Sharks fire Peter DeBoer, Bob Boughner named interim head coach

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Absolutely incorrect. He and JSG took an average Ducks team to game 7 in the SCF and he paved the way for Carlyle to take them all the way. He has won at every level and some media character assassination wont ever take that away.

He had one run on the back of Giguere which made his entire career. He then took the best two way roster in the league and underachieved with it for all but 2 years and thenssaid f it and made the organization into Dan Cleary charity. During his time with the Leafs they were playing measurably better when winging it than when following his "system"

Reactions: Sandisfan

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Absolutely incorrect. He and JSG took an average Ducks team to game 7 in the SCF and he paved the way for Carlyle to take them all the way. He has won at every level and some media character assassination wont ever take that away.
Who are you, his dad? "Paved the way for Carlyle" what does that mean? I'll tell you what paved the way for Carlyle to take them all the way. Burke getting Pronger and Niedermayer.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Who are you, his dad? "Paved the way for Carlyle" what does that mean? I'll tell you what paved the way for Carlyle to take them all the way. Burke getting Pronger and Niedermayer.

That moment when Kranix makes a comment so savage he needs to make Macho Man his avatar again...

Gat dayum just shut it down boys

Reactions: Kranix

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
So to sum up - Coach gets fired for a team full of lazy pylons, a goaltending tandem that’s ECHL level talent at best, AND have only a hair under 350k in cap space.

The wrong person was fired.

Lazy summary. The team certainly has personnel problems you can lay at the feet of DW but the coach is also not doing his job when he should be making his system fit the personnel he has rather than forcing it to be a certain way. The goalies playing terribly is in large part because of how they design the system both offensively and defensively. And when things have been shown to go wrong, there is little to no adjustments made to alleviate problems. Plus, a coach will simply hit his expiration date regardless and not be heard by the players. That's just a reality of pro sports. It may be time to move on from DW at the end of the year but moving on from DeBoer was likely overdue. It was only extended by favorable playoff results that they probably shouldn't have gotten with how they were playing down the stretch of last year and the injuries on top of that.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I mean, he was probably past his shelf life, but I also think that roster has far too serious flaws to overcome.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Yeah and also signed with them afterwards.

Great - so you have one example of someone choosing SJ, not exactly a rock solid argument. We could go back and forth on picking players for days if you'd like. I might run out sooner though...

I'm more interested in how you will debunk my main statement of how the Sharks can't tank.

There's no debunking something you fabricated based on absolutely nothing. The Coyotes can stay in Arizona for 2 decades without a real owner and a much smaller fanbase, but if San Jose has a few down years they're gonna relocate? Right. I've got some bad news for you, the Sharks are headed for a heartbreak weather Wilson does it intentionally or not, so I guess you better start warming up to the idea of the Quebec Sharks.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Deboer was playing Marleau more 5-on5 than couture and Hertl?? Is that true?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Deboer was playing Marleau more 5-on5 than couture and Hertl?? Is that true?

On average yes but that's because Hertl and Couture play top PP and secondary PK shifts. The difference 5 on 5 on average is 18 and 31 seconds on average as well so it's hardly a big deal and to be expected given the responsibilities of the three players involved. Also, Marleau has earned that ice time.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Lot of people are going to point to us getting to the Western semis last season and be surprised.

This is so overdue. Sharks have look stale and uninspired for a long time now. His system was just not working anymore.

Someone was telling me how Babcock couldn't be fired because we made the playoffs 3 straight years, not Leaf fanning the thread just relating, the Sharks have made it all 4 years under Pete and won rounds all but one time, there is, thankfully, more to coach evaluation than wins and losses.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Lazy summary. The team certainly has personnel problems you can lay at the feet of DW but the coach is also not doing his job when he should be making his system fit the personnel he has rather than forcing it to be a certain way. The goalies playing terribly is in large part because of how they design the system both offensively and defensively. And when things have been shown to go wrong, there is little to no adjustments made to alleviate problems. Plus, a coach will simply hit his expiration date regardless and not be heard by the players. That's just a reality of pro sports. It may be time to move on from DW at the end of the year but moving on from DeBoer was likely overdue. It was only extended by favorable playoff results that they probably shouldn't have gotten with how they were playing down the stretch of last year and the injuries on top of that.

Accurate summary based on the information I’ve read. Wilson chose to sign and not sign players in the offseason. He chose to have little room at the cap. The team he assembled is garbage.

There’s no way this team is making the playoffs given the goals they’re allowing.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Accurate summary based on the information I’ve read. Wilson chose to sign and not sign players in the offseason. He chose to have little room at the cap. The team he assembled is garbage.

Then your information is fundamentally flawed and your logic is still garbage because even if you think the assembled team is garbage doesn't mean that the coach can't be at fault for things directly related to his job. The team should be better than what they've put out there so far even if the roster is a step down from past talents. It's not that much of a step down for this sort of result and if you actually watch the games, it's easy to understand why. They don't play defense consistently enough and they're easy to figure out offensively. Those are coaching issues regardless of your lazy and inaccurate summary.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Then your information is fundamentally flawed and your logic is still garbage because even if you think the assembled team is garbage doesn't mean that the coach can't be at fault for things directly related to his job. The team should be better than what they've put out there so far even if the roster is a step down from past talents. It's not that much of a step down for this sort of result and if you actually watch the games, it's easy to understand why. They don't play defense consistently enough and they're easy to figure out offensively. Those are coaching issues regardless of your lazy and inaccurate summary.

The local Sharks beat reporters are fundamentally flawed then.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The local Sharks beat reporters are fundamentally flawed then.

Depending on who you're referring to, that's a strong possibility...or possibly you just misrepresenting what it is they're saying. I've yet to see anyone credible refer to the goaltending as ECHL level talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->