked shot, a penchant to be a little liberal with the stick work and a tendency to crash and bang in the corners. That's where the "intimidation" comes from. Not the stare lol. I wouldn't want to be standing close to him as he's winding one up anyways.

The sarcasm evolved in reply to the initial claims about his leadership and how his mere presence made players better and tougher. Babcock was cited as an apostle if this faith.

There was also a belief that nobody would take liberties with our players anymore. That claim was completely unfair, as proven by Lucic being on the ice when Savard got written off.

People still cite the positive impact of his leadership despite missing the playoffs and having an 8 game losing streak. I don’t doubt that he is a leader, I just don’t think it has much of an impact on a team absolutely lacking talent.

Reactions: Old Drunk Guy

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
The sarcasm evolved in reply to the initial claims about his leadership and how his mere presence made players better and tougher. Babcock was cited as an apostle if this faith.

There was also a belief that nobody would take liberties with our players anymore. That claim was completely unfair, as proven by Lucic being on the ice when Savard got written off.

People still cite the positive impact of his leadership despite missing the playoffs and having an 8 game losing streak. I don’t doubt that he is a leader, I just don’t think it has much of an impact on a team absolutely lacking talent.
Can't really measure the impact it has. I've seen talented teams implode in the past due toxicity and egos running rampant. We certainly don't have the talent to be competitive but a lot of teams would surely love to have guys with Weber's attitude and commitment.

Also, things like these may seem minor but they mean a lot to the rookies. Their was also the one with him wearing the Finland jersey after losing a bet to KK

Reactions: jaffy27

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

true :laugh:

Reactions: DangerDave

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Can't really measure the impact it has. I've seen talented teams implode in the past due toxicity and egos running rampant. We certainly don't have the talent to be competitive but a lot of teams would surely love to have guys with Weber's attitude and commitment.

Also, things like these may seem minor but they mean a lot to the rookies. Their was also the one with him wearing the Finland jersey after losing a bet to KK

no offense but if you think it's some kind of feat to honour a bet or play video games you very easily impressed.

do not be surprised to learn other players play video games, even very old 30 something veterans, it happens, pretty often I'd guess... ;)

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
no offense but if you think it's some kind of feat to honour a bet or play video games you very easily impressed.

do not be surprised to learn other players play video games, even very old 30 something veterans, it happens, pretty often I'd guess... ;)
Lol I'm not impressed by him playing video games but rather that he takes time out of his busy schedule to cook and chill with the rookies. Like I said, it may not seem like much but it means a lot to Suzuki, Fleury, Mete and KK. They're good kids and hopefully Dad will keep em that way :laugh:

I bet they played NBA Jam or NHL 99 lol

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016

Domi is back to playing like a punk, Price had his worst month in a long time, nd hey lost eight straight. So it is really hard to measure the impact because it can’t be much.

That’s not a shot at Weber, it’s pointing out that fans gushing about leadership is pretty much pointless.

Which teams have you seen implode, and who was responsible for the egos and toxicity?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Lol I'm not impressed by him playing video games but rather that he takes time out of his busy schedule to cook and chill with the rookies. Like I said, it may not seem like much but it means a lot to Suzuki, Fleury, Mete and KK. They're good kids and hopefully Dad will keep em that way :laugh:

I bet they played NBA Jam or NHL 99 lol
If anything, it tells more about the rookies than it does Weber. I mean it's good that he does that stuff, thing is, pretty sure every team has a few veterans (not even C or A) who will do stuff with/for the younger players.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
honouring a bet, playing video games, we're pretty far from the mythical man mountain don't you think ??

I didn't know we are talking about mythical figures, but I've really liked him as a player throughout his career and considering the way he is, its kind of a funny image thinking of him interacting with the rookies in that way.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I didn't know we are talking about mythical figures, but I've really liked him as a player throughout his career and considering the way he is, its kind of a funny image thinking of him interacting with the rookies in that way.
the way he is ??

more like the way you guys think he is... man mountain, intangibles, the stare, the myth, the legendary C. This is what most people think he is.
(and I'm not talking about the idiots who have yet to notice the guy changed the way he played this season 'Nah! he always been that way" lol)

Reality : hockey player with SOME leadership abilities.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
the way he is ??

more like the way you guys think he is... man mountain, intangibles, the stare, the myth, the legendary C. This is what most people think he is.
(and I'm not talking about the idiots who have yet to notice the guy changed the way he played this season 'Nah! he always been that way" lol)

Of course, its the perception. Like Bob Gainey has this perception of having one expression for every mood he is in. Whether its perception or reality, its still funny.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
the way he is ??

The "mythology" is perpetuated primarily by those who want to discredit Weber for not living up to the mythology. Some of these guys also troll on Chuck Norris forums.

1okyi4.jpg

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I'm amazed that people are still talking about the Weber stare thing.

Just because some people took it seriously doesn't mean it needs to be brought up all the time.

Some people believe the world is flat, I'm not going to bring it up every time someone asks for directions.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I'm amazed that people are still talking about the Weber stare thing.

Just because some people took it seriously doesn't mean it needs to be brought up all the time.

Some people believe the world is flat, I'm not going to bring it up every time someone asks for directions.

I think the journalists did not help either. They were pushing the narrative a lot and obviously lot of fans believed it. Most of the journalists presented Weber as the Crosby of dmen and honestly it's not even close to it. Personally i'm done discussing the whole thing. Weber is what he is. An okay number 1, outstanding number 2, terrible contract and a guy who is sadly getting close to the 35 years old wall.

I think way too much people focus on the players involved in MB's trades and not enough on the lack of vision and direction of his management. How the hell can a GM be fine with wasting Price's and Weber's remaining "prime years"? Two guys who one day might enter the HOF. The team around them is awful.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

When the team is bad, expect more feelgood stories from the habs PR extension that is Eric Engels. Pierre Lebrun is not far behind in his love of Bergevin and the habs. It is nauseating when you realize that it is nothing more than feeble attempts at propping up a failure of a gm in an attempt to stay in the good graces of "the family". Anyone with a grain of intelligence can see through it Unless of course, the Facebook and Reddit crowd are cheering at the top of their cyber lungs about it.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
When the team is bad, expect more feelgood stories from the habs PR extension that is Eric Engels. Pierre Lebrun is not far behind in his love of Bergevin and the habs. It is nauseating when you realize that it is nothing more than feeble attempts at propping up a failure of a gm in an attempt to stay in the good graces of "the family". Anyone with a grain of intelligence can see through it Unless of course, the Facebook and Reddit crowd are cheering at the top of their cyber lungs about it.
yup, during the week I'm stuck listening to 98.5 for sports stuff since I work during evenings and it's painfull to hear sometimes.

they're always trying to defend Bergevin/Julien, for pretty much everything, they constantly invent stuff to do so. Bunch of ass kissers.

Reactions: OldCraig71

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
yup, during the week I'm stuck listening to 98.5 for sports stuff since I work during evenings and it's painfull to hear sometimes.

they're always trying to defend Bergevin/Julien, for pretty much everything, they constantly invent stuff to do so. Bunch of ass kissers.
Bergevin will not be fired, no matter how much many of us want it, he is protected and the media is telling us that on a daily basis. It's only a matter of time before the critical analyzations are gone from this site as well, it already is when it comes to certain topics.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Bergevin will not be fired, no matter how much many of us want it, he is protected and the media is telling us that on a daily basis. It's only a matter of time before the critical analyzations are gone from this site as well, it already is when it comes to certain topics.
medias are protecting him a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->