Sharks fire Peter DeBoer, Bob Boughner named interim head coach

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
1) That's not true at all. Stone signed in vegas sight-unseen. LA is also a pretty attractive market, e.g., kovalchuk (who when he came back, was a hot commodity) picked LA over SJ (thank god). I do think the pacific is the hardest division to sign free agents from, but I think that there is some disparity in desirability between teams, for example --- I think Arizona has more trouble than Calgary.
2) I don't know the financials. I agree that he's rich AF, but maybe he would only hire someone who keeps the team consistently competitive. That's on him, not DW. If DW is making that up, I think the "tank for picks" strategy is pretty lame but I'd be game for it.
Kovalchuck? Sure. I promise you LA has never landed a big name UFA that wasn’t over the hill. I mean they signed Larry Robinson, which sounds great until you realize he was 150 years old at the time.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Thank you Peter DeBoer for this-
2FE14626-146B-417B-B0AA-0DDBF05F9D82.gif

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
1. Is the same for every pacific Division team.
2. Is a made up excuse. The Sharks owner is worth 13 Billion. A drop in attendance for a few years wouldn’t phase him one bit.
Yep. The real issue is that Wilson, probably correctly, believes he would lose his job if he begins to rebuild. So, he tries to put it off as long as possible and puts his future over that of the team. You can certainly argue the firing was necessary, but from the GM's perspective, he's throwing everything he can overboard to stay afloat while the short-term moves he's made the last 3 years are anchors sinking the future of the franchise.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Kovalchuck? Sure. I promise you LA has never landed a big name UFA that wasn’t over the hill. I mean they signed Larry Robinson, which sounds great until you realize he was 150 years old at the time.

Sure --- I think LA mostly has trouble attracting and retaining FAs too; Kovalchuk was an outlier. I think the Kings did a good job icing a team that won two cups under that restriction.

I also think Arizona has more trouble. And some of the Canadian teams probably have it a bit easier.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Duuuude, what's your favorite beer?

1. It's not and any real hockey fan would know and especially a Sharks fan would know this. There are a ton of more attractive reasons to sign with LA for a player because they're vain and we're talking about people who make MILLIONS of dollars a year.

2. Billionaires are billionaires because they obviously horde wealth upon wealth in assets, equity and stock. It's just not as simple as Hasso saying: "oh, we had a deficit of $250 million this year - no worries - I'll just pay for it." It's a known fact - the richer you get, the greedier you get. No way he fronts a loss like that over being able to just selling the asset (SJ Sharks) and investing in something else.

It's ALL about returns on investment and the bay area is a fragile market for hockey. If we tank for a year or two, then he's put in a situation of fronting money because of ticket sales, sponsorships, all sorts of reasons. We've gone over this before - tanking for the Sharks means we're flirting with the line of whether or not the franchise even stays here.
I don’t drink beer.

I’ve been a Kings fan for over 30 years. That you think the Kings are more attractive to UFAs... well I just don’t know what to tell you. The signings over the decades speak for themselves.

And you’re probably right, San Jose is the lone market in the league that couldn’t withstand a few down years with a multi billionaire owner.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Sure --- I think LA mostly has trouble attracting and retaining FAs too; Kovalchuk was an outlier. I think the Kings did a good job icing a team that won two cups under that restriction.

I also think Arizona has more trouble. And some of the Canadian teams probably have it a bit easier.
Kovalchuck wasn’t an outlier, he’s over the hill. The biggest ufa to sign in the Pacific probably ever was Scott Neidermeyer, and that was only because his brother was already on the Ducks. It just doesn’t happen for any pacific division team was my point. It’s not exclusive to San Jose.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah sometimes being they key. He’s the second longest tenured GM in the league right behind another can’t-get-****-done guy in Poile, but hey whatever. The rest of the league is happy to let these guys keep failing at life for eternity. Makes everyone else’s job easier. Wilson should have been gone after this:
View attachment 290037

The Sharks have the most regular season wins and the 2nd most playoff wins since Doug Wilson took office in 2003-2004. I'm plenty fine with criticizing Wilson for the mistakes he made and there was a valid argument that he should've been fired after the gif you posted, but saying he's a "can't-get-shit-done guy" is ridiculous.

Ukapitalo

Jul 5, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
I don’t drink beer.

I’ve been a Kings fan for over 30 years. That you think the Kings are more attractive to UFAs... well I just don’t know what to tell you. The signings over the decades speak for themselves.

And you’re probably right, San Jose is the lone market in the league that couldn’t withstand a few down years with a multi billionaire owner.
1. I know the Sharks weren't in the league yet but - LA signed Gretzky dude. What was SJ's biggest FA signing? Like the other person said, Kovy was deciding between SJ and LA and chose LA....

2. Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not but yeah, they can't for reasons I already laid out.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Kovalchuck wasn’t an outlier, he’s over the hill. The biggest ufa to sign in the Pacific probably ever was Scott Neidermeyer, and that was only because his brother was already on the Ducks. It just doesn’t happen for any pacific division team was my point. It’s not exclusive to San Jose.

While I agree with your general point that all pacific division teams have it hard, Kovalchuk wasn't seen as over the hill when he was making his return, even though it's clear that he was in retrospect. He was over PPG in the K for many years before, and also looked great at the olympics, e.g., winning MVP (albeit against lesser comp)

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
1. I know the Sharks weren't in the league yet but - LA signed Gretzky dude. What was SJ's biggest FA signing? Like the other person said, Kovy was deciding between SJ and LA and chose LA....

2. Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not but yeah, they can't for reasons I already laid out.
Dude... really? Gretzky was traded to the Kings, not a UFA.

once upon a time Rob Blake was deciding between San Jose and LA and chose SJ. Not exactly a rock solid arguement.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
The Sharks have the most regular season wins and the 2nd most playoff wins since Doug Wilson took office in 2003-2004. I'm plenty fine with criticizing Wilson for the mistakes he made and there was a valid argument that he should've been fired after the gif you posted, but saying he's a "can't-get-****-done guy" is ridiculous.
I don’t believe in participation trophies for anyone over 12, but if you’re happy with some regular season banners and playoff moral victories then more power to you.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
The Sharks have the most regular season wins and the 2nd most playoff wins since Doug Wilson took office in 2003-2004.

I think this is the stat that matters --- there's so much luck that goes into winning a stanley cup that it's hard to isolate the exact factors that "caused" anything. Sure, we haven't won a cup. But pinning that on Wilson is IMO still not fair. He's playing the best statistics game he possibly can.

Ukapitalo

Jul 5, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
Dude... really? Gretzky was traded to the Kings, not a UFA.

once upon a time Rob Blake was deciding between San Jose and LA and chose SJ. Not exactly a rock solid arguement.
Yeah and also signed with them afterwards.

Great - so you have one example of someone choosing SJ, not exactly a rock solid argument. We could go back and forth on picking players for days if you'd like. I might run out sooner though...

I'm more interested in how you will debunk my main statement of how the Sharks can't tank.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
What the record for most fired coaches in a season? I predict this is going be the year for that

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
I would love to see the circus that would ensue when combing the babcock show and the kane show together!

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Nope. They haven't had a hard ass since Sutter. It's time.

The criticisms from Leafs fans in regards to the style of play under Babcock were the same that Sharks fans had about PDB:
  • Little to no dzone structure
  • Relying on stretch pass breakouts
  • Perimeter shooting.
The issue with the Sharks isn't the 'hard ass' coach, it's the systems are dated, don't work, and aren't suited to the current playing roster.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
Past time. Getting Spott the F away from the Sharks power play will do wonders I’m guessing. Not sure just a goalie coach change is going to fix Jones and Dell being awful, but I think the rest of the team will start picking it up from here on. Start climbing and maybe pick up a top-6 winger or maybe a non-terrible goalie before the deadline and they’re still there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad