Sharks fire Peter DeBoer, Bob Boughner named interim head coach

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Yeah and also signed with them afterwards.

Great - so you have one example of someone choosing SJ, not exactly a rock solid argument. We could go back and forth on picking players for days if you'd like. I might run out sooner though...

I'm more interested in how you will debunk my main statement of how the Sharks can't tank.
His deal still had four years left on it when he was dealt to LA, it was renegotiated money wise but the term was there to begin with

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
The criticisms from Leafs fans in regards to the style of play under Babcock were the same that Sharks fans had about PDB:
  • Little to no dzone structure
  • Relying on stretch pass breakouts
  • Perimeter shooting.
The issue with the Sharks isn't the 'hard ass' coach, it's the systems are dated, don't work, and aren't suited to the current playing roster.
Babs has run different styles in Anaheim Detroit and Toronto. He's still a sharp guy. If the sharks hired him I'm sure it wouldn't be the same formula he used in Toronto.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Babs has run different styles in Anaheim Detroit and Toronto. He's still a sharp guy. If the sharks hired him I'm sure it wouldn't be the same formula he used in Toronto.

He clearly did not adjust what he was doing with the Leafs once it first stopped working . I remember something similar with the Wings. Babs is the kind of guy who settles for a system he wants to run and sticks with it once he decided on it .

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
He clearly did not adjust what he was doing with the Leafs once it first stopped working . I remember something similar with the Wings. Babs is the kind of guy who settles for a system he wants to run and sticks with it once he decided on it .
You are right and yes it did happen with the wings. but you know what else happened with the wings, multiple championships. and for the ducks it was some good runs. I think his time in Toronto was unfortunate but it doesn't make him any less of a coach. I think San Jose would be a pretty good landing spot for him.

PackShark

Oct 7, 2017
The criticisms from Leafs fans in regards to the style of play under Babcock were the same that Sharks fans had about PDB:
  • Little to no dzone structure
  • Relying on stretch pass breakouts
  • Perimeter shooting.
The issue with the Sharks isn't the 'hard ass' coach, it's the systems are dated, don't work, and aren't suited to the current playing roster.

Thank you for stating this. Why I made my original statement as to why San Jose doesn’t need Babs

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

His comments when he just got hired vs the actual results are a scary difference.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
You are right and yes it did happen with the wings. but you know what else happened with the wings, multiple championships. and for the ducks it was some good runs. I think his time in Toronto was unfortunate but it doesn't make him any less of a coach. I think San Jose would be a pretty good landing spot for him.

1 Championship happened with the Wings not multiple . I do not think his approach to gameplaning is still as effective as it was 10 years ago. There is clearly way more switching things up needed these days . I also do not think some of the bigger names on Sharks roster would respond well to Babcocks style of player management.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
1 Championship happened with the Wings not multiple . I do not think his approach to gameplaning is still as effective as it was 10 years ago. There is clearly way more switching things up needed these days . I also do not think some of the bigger names on Sharks roster would respond well to Babcocks style of player management.
Sorry, just checked and you are right about only one championship. And I agree he has always been more of a player manager than a game manager and i think you are absolutely right that there probably are some players in San Jose that would not take well to him, but is that the players fault or the coach?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Sorry, just checked and you are right about only one championship. And I agree he has always been more of a player manager than a game manager and i think you are absolutely right that there probably are some players in San Jose that would not take well to him, but is that the players fault or the coach?

Many Sharks Players are signed to their big longterm contracts with all kinds of clauses. Can't hire a guy who is guaranteed to get into problems with parts of the roster. There isn't much wiggle room with the Sharks to turn the roster over and make it work with someone like Babcock.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Many Sharks Players are signed to their big longterm contracts with all kinds of clauses. Can't hire a guy who is guaranteed to get into problems with parts of the roster. There isn't much wiggle room with the Sharks to turn the roster over and make it work with someone like Babcock.
Well it needs to happen and San Jose needs somebody to stir the pot. The team is looking like the Canucks from 2012, but with less skill.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Well it needs to happen and San Jose needs somebody to stir the pot. The team is looking like the Canucks from 2012.

Yeah well and then they hired a hardass in Torts and that was a massive disaster . That completely ended their window

paragon

May 5, 2010
Yeah sometimes being they key. He’s the second longest tenured GM in the league right behind another can’t-get-****-done guy in Poile, but hey whatever. The rest of the league is happy to let these guys keep failing at life for eternity. Makes everyone else’s job easier. Wilson should have been gone after this:
Ridiculous. It's insanely hard to win. You can do everything right and still lose. Imo Wilson is one of the best GMs out there.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Yeah well and then they hired a hardass in Torts and that was a massive disaster . That completely ended their window
There is no pain free way of dealing with players who have massive amounts of entitlement, but the best way to do it from what I've witnessed is like a band-aid, quick and hard because taking your time is just going to make the pain worse. San Jose needs a hard ass coach, and they need to move uncoachable players.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
There is no pain free way of dealing with players who have massive amounts of entitlement, but the best way to do it from what I've witnessed is like a band-aid, quick and hard because taking your time is just going to make the pain worse. San Jose needs a hard ass coach, and they need to move uncoachable players.

Yeah well good luck with that with the NMC and NTC's on some of the bigger contracts . The players are in control there.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019

He can't be any less of a coach because there's nowhere down left to go. He has been absolutely terrible for a decade now, carried to his one championship by some of the greatest players to ever play the game in Detroit. He has no concept of strategy, tactics, player management, does not treat his players fairly and goes out of his way to find ways to humiliate or mindf*** them, which is terrible for team morale and for having players be willing to stick with the team. He settles on a terrible outdated system and does not budge no matter what personnel he has to work with and no matter how it gets countered by any team with a slightly intelligent and tactically flexible coach, and never shoulders any responsibility for his failures

San Jose would unironically be better off hiring Dan Bylsma or Barry Melrose. Literally the only coach who'd be a worse hire for them is Bill Peters.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
He can't be any less of a coach because there's nowhere down left to go. He has been absolutely terrible for a decade now, carried to his one championship by some of the greatest players to ever play the game in Detroit. He has no concept of strategy, tactics, player management, does not treat his players fairly and goes out of his way to find ways to humiliate or mind**** them, which is terrible for team morale and for having players be willing to stick with the team. He settles on a terrible outdated system and does not budge no matter what personnel he has to work with and no matter how it gets countered by any team with a slightly intelligent and tactically flexible coach, and never shoulders any responsibility for his failures

San Jose would unironically be better off hiring Dan Bylsma or Barry Melrose. Literally the only coach who'd be a worse hire for them is Bill Peters.
Absolutely incorrect. He and JSG took an average Ducks team to game 7 in the SCF and he paved the way for Carlyle to take them all the way. He has won at every level and some media character assassination wont ever take that away.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Absolutely incorrect. He and JSG took an average Ducks team to game 7 in the SCF and he paved the way for Carlyle to take them all the way. He has won at every level and some media character assassination wont ever take that away.

No . Those two rosters were very different. What paved the way to win was Pronger and Niedermayer ending up with the Ducks and some highend young guys becoming key players ( Perry , Getzlaf ) . Babcocks finals run in 03 had close to zero implications for their Ducks title run 4 years later

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Toronto fan - Babcock is a very good coach, who does a lot of things right, smart guy, knows the game well, and attempts to teach his players how to play the game properly.

But... he needs some time away from the game, to reflect on his weaknesses, if he is capable of that. He needs to become more flexible, park the ego, and modernize some of his style. He needs to adapt to his players, not attempt to fit square pegs, in round holes.

Hiring Babcock now, wouldn't be a good move. But, with some time away from the game, time to think... I think he'll improve, and be a quality guy again, in a few years. Now is not the time.

---------------------

As far as the firing is concerned, it's amazing to see someone fired... and the announcement be... well, he's fired, but, he didn't do anything bad, nothing offensive... he just sucked.. It's kind of humourous.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
No . Those two rosters were very different. What paved the way to win was Pronger and Niedermayer ending up with the Ducks and some highend young guys becoming key players ( Perry , Getzlaf ) . Babcocks finals run in 03 had close to zero implications for their Ducks title run 4 years later
I disagree. I think that having an asshole coach actually builds a foundation of drive for success for younger players. And not only that, but it gives the lockerroom an air of responsibility. The sharks are playing like its a vacation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad