Sharks fire Peter DeBoer, Bob Boughner named interim head coach

Ukapitalo

Jul 5, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
He literally is in charge of the entire organization. Who else’s fault would it be? SIXTEEN YEARS.

[mod] It's called life man - I don't know if you know this, but sometimes things don't go exactly as planned.

Discrediting everything he's done because he hasn't produced a cup is ridiculous. What percentage of GM's employed right now have won a cup with their current team? There's 31 teams - he has a 1 in 31 chance of winning the cup every year... so ya, if he doesn't bring one home in the next 15 years then he's failed.. I guess

Last edited by a moderator:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Acting like everything is his fault. He has some bad trades but generally provides a very good team without making bad deals. Id do most of the things hes done while here.

Some of the longterm deals he handed out in the last few seasons have been pretty questionable but i guess desperation to finally win ?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
you love the guy that assembled this mediocre roster and who has led San Jose to absolutely nothing in 16 years? Weird.

He's easily been one of the best GMs. He's asked to stay competitive and consistently manages to ice great teams and develop key players without tanking. Not to mention his deal for Thornton was the steal of the century.

Reactions: Sandisfan

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Acting like everything is his fault. He has some bad trades but generally provides a very good team without making bad deals. Id do most of the things hes done while here.
He's never assembled a team with a realistic path to win a championship. He's made good to great transactions to keep them afloat, but never with the long term planning necessary.

Reactions: Dicdonya

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
To be fair to Boughner, Joel Quenneville took over in Florida and they are now allowing expected goals at a higher rate under Quenneville than they did under Boughner.

They might still be learning his (Q’s) system. Also, they made egregious mistakes on a regular basis (for two full seasons) under Boughner.

I don’t expect their defensive woes to go away with him as coach.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
[mod] It's called life man - I don't know if you know this, but sometimes things don't go exactly as planned.

Discrediting everything he's done because he hasn't produced a cup is ridiculous. What percentage of GM's employed right now have won a cup with their current team? There's 31 teams - he has a 1 in 31 chance of winning the cup every year... so ya, if he doesn't bring one home in the next 15 years then he's failed.. I guess
Yeah sometimes being they key. He’s the second longest tenured GM in the league right behind another can’t-get-shit-done guy in Poile, but hey whatever. The rest of the league is happy to let these guys keep failing at life for eternity. Makes everyone else’s job easier. Wilson should have been gone after this:
upload_2019-12-11_20-25-22.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
He's easily been one of the best GMs. He's asked to stay competitive and consistently manages to ice great teams and develop key players without tanking. Not to mention his deal for Thornton was the steal of the century.
Which century? 17th? That trade was so long ago half the people here were still in grade school. And it won them nothing. Again, if Sharks fans are stoked for another 16 years of futility, be my guest.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
He's never assembled a team with a realistic path to win a championship. He's made good to great transactions to keep them afloat, but never with the long term planning necessary.

Wait, when we were 2 games away from a cup, you wouldn't call that a realistic path? DW is amazing. He has at least 2 handicaps: 1) no FA will sign in SJ as a UFA without playing here first; 2) the sharks can't tank for high picks like Chicago or Pittsburgh or Edmonton because the fans won't come to games

Under these constraints, he's kept this team consistently competitive and entertaining

BTW --- while the sharks haven't won a cup, hockey is pretty darn random. DW's job is to ice competitive teams and he's done that

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Wait, when we were 2 games away from a cup, you wouldn't call that a realistic path? DW is amazing. He has at least 2 handicaps: 1) no FA will sign in SJ as a UFA without playing here first; 2) the sharks can't tank for high picks like Chicago or Pittsburgh or Edmonton because the fans won't come to games

Under these constraints, he's kept this team consistently competitive and entertaining
No, they were massacred like only one other team in the SCF in the last 20 years. They were extremely fortunate to not get swept, and would have also been outclassed by Washington.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
No, they were massacred like only one other team in the SCF in the last 20 years. They were extremely fortunate to not get swept, and would have also been outclassed by Washington.

Literally every SCF game that year was a one goal game. Every single one. And it went 6 games. That's a massacre??

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

BTW --- while the sharks haven't won a cup, hockey is pretty darn random. DW's job is to ice competitive teams and he's done that

1. Is the same for every pacific Division team.
2. Is a made up excuse. The Sharks owner is worth 13 Billion. A drop in attendance for a few years wouldn’t phase him one bit.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Literally every SCF game that year was a one goal game. Every single one. And it went 6 games. That's a massacre??
Yes, as a Penguins fan I was never concerned they would lose the series after game 1. SJ was possibly the easiest opponent the Penguins had that year.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Yes, as a Penguins fan I was never concerned they would lose the series after game 1. SJ was possibly the easiest opponent the Penguins had that year.

They were the easiest opponent of the blues this year as well. Seems to be a trend.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
2. Is a made up excuse. The Sharks owner is worth 13 Billion. A drop in attendance for a few years wouldn’t phase him one bit.

1) That's not true at all. Stone signed in vegas sight-unseen. LA is also a pretty attractive market, e.g., kovalchuk (who when he came back, was a hot commodity) picked LA over SJ (thank god). I do think the pacific is the hardest division to sign free agents from, but I think that there is some disparity in desirability between teams, for example --- I think Arizona has more trouble than Calgary.
2) I don't know the financials. I agree that he's rich AF, but maybe he would only hire someone who keeps the team consistently competitive. That's on him, not DW. If DW is making that up, I think the "tank for picks" strategy is pretty lame but I'd be game for it.

Ukapitalo

Jul 5, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
Duuuude, what's your favorite beer?

1. It's not and any real hockey fan would know and especially a Sharks fan would know this. There are a ton of more attractive reasons to sign with LA for a player because they're vain and we're talking about people who make MILLIONS of dollars a year.

2. Billionaires are billionaires because they obviously horde wealth upon wealth in assets, equity and stock. It's just not as simple as Hasso saying: "oh, we had a deficit of $250 million this year - no worries - I'll just pay for it." It's a known fact - the richer you get, the greedier you get. No way he fronts a loss like that over being able to just selling the asset (SJ Sharks) and investing in something else.

It's ALL about returns on investment and the bay area is a fragile market for hockey. If we tank for a year or two, then he's put in a situation of fronting money because of ticket sales, sponsorships, all sorts of reasons. We've gone over this before - tanking for the Sharks means we're flirting with the line of whether or not the franchise even stays here.

Reactions: PackShark

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad